Megalith Games - Official Forums

Exhaustion limit and charges
01-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Exhaustion limit and charges

Zeria Offline

Threads: 23
I just thought of something and I can't seem to find a clear answer in the rules unless I am missing a reference. That is exhaustion limit and the way it interacts with charges, as far as I can see charges are the action cost of the attack type select and you get two times movement +2 or three times movement +2 for free. Exhaustion limit states that you can only spend 3,4 or 5 actions on movement depending on your troop type. So as far as I can see you can charge and then move again 3,4 or 5 times after the charge attack if they had the needed action tokens left,as the initial charge attack is free.

It could lead to some serious movement ranges, for example.

A unit of legionnaire heavy infantry receive an extra action token from their warlord making a total of 5 available for them, on their turn they charge an enemy trooper at there max charge range of 8 inches, they manage to kill him and as the charge attack only cost 2 they still have 3 left for movement , which they then use to move an extra 9 inches . This means a unit which can only normally move 9 inches has moved 17 inches in one turn, of course this is an ideal situation but still it highlights my question.

I am not sure if the act of charging while the movement is technically free if that still counts towards your exhaustion limit, because if it doesn't I can see some very long movements and that just doesn't seem right to me. Such as a unit of Maldire mongrels with long legs and an extra token from their gorelord warlord would in theory be able to move 24 inches in one activation if they managed to kill their charge target.
"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 07:29 PM
RE: Exhaustion limit and charges

Banenoun Offline

Threads: 11
We have always played that the action cost for charging is equal to the attack value you choose to use, but you are still paying for a 'movement action' and therefore count against the limit.
Watch Godslayer reports on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVfpiM...0Uw/videos
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 07:41 PM

Zeria Offline

Yeah that what I have been doing just naturally as it seemed sensible to but I know how the game designers like to have the rules air tight and I couldn't see an official rule for it and not open for abuse. The start of the charging section it does specifically state that " A charge is referred to as a charge action and does not count as a movement action." so I feel it just needs clarification for the exhaustion limit, unless I missed something obvious of course lol
"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2014, 07:50 PM by Zeria.)
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 09:15 PM

OpTi Offline

Threads: 1
pg62 "Charging" paragraph 3 - A charge is referred to as a charge action and does not count as a movement action.

So it would seem as it stands RAW you can indeed charge then move up to your maximum discounting the charge's free movement.

p.s. First post so hi I guess...
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 09:32 PM

Zeria Offline

Hihi opti welcome to the forums Smile
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 09:55 PM

Skylifter Offline

Threads: 13
I don't quite see how this is problematic. Yes, they can suddenly move very far, but why is that a problem?

If your opponent places a model or unit in such a way as to actually enable you to kill them easily and then also make it useful to actually move another 9 inches - or in the case of some faster units even further - then I think it's a perfectly fine thing for that to happen.

In fact, I think you'd more likely use the remaining movement actions to move back, making for a hit-and-run game. This will only be possible against a very unskilled opponent though, at least with normal medium or even heavy infantry.

And with light infantry, I think it is very cool that that is actually viable.
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 10:19 PM

Zeria Offline

It's not so much a problem but more of a fact that with the exhaustion limit rule especially with heavy infantry, that obviously a movement limit was intended for troops and this combo seems to break beyond that limit. So my question was more for a clarification concering how these two rules interact with each other or like me and banenoun seem to have been doing without thinking about it, making it so the charge does indeed count towards the exhaustion limit.
Find Reply
01-31-2014, 11:14 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 22
Rules as written, charging and exhaustion limit have nothing to do with each other.
And this is no problem. Smile
Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
Find Reply
02-01-2014, 01:48 AM

Zeria Offline

Okies thanks for the clarification raoul.
Find Reply
02-01-2014, 03:02 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Threads: 184
Basic Rule is Exhaustion Limit on P61:

"Each model may only only spend a maximum of 4 ACTs for movement during one round. Some Special classes of models have different restrictions as described in the chapter on Model Classifications."

Charge Movement
P63 2nd paragraph in red it says:

"Although a charge includes moveming, this charge movement is free. The ACT cost of a Charge is the ACT cost of the attack to be made."

So you can see that ACT was not spent for movement, so it cannot count towards Exhaustion Limit.

In the same way, Slay Movement also does not count against Exhaustion Limit.

P65:
"If an attacking individual model (not unit models!) manages to destroy the enemy model it charged with ist Charge attack, it immediately gains D3 inches of free movement and on free attack of the same type as it used in the Charge."

Here no ACT was spent for movement so cannot count towards the Exhaustion Limit.

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2014, 03:03 AM by David.)
Find Reply