Megalith Games - Official Forums

a few questions ! :)
07-17-2013, 09:47 PM
a few questions ! :)

biadetic Offline

Threads: 2
Hi there everyone. So had my first game today! Was awesome. Just a few things came up that could use a hand with.

1) counter attacking. Lets say unit A is attacking unit B. Unit B elects to counter attack. Now. Does every model in unit B immediately make an attack that strikes at the same time as unit A? Or, do only the models in B specified as the defender get to make a counter attack? If so, can they counter attack more than once?

Same question goes to individual models. If my unit of 3 attacks an individual model who elects to counter attack, what happens? Can he only strike back once or would he have to spend the action points again to counter attack a second time?

2) I got a little confused with my hoplites. They state they can attack through their own models at a negative modifier. Does this mean that you can't normally? So if my unit was placed with 3 models at the front and 3 directly behind them, would the back three not be able to attack normally?
On a related note, if a unit is placed as mentioned above, if engaged in combat and the enemy had a range 2-3 weapon, could they strike at the enemy in the back of the unit?

Thanks. Smile
Find Reply
07-17-2013, 10:16 PM
RE: a few questions ! :)

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 22
Okay, I try to make it short and clear. If I fail to do so, I will gladly expand on these matters. Smile

1) Counter attacks are covered on p. 71/72 of the rulebook. If you declare a counter-attack with a unit (must be declared before the attacker rolls dice), the unit and thus every model of the unit is passively activated. You choose the melee attack type, spend the action tokens and roll to hit.
Important: Counter attacks can only target models/units which attacked the unit before in melee. So not just the models that got attacked can make counter attacks, but all models of an attacked unit, as long as they can make valid attacks against models who attacked their unit before.
You can make one counter-attack against each attack. That means you can counter-attack several times as long as you have action tokens left, but only once against every attack.
Same goes for individual models. To stay with your example: If a unit of three models makes an attack action against a single model, this model can declare and make one counter-attack action. If the unit attacks again, the individual model can make a second counter-attack.
So if an individual model has 5 ACT and a 2 ACT-attack and gets attacked by the 3 models, it can spend 2 ACT and make an attack, but not 4 ACT to make two counter-attacks at once. However, if they attack again, it can spend another 2 ACT to counter-attack again.
Of course, if a model has a special rule that allows several attacks as part of the same attack action (like ambidextrous fighter), it could choose to make such an attack as its one counter attack action.

2) You normally need a line of sight to attack models in your melee range. Bases of other models block LOS. So you normally cannot attack over bases, even over the bases of your own unit members. Same goes for the attacker. So you could basically protect models within a unit by hiding them in the last rank (although that would hinder them from attacking as well).
The Hoplites rank fighting allows to ignore this rule for the bases of their own unit members.
Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
Find Reply
07-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 3
Regarding point 2:

If the attacking model has a greater sight value then the unit (and the models behind are in range of course) it has LOS and thus can choose the models in the second rank as valid targets.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
Find Reply
07-19-2013, 07:59 AM

Khazrak Offline

Threads: 8
Or you leave tiny slits open between the bases to get LOS. Wink

Doesn't work always with certain tactics but common way to play here.
Find Reply
07-19-2013, 09:36 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 22
And absolutely legit. Smile
Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
Find Reply
07-21-2013, 10:36 PM

biadetic Offline