Hey guys, there isn't much discussion here so I thought i'd start something up and try get something going.
The thing I wanted to get into is how people build their lists and the reasoning behind it. I'll start by putting up one of my lists and explaining what each piece is there.
- This guy is a support piece untill late game where there isn't much left and he can safely go in and do some work
- A simple cheap weapon
- Anti-magic defense
Halo Ward Ring
- Anti-continuous effects
Potion of Argathon
- For the late game
- A second support piece
- Cheap, easy to cast and has it's uses
- there's precious few things that can increase damage and from the Halodynes this being cast on a friendly target rather than debuffing an enemy helps keep her out of harms way but it is fairly difficult to cast.
- Hoplites, pretty solid basic infantry nothing much to say really
Hill Ogres +1
- Now we have the hard hitters, these guys really do perform when you need to kill something, Grace + Warcry and they do work
- The list doesn't have anything that can easily deal with ethereal models and with not only enchanted attacks but +2 to melee damage rolls against demonic, spectral and undead as a bonus.
So thats one of the lists i've been working with and had some success, The list operates as a bit of a brick list centered around the Demarcon throwing out tactics left right and centre. With that in mind I figured why would I spend a ton of points on combat when I can make awesome use of all his abilities. So with that lets talk about the tactics:
Defiant in Death(DiD) prevents anyone from breaking through and allowing the units a chance to have a full counter attack before dying. The Hoplites with DiD are incredibly annoying to deal with and i've chained them out using the RNG 2 weapons to engage and prevent multiple models/units being able to charge at all as the Hoplites cannot die, in short DiD is just disgustingly good.
Grace of Archallon(Grace) is also amazing making even basic units like Hoplites able to hit high defence and combine that with Warcry and they become a serious threat to even warlords.
Sudden Feat(SF) in effect is like being able to give out another action to a unit and allows some other funky stuff like using Combined Attack then SF back into Phalanx.
The rest of the Demarchons abilities:
Archilochos - allow him to use gain the effect of phalanx
Heroic Valour - A free ACT to a unit/model within 2"
Reverence - This combined with the subfaction ability make it very hard to fail LEAD based tests
So the deployment and first 2 turns usually go the same with the Demarchon and Priestess central and a unit on either side and the Cerberos positioned wherever I feel it's needed, usually to support the Hoplites. Turn 1 I use the Priestess to put up Warcry on the Hoplites, this makes them significantly more threatening and the Ogres generally kill whatever they hit anyway. Turn 2 is the usual jostling for position but this is where I can be cheeky with the Hoplites and put 1-2 in annoying positions preventing charges or just being a nuisance to my opponent.
So yeah, thats 1 of my lists and some of the reasoning behind it. It doesn't include ALL of why's but I always like to keep some things up my sleeve
Feel free to critique and/or add your own lists.