Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...
02-14-2014 08:28 PM
RE: Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...

David Offline
Administrator

Okay so you should set up the table terrain and do not give him the perfect defensive position. Then he choses the table side.

Then you circle with the Gorelord and turn his spellcaster into mincemeat.

If you allow him to get these perfect defensive positions every game then I understand why he wins.

And try playing some other Scenarios besides Open Battle.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2014 09:25 PM

Huscarl Offline

@Soulbound: If you have engaged his Legio Mortum with a Gorelord and a unit of Gut-Hackers, the mortan player must resurrect a battle line of 4 - 5 troopers. If not, one of your melee experts can disengage and break through the hole or move around them, to faze the spellcasters.
But maybe I`m missing something.

@Cyclops: I know that he isn`t released yet. That`s why I wrote when he is released. That was only a suggestion for the future.
Guthackers will be released at the end of next week, as you`ve seen in the news section.

Concerning terrain, I think also you should place the terrain. If there isn`t much impassable terrain on the field, the Banebrood should be able to handle the situation.

@Scenarios: Scenarios like Celestial Vortex, Lost in the Fog or even Fields of the Fallen could turn out to be interesting against such a Magistratum warband. Especially Celestial Vortex, because it forces the mortan player to use his characters and warlord more aggressively.
02-16-2014 09:08 PM

Kevin Offline

Yop, I do know that this a BaneBrood topic but don't wanna open new one Smile
Played today with Legio Mortum Warband. Made it draw but only 'cause my opponent mistook gettin killing points. The Question I do have is why ya can channel through plenty of skeletons. My Opponent did have 6 of them at the start, then raise another 4 and he coud channel the spell through the 4 in bridge effect gettin extra 8" for spell - 28" for Ashes to Ashes or Decay is not fun(and it can go even more inches), esspecialy when skeletons wounded by channeling throught them will replanish their wound bars at the end of the turn. I know that plenty of Models can kill Skeletons easly but if they stay 2" from one another in the straith line even the best combat warlord can kill 3 of them in turn, and still they will be raised again Smile. With Preatorians beetwen magic users and skeletons it's not fun Smile and critical soulbond to stop warlord/character from Slay Mov is definitly not fun Smile
It's not fun even with Oracle that can use Faith Tactic Smile
We're playin a 250 pkt and open battle(last battle at tournament, before we played Sacrifice and Vortexes) and my oponent had Mortifex, 2 Necromagus, 6 Legio Mortum and 4 Pretorians Smile Dunno the exact eqipment and spells Smile

I know that I did not loose, but only 'cause of opponent mistake, and I do feel kinda obligated to complain Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 02:07 AM by Kevin.)
02-16-2014 10:33 PM

Mnil Offline

Unfortunately They don't see any problem that in tournament Magisterium based army is good versus almost everything, while You have to make counter build good only versus Magisterium...
I have mentioned it several times, They will say You same things like i heard Dude.
That's why I don't see the point in continue discussion from my site

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
02-16-2014 10:53 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

If you channel the spell through 4 models you also get -4 to your spellcasting roll!!! Good luck here....

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
02-16-2014 11:11 PM

Kevin Offline

An accually why is that?Smile Havn't notice anythink like that in core rules in channeling section, and Unholy bonding doesn't have anythink like that written.
Kinda thought that it's strange 'cause Halodynes channeling through Sacred Familiar or Statue have -1 but Mortans don't seem so.
But maybe I missed sth Smile
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 01:02 AM by Kevin.)
02-16-2014 11:16 PM

spy Offline

I think that a Magistratum Warband may be strong under certain conditions.
Especially if there is a lot of impassible terrain on the board in combination with a hack and slay game.
Then they may build a fortress that is VERY hard to penetrate.
And spells in combination with channeling will do the rest to win the game.

I guess that such a warband may have problems if they have to play missions where they have to move over the table center for example.
Like the bridges or the vortex missions.

Still I would give a banebrood list a try:
Something like
Gorelord with Blades Minaxos, Gut-plate of Negirrath, Witchweed extract, Urgasth Charm
Fallow Shaman with Long legs, (eventually bugstalk eyes) spells
5x Maldire Mongrels
5x Maldire Mongrels
or
6x Reaver Tribesmen
6x Reaver Tribesmen

This is a 250 Points list. At 250 Points almoust all factions are very limited what they may do against Magistratum.
My personal guess is that at 300+ points the battle would be more balanced.

If I have time next week (I have a Job with a lot of traveling included...) I will try to test such a game.
02-17-2014 08:49 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

(02-16-2014 10:33 PM)Mnil Wrote:  I have mentioned it several times, They will say You same things like i heard Dude.
That's why I don't see the point in continue discussion from my site
Why this negativity?
Your points still stand and are being discussed, but I think it's alright to give them serious consideration before changing anything.

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
02-17-2014 04:13 PM

David Offline
Administrator

(02-16-2014 09:08 PM)Kevin Wrote:  Yop, I do know that this a BaneBrood topic but don't wanna open new one Smile
Played today with Legio Mortum Warband. Made it draw but only 'cause my opponent mistook gettin killing points. The Question I do have is why ya can channel through plenty of skeletons. My Opponent did have 6 of them at the start, then raise another 4 and he coud channel the spell through the 4 in bridge effect gettin extra 8" for spell - 28" for Ashes to Ashes or Decay is not fun(and it can go even more inches), esspecialy when skeletons wounded by channeling throught them will replanish their wound bars at the end of the turn. I know that plenty of Models can kill Skeletons easly but if they stay 2" from one another in the straith line even the best combat warlord can kill 3 of them in turn, and still they will be raised again Smile. With Preatorians beetwen magic users and skeletons it's not fun Smile and critical soulbond to stop warlord/character from Slay Mov is definitly not fun Smile
It's not fun even with Oracle that can use Faith Tactic Smile
We're playin a 250 pkt and open battle(last battle at tournament, before we played Sacrifice and Vortexes) and my oponent had Mortifex, 2 Necromagus, 6 Legio Mortum and 4 Pretorians Smile Dunno the exact eqipment and spells Smile

I know that I did not loose, but only 'cause of opponent mistake, and I do feel kinda obligated to complain Smile

So the Problem is you cannot kill enough Legio Mortum in one turn?
Ignore them - Kill the spell-caster first then kill the Legio Mortum.
When the Skeletons are so widely spaced, you can easily slip through between them and execute the spell-casters.

A buffed warlord should be able to kill 4 Legio Mortum on a charge and 3 for other rounds. when they are so widely spaced, he can easily disengage from 1 Skeleton at the end of his turn, then possible charge again in the next round. But what you really Need to take down a unit of Legio Mortum that is backed by spellcasters is a unit with POW5+ attacks.

Units like Guthackers, Skulleasters, Hill Ogres, Sons of War, Einherjer, Wycca Warriors, Cromlech Guard, etc. they are the perfect destroyers vs. Legio Mortum.

But many other Units can also do the Job if you properly buff them with spells, ordered tactics, self tactics, fight-style and assigned Action Tokens.

For example Fjell Warriors with MEL5 and POW4
Grindstone tactic from the warlord (+1 POW)
Skilled Strike self tactic (+1 MEL)
Offensive fighting style (+1 MEL)
1 assigned Action token

This is an easy Combo which only requires you to activate the warlord first, then the unit. they will then be fighting with MEL7 and POW5, so need 4+ to hit and 3+ to make damage. They will be able to attack, make a MOV Action then make a second attack. The Legio Mortum will not benefit from Deadflesh. With more preparation you could also give them a brew from the Brewer. A unit of 8 Fjell Warriors with 16 attacks in one round is likely to kill score around 11-12 Legio Mortum kills with these probabilities.

With so many attacks, the Mortifex will be unable to use Soulbound enough to save them all. Normally 4-5 times is the Maximum he can do befre taking a healing potion because he suffers D3 damage each time.

So if you engage the Legio Mortum with an elite unit, you can wipe out the Legio Mortum.

Alternatively, if you engage the Legio Mortum with a properly buffed Basic unit, your warlord should be able to Focus on killing the spellcasters.

Regarding chanelling spells, chanelling causes a -1 penalty for each model used to channel through. So a spell channeled through 4 Legio Mortum would suffer -4 on the casting roll.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 04:17 PM by David.)
02-17-2014 05:22 PM

Kevin Offline

If it all would be so easy as ya wrote Smile
I woudn't go as far as to say that Magistratum is impossible to defeat. I make it draw yesterday and I'm realy pround of myself fot that Smile Problem is that Magistratum have one, pretty desent roster that have at least fair chances with all other rosters(at least in my city Tongue ) whereas other armies have to built one roster exaclty to counter that Smile And I woudn't go as far as to say all players from my city don't know how to play, but still almost each of us complain 'bout Magistratum.
2" between skeletons in straight line, not vide one means that spell range is limited only to skeletons number. Still havn't find line in book that suggest chanelling causes -1 penalty for casting spells Smile - please be so kind to give me a page number, 'cause I can't find it Sad
And army list which conteins Mortifex and 2 Necromaguses can make at least 3 new skeletons a turn + cast offensive spells through them.
Yop I do know how to kill planty of skelletons in turn whith pow 4+ but one soulbond on Mortifex and my unit/warlord is stack up in combat Sad

Some of ya also wrote 'bout the terrains - GodSlayer is a skrimish game - the more terrains in game the better Smile