LoS in melee combat
Megalith Games - Official Forums

LoS in melee combat
12-31-2013 07:27 PM
LoS in melee combat

dottorfive Offline

Hi all, probably a stupid question but i haven't find answers in rulebook (or i'm blind and can't see them)...sorry for my english.

First example: 5 bladeslinger are in close combat with Princeptor, 3 of them are in base contact with each others in melee range, 2 directly behind them but in rage for melee 2" attack.
So question are:
1. I can attack princeptor only with 3 bladeslingers in base contactè
2. I can attack with all of them

Second example: same as previously but the model in melee range have los 2" or more( like troglodyte)...same 1-2 question

Third example: 3 of them are 1" from princeptor, not in base contact with each others so the 2 bladesliger behind them (2", so in melee range) can partially see the base of princeptor but for rules of los is considered ''in cover''...i know that cover is only for melee range but i'm not able to explain in words.
So

Thank you all...happy new year and...play Godslayer!!
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12-31-2013 10:56 PM
RE: LoS in melee combat

spy Offline

(12-31-2013 07:27 PM)dottorfive Wrote:  Hi all, probably a stupid question but i haven't find answers in rulebook (or i'm blind and can't see them)...sorry for my english.
There exist no stupid questions. Only stupid answers...

(12-31-2013 07:27 PM)dottorfive Wrote:  First example: 5 bladeslinger are in close combat with Princeptor, 3 of them are in base contact with each others in melee range, 2 directly behind them but in rage for melee 2" attack.
So question are:
1. I can attack princeptor only with 3 bladeslingers in base contactè
2. I can attack with all of them
The answer is: "1" The 3 models in the front may attack
Since there is no gap between the 3 front models and the sight level is the same for all models involved the LoS is blocked for the 2 other models in the back.
(12-31-2013 07:27 PM)dottorfive Wrote:  Second example: same as previously but the model in melee range have los 2" or more( like troglodyte)...same 1-2 question
The answer is: "2" All models may attack
An unobstructed line of sight may always be drawn to models/objects with a higher sight value than any interposing models even if it is not possible to draw a line of sight to the base of the target model/object. Rulebook page 38 "drawing line of sight through models"

(12-31-2013 07:27 PM)dottorfive Wrote:  Third example: 3 of them are 1" from princeptor, not in base contact with each others so the 2 bladesliger behind them (2", so in melee range) can partially see the base of princeptor.
The answer is: "2" All models may attack
A model has line of sight to another model or an object
as long as an unobstructed line can be drawn from any one
point of the origin model’s base to any part of the object or
anywhere on the target model’s base.
Rulebook page 37 "drawing line of sight"

It is recommeded to leave some gaps between the models so the second rank may attack or shoot and so on.
Even when they use a tactic and need to stay in base contact I would field them in a "W" formation touching each other but leave some gaps between the models.
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013 11:00 PM by spy.)
01-01-2014 05:44 AM
RE: LoS in melee combat

dottorfive Offline

Thank you very much...i suppose answers but i'd like tu be sure!