Banebrood vs. Wyldfolk [300 points] - Fields of the Fallen
Megalith Games - Official Forums

12-11-2013 12:15 AM

Banenoun Offline

Hey guys

we are going to record another game this week; 300 points playing the Fields of the Fallen scenario.

Conrad's Banebrood:

Gorelord
Blades of Minaxos
Hornplate Armour
Parasite Talisman
Fleshmorph Draft

Pestbringer
Bubonic Plague
Gutrot Plague

Fallow Shaman
Monstrous Mutation Spell Long Legs
Monstrous Mutation Spell Bugstalk Eyes

Fallow Shaman
Malevolent Mutation Spell Atrophy 4
Malevolent Mutation Spell Jellify 7

Ursapine
6 Maldire Mongrels

My Wyldfolk:

Pendragon
Mammoth kilt
Boar Mask
Potion of Speed
Bloodleaf Blades
Composite Bow

Bard
Beasthunter
5 Bladeslingers
4 Bladeslingers

Druid
Golden Sickle
Fury of Mabdus
Transfer Monument

Ogham Megalith

I have not played most of these models before (Druids and Beasthunters I have some experience with though) but their abilities look good on paper. I think Banebrood vs. Wylfolk is a well matched game, and I am looking forward to it.

I will post the link here when we are done, but in the meantime, who do you think has the edge here, if anyone? Does anyone have any advice for us (we both read these boards) before we play? Perhaps you just want to comment on the lists and offer your opinions - feel free!
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013 03:15 AM
RE: Banebrood vs. Wyldfolk [300 points] - Fields of the Fallen

David Offline
Administrator

With these lists my money is on Conrad.

Your Wyldfolk warband is squishy and shooty. That works nicely against slower warbands because you can get in a couple of rounds of Shooting, then make Long-Charges with your light-infantry and use your 2-inch MEL-range spears to get in a round of attacks before being counter-attacked.

It works well against many warbands, and I have even seen a Cyclops executed by 6 Bladeslingers in a single round....however...

In this case you are facing a damn fast enemy. The Gorelord can move 16 inches and charge 12 inches even without buffing. With Longs Legs spell, that becomes 20 inches movement and 14 inches Charge range. With upgraded Long Legs he can move 25 inches and Charge 19 inches! Same for the Ursapine. The Mongrels are almost as lethal.

So you will probably lose your main advantages, which are charge speed, maneuverability, and 2 rounds of shooting.

Of course it also depends a lot on the table. If you have some rough terrain (rubble and thick grass etc), your models with Wildwalker ability will be able to retreat through it safely and shoot over it, and the Banebrood will have difficulty following. Conversely, if there are buildings and forest, you will have poor line of sight for shooting.

But I recommend to use plenty of Terrain (all kinds), because that will make the game more tactical.

There are great things you can do with the Megalith, but this largely relies on storing Action tokens. The Banebrood will be on top of you in round 2, so you will have little chance to store any ACT.

With skillful Play most players could get a Wyldfolk draw with with this match-up, but you will need inspired strategy and good rolls to get a serious victory.

Knowing as you do what you are facing, I would make the warband a little tougher. Maybe drop the Megalith and the Bard, giving you 43 Points. Then cash in the 4 Bladeslingers and adjust the items so you can get 4 Cromlech Guard for 90 points.
12-11-2013 08:22 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

I don't see it as bad as David! True, the banebrood a damn fast, but they lack in numbers. Even with only one round of firing (if you use the difficult terrain well you can have two - think about the thornwall seeds Wink) you can take out some mongrels (fury of mabdus also works for ranged attacks...), which can be enough to force some bravery tests. And though the Gorelord is a fast melee monster, who can whipe out a whole unit in a single turn, he is not the best armoured warlord and thus will be killed if thrown alone against two buffed units of bladeslinger. The Beasthunter is perfect to slow down and/or kill the ursapine and is a match for the pestbringer as well. And with your potion of speed and the stored ACT in the megalith in combination with your bloodleaf blades the pendragon can singlehanded win the game when the time is right.

So I would give it a try (though I really love / hate the cromlech guard - depends on which side I am... Wink I played against them really often, and they are feared with right, I can tell you...)

I always recommend to make your own experiences. What didn't work for other players could be the best solution for your playing style. Often people have bad / good luck with some units / items / whatever and then tell you, it is the worst / best / etc. ...

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 08:29 AM by Simon.)
12-11-2013 12:30 PM

nepalese_ninja Offline

And then there is always the fact that he is playing me ofc ;-)

I'm looking forward to the game as I am trying out some new stuff in terms of items on the gorelord and spells on the shaman.

Then there is ofc the fact that I am playing against a completely new faction which is always fun as you get to see what they are like and can do.

Resistance is Futile
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 12:32 PM by nepalese_ninja.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2013 09:42 PM

David Offline
Administrator

I don't see it as bad as David!

Well I dont see it like Simon :-)

True, the banebrood a damn fast, but they lack in numbers. Even with only one round of firing (if you use the difficult terrain well you can have two - think about the thornwall seeds Wink) you can take out some mongrels (fury of mabdus also works for ranged attacks...), which can be enough to force some bravery tests.

That's very optimistic simon. Remember the Bladeslingers' long range missile attack is 16 inches. The Charge range of the Mongrels with regular Long-Legs spell is 3X4 +2+2 =16 inches plus 1 Inch melee range! So maybe you want to re-think your missile attacks plan :-)
To take These guys down with Missile weapons you need Scabhta Hunters buffed with Druid and preferably the Farfarer too.

And though the Gorelord is a fast melee monster, who can wipe out a whole unit in a single turn, he is not the best armoured warlord and thus will be killed if thrown alone against two buffed units of bladeslinger.

The Bladeslingers do not have enough POW with ranged attacks to kill the gorelord. With melee attakcs they will never get the chance because they will get charged due to superior Banebrood charge range.

The Beasthunter is perfect to slow down and/or kill the Ursapine and is a match for the pestbringer as well.

True. The Beasthunter is awesome at hunting beasts!

And with your potion of speed and the stored ACT in the megalith in combination with your bloodleaf blades the pendragon can singlehanded win the game when the time is right.

Not this game. There will not be enough time to store enough ACT to make a big difference.
So in one round the Pendragon could leach 2 ACT from the Megalith and gets maybe 3 from the potion, so has in the best case 11 ACT, so 6 attacks with Bloodleaf blades - very deadly. Yes he could kill the Gorelord, but he will probably die in the process.

I think the Wyldfolk warband is a cool list, but against Conrad's banebrood list it will be very challenged.
Anyway, I am really looking for ward to seeing the game!
Including the ending :-)
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 09:44 PM by David.)
12-12-2013 12:04 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

I only say this: Just because a unit has the longer charge range doesn't mean that they will charge every time! A lot depends on terrain, tactic (for example "bait"-unit etc.) and other things such as who wins the priority-roll Wink

12-12-2013 12:46 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

These are things best decided on the field of battle, not on paper. Big Grin

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
12-12-2013 01:25 AM

David Offline
Administrator

(12-12-2013 12:04 AM)Simon Wrote:  I only say this: Just because a unit has the longer charge range doesn't mean that they will charge every time! A lot depends on terrain, tactic (for example "bait"-unit etc.) and other things such as who wins the priority-roll Wink

That's true, and just because it charges also doesn't mean it will escape without heavy casualties.

Anyway if you are so confident with this Wyldfolk list then next time we meet, you can Play Baneouns list and I will Play Conrad's list and I will crush you like usual (NOT!) :-)

Baneoun, if you decide to stick with your warband list, then here's my advice:
A) Play with lots of terrain items on the battlefield, including some rough Terrain that does not block line of sight.
B) Give your warlord Verdant Tattoos so that he gains Concealment and can then avoid being charged most of the time.
C) Use the Beasthunter in melee against the Ursapine, Pestbringer and Gorelord.
D) Consider using the Bard's Curse of Cendor song to counteract the Gorelord's Intimidating Growl so that you can get the Mongrels to fail a Bravery test.
E) Unless you have a cunning plan for the Transfer Monument spell, I would change it for something less situational like Swiftness of Aridhia (which will give you +1 strike rank so it does not matter if you get charged!)
F) Use the 2-inch range of your spears whenever possible.
G) Roll lots of sixes!
12-12-2013 05:13 AM

Till Offline

I would give the edge here to the Banebrood. Simply because they bring straight forward pressure and are not reliant on terrain and or strategy.

In a Szenario like Usurper the Wyldfolk simply cannot afford to get close to the victory points generating zone and the Banebrood will definitly earn the first Victory points.

If the Szenario is straight forward killing then it much depends on the terrain. If there are big blobs of rough terrain then I would give the edge to the Wyldfolk who should win the war of attrition if they get one or two rounds of shooting.

The weakness if you could call it so of the Banebroods is I think that the Long Legs spell is only on 1 Shaman. I think I would try to use the secret position of the Beasthunter to snipe out exactly that one Shaman. That reduces the charge ranges drastically and the Banebroods should be a lot easier to handle. With average die rolls it shouldn't work. With a bit of support it should work. So the first game making decision would be the dance around each other and the attempt to out activate so that the beast hunter gets its snipe chance on the long legs Shaman. Granted the Beasthunter is afterwards toast, but then the afforementioned war of attrition begins. He charges something in to get the Beasthunter. That can get shot down by your Bladeslingers. Maybe he manages to run something over then to your Bladeslingers but that can get charged by the Pendragon and your other character models etc.

But when they don't have an upgraded Long Legs on them its unlikely that he will be able to charge your 2nd line of skirmish in round 2.

If you can't get the Long Legs shaman I think I would try to snipe out 3 Mongrels. If you win the priority roll in the following round you should be able to get rid of another 2 or 3 Mongrels. Then all his punching power is reduced to the Ursapine and the Gorelord. Again you should win the war of attrition or model exchange then.

So even if I would favour the Banebrood a bit, the Wyldolk is in the way more interesting and play making position.

As the Banebrood player I would have put Long Legs because of that on both Shamans together with a second offensive Plague. That way the list wouldn't be vulnerable to such an assasination and both shamans have something to do when they are close to their units as well as to the enemy. It may also simply happen that the Shaman rolls bad on the casting roll. A 5- on the casting roll may simply mean that there is no charge the round they need it. If the Banebrood have the spell on both shamans then they would have a backup plan to still get that game winning charge. Or they simply could get two instead of only that one charge.
12-12-2013 08:20 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Good points Till. And keep in mind that there can also be a bladeslinger strike team in secret deployment through dugout as well! And the banebrood has not enough forces to deal with all hidden markers, but can't rush forward headless since that leaves his (slow due to their ACT's used for casting their spells) shamans exposed!

Maybe swap the bard (since there are no fearcausing models in your warband and all units already have long charge, there is no big need for him, except to raise the moral...) to a second druid (omens can also buff a unit (even two when cast twice) and with a second spell and his healing herbs he is more versatile) and the transfere monument to a more offensive/buffing spell (with carefull planing you can place it right from the beginning, though I see that this will lead to much less tactical flexibility since your opponent knows where you want to fight - on the other hand, you can use this as well....hmmmm....to much possibilities....)