So how many points?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

So how many points?
09-29-2013 12:08 PM
RE: So how many points?

David Offline
Administrator

I love to spend 3-4 hours on a game, so in my opinion 500-600 points is my favorite game size. It has a lot of strategic challenge.

Bigger games are even better in my opinion.

BUT it is important to start small. Learn all the Basics of the rules, then all the finer points. Learn how to use each unit and model. Learn some Basic strategies for your faction, and then learn the enemy strengths and weaknesses.

At that point, play becomes very fast, because you do not need to think much about what to do, and there are no rules questions to check. So 500-1000 Point games are a realistic and fun option.

But really, it makes most sense to work up to that level gradually.

And secondly, games with 2 People run faster than games with 4 People. Less discussion and waiting for opponent dice rolls = a faster game.

At some big game size the rules might become unwieldy (after all, Godslayer is a skirmish game, not a wargame), but I have yet to see that point.

Still, most of Godslayer's Playtesters generally prefer around 300 - 350 Points because they are busy guys with real lives :-)

One reason I like big games is that if I make a serious mistake, it doesn't mean I am ruined. Ist still possible to score a mild victory or a draw even against another experienced Player.

Because every decision is more important in a small game, they are perhaps more exciting and challenging.

Its really a matter of taste.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2013 09:23 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

For me 400 points are the optimum battle level! The game is big enough to get in a lot of your favorite models (though you always want to have more... Wink) but still can't take everything in (so you are forced to make some hard decisions depending on your battle plan, leaving some excitement for further games). It is quite fast and still relatively easy to overlook. And if you compose your warband with a battleplan in mind and it becomes even faster Wink

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
09-30-2013 10:46 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Yes 400 points is a nice compromise between large and small games, allowing good flexibility of Options.

For me the deciding factor is how long I want to spend playing a game. Because I also like wargames, I tend to prefer long games with lots of minis. Then I dont need to make difficult decisions about what to leave out :-)

160 point Starter-box games are perfect for a short break and for learning the game. Once you know the rules and models very well, 160 points is like a 30 minute game. They are short, brutal, exciting and unforgiving of mistakes.

300 Points is a fun short game, perhaps 90 minutes plus/minus. 300 points allows you to field a decent sized warband with a couple of units, a warlord and support. It also means dice luck has little impact on the final result. Strategy is very important, and so is positioning. they force you to Focus, especially on the warband composition, and one serious mistake will eman the difference between a victory and a draw.

400 points is a meaty game which probably results in multiple important combats spread across the board (as opposed to an important pile-up in one Location which minor combats outside). It also allows more strategy (in my opinion) but less focus on warband composition. A serious mistake at this size doesn't necessarily mean catastrophe, and luck of the dice plays Little role.

500-550 points allows lots of big units to be fielded, like a Halodynes warband with 5X10 Hoplites, or a Trogs warband with 70 Reaver Runts and 4 Grondah Filthlings! :-)
So you can create some serious battles with 500-550 Points.

And you can make some really themed warbands because you are allowed to increase the DPL Limit of every unit by +1 after 500 points. In that way you can make a Halodyne warband with 2 Oracles and 3 priestesses or a Or a Banebrood warband with 15 Guthackers and 3 Balescorch Cyclopses.

So ist all fun whatever battle size you chose. I think more important is the Scenario and creating a narrative for the battle.