Noordgard vs. Halodynes 499 pts Open Battle
Megalith Games - Official Forums

03-11-2013 10:54 PM

CplHicks Offline

Khazrak and me crossed swords, axes, spears and falxs on saturday. :-D

All below is written from memory, Khaz might add to that.

He had three squads Fjellwarriors, one squad Fimbul Toughborns, two Fjellgangers, his mighty Warsmith and the drunkar... ah, Brewer of Ordhrodir.

I had a Demarchon with Hoplon, Bronze Spear, Helmet of the Gods, Amulet of Mist and a Major Healing Potion. A Sanctum Priestress with Seraphic Shield, Arrow Protection and Crumbling Rust. Two Syntarchs, 9 Hoplites, 5 Hill Ogres and 5 Amazon Hunters.

The terrain was quite nice. There were some good amounts of walls and fences crisscrossing the field, two big woods about in the center left and right of the field, a large cemetary piece and a little bit of hills.

Deployment: I chose the side (as Khazrak had set up) where I had a cemetary to my right in front of my deployment zone and one of the woods to the left close to the middle of the board. I set my Hoplites in the middle, with the Demarchon to its right, the Priestress behind. The Ogres and a Syntarch to the left of the Hops behind the wood and on the right flank my Amazons and the Syntarch.

Khazrak had his Fjellwarriors on my left, close togther with the Warsmith and a Fjellganger. On the right to that was the second wood with the Fimbul behind and the second Fjellganger.

I can´t remember the order of all the individual activations so I summarize.

Turn 1: My Ogers and the Syntarch apporach behind the wood. The Hops and the Demarchon advance to a wall in the middle. The Amazons relocate to the middle from the flank. The Syntarch on the right flank apporaches a little forward.

Khaz troops advance too, the Fimbul into the wood, the Fjellganger besides them advances around the wood closer to the Syntarch. The Fjellganger besides the Fjellwarriors advances quite a bit to the middle in front of the Hops. The Fjellwarriors and Warsmith move up, too.

Turn 2: My Amazons start, but do not manage to put real hurt on the Fjellganger in the middle. The Ogres and Syntarch go into the wood, closer to the flank of the Fjellwarriors. The Hops stay in place while the Demarchon moves to a position behind the wood between Hops and Ogres/Syntarch. The Syntarch on the right flank, feeling lonely due to the Amazons relocating advances to taunt the Fjellganger to run into his counterstrike.

Khaz moves his Fjellwarriors to the edge of the wood, in a way that my Ogres can´t see them and thus can´t charge. The Warsmith moves up besides the Fjellganger in front of his troops. The Ganger then charges up the middle into the triangle between the Demarchon, the Hops and the Sanctum Priestress that had moved up behind a wall. He fails to do damage though. The other Fjellganger is more succesful and mashes my Syntarch into pulp despite his counterstrike. Well, at least some damage is dealt before he ends as a smear on the Gangers club. ^^
The Fimbul move out from the wood to behind a tomb and activate their Aoe shot thingy and place that on my Hoplites.

Turn 3: My Ogres move up and try to do proper Fjellbashing. Ogres 1 to 4 fail quite miserably despite many juicy targets to hit at 7+. Ogre number 5 kills 4 Fjellwarrior though at least. My Demarchon puts some well damage on the Fjellganger without killing him though. The Hops don´t do damage either. The Amazons shoot the Warsmith but hardly damage him. The rest of shots fail to damage Fjellwarriors sticking out behind the wood.

Khaz manages to kill an Ogre with his Fjellganger counterattacks and wounds two others. The Syntarch besides the Ogres is killed by Fjellwarriors as I forgot to activate him instead of the Demarchon who would have had some time still. The Fimbul keep up the Aoe thingy on my Hops, neutering them very much (Hops have wetcardboardarmour against shots ;-) and thus I do not dare to move them. The Fjellganger on the other sides starts tomove up through the cemetary tomy Hops right flank. The brewer spreads his liquid courage around and thus happily buffs his comrades.

Turn 4: My Ogres kill more Fjells but still do not manage to wipe em all out. *lesigh* Not at least due to the def-buff they got from the Brewer. ;-) On the other hand the Fjellganger in the love triangle is killed by the Demarchon and Hops. The Priestress still keeps up the Seraphic Shield on the Ogres and tries to avoid being killed. The Amazons try to shoot things but I can´t exactly remeber what. I think it was the Fjellganger coming up through the cemetary, putting some hurt on him. Ah, and one of the Fimbul Toughborn.

Khaz manages a severe blow on my Demarchon. The Warsmith manages to just get him with his Rift ability, knocking him down. And to add insult to injury, the Fjellwarrior squad that was able to avoid the Ogres follows the path the Fjellganger took before and charges the Demarchon, killing him too easily for my taste. *doublesigh* The Fjellganger jumps over the cemetary wall and engages both Hops right flank and the Amazons. Those were still standing behind the Hops as they had been locked in place, too, due to the Fimbuls Aoe tactic. Some damage there but nothing significant fortunately.

Turn 5: The Ogres finally get rid of the last Fjellwarriors of the first squad. The Hoplites and Amazons fight against the Fjells that killed the Dem and charged first. They kill some but not much. I shot a little on the Fimbul, too but didn´t do anything. The Fjellganger on the other side dies though fortunately skewered by spears.

As already mentioned, the Fjellwarriors that killed the Demarchon charge my left flank and kill plenty. The 4 Fjells that are left from the second squad are nicely boosted by the Warsmith and kill the rest of the Hoplites except for two. The Fimbul shoot directly for the first time but don´t kill anything. They again use their overwatch ability then.

Turn 6: The two Hillogres are too far away behind the wood to attack anyone. The last two Hops don´t kill anything. The Amazons kill one or two but that is neglectable. The Sanctum Priestress flees away from the battleline in order to tell the tale of the heroic sacrifice that the last two Hoplites and the last two amazons then suffer at the hands of the Nordgard troops. ^^

Khazrak killed 160 points more then me, thus giving him a good victory. Had I killed one Fimbul in turn 5 it would have been a draw. Such is life. ;-)

The End

Summary: An awesome game all in all. No major tactical gimps on either side but room for improvement. E.g. my Syntarchs. Esp. the one besides the Hillogres could have done more damage had I activated him instead of the Demarchon. My Hillogres were amazing in theory except for the fact my dice rolls failed me for two rounds. I probably should have left the Amazons on my right flank, too. Together with my Syntarch they should have managed to get rid of the Fjellganger. Then they could well have gone after the FimbulToughborn that managed to gimp my Hoplites for a good part of the game. The loss of the Demarchon seems to me being the turning point of the game as at this point my flank raveled up.

Looking forward to the next game. :-D
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 10:57 PM by CplHicks.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013 12:31 PM
RE: Noordgard vs. Halodynes 499 pts Open Battle

David Offline
Administrator

Sounds like a really cool battle!
How many points was it?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013 12:37 PM

Martin Offline

499 :-) blind old man *duck & weave

Don't forget the Halmyr!
03-12-2013 12:52 PM

Khazrak Offline

We played 499 points and I have to admit, that blocking the Hill Ogres in the woods was my only idea to cripple them a bit. Those guys are really terrifying!

I have to admit that when the Hill Ogres in their very first fighting round would have rolled better dice, I'd have had a real big problem.
On the other hand, I made some mistakes, too, like moving the 2 flanking Fjellgangrs alone too far into the enemy battle lines and so kind of sacrificing them, in order to generate pressure on the whole enemy army.

The Warsmith managing to "throw the Demarchon on the floor" was a lucky thing, as the 4" were quite close and then it was easy for the Fjellwarriors to surround him like a swarm of locusts and hack him to pieces. Buffed with Grindstone and with the Charge Bonus, they easily penetrated his armour.

I think, too, that this was kind of the turning point in this game as a Halodyne warband with a Demarchon is kind of dependent on this aweseome supporter.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 12:54 PM by Khazrak.)
03-13-2013 09:14 PM

Huscarl Offline

Thanks for the report, Khazrak & CplHicks!
Always interesting to read!
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 09:15 PM by Huscarl.)
03-14-2013 01:05 AM

CplHicks Offline

You´re welcome. :-)

Next time I´ll try to make the activation sequences better visible as this is a central aspect of the game. And some pictures wouldn´t hurt either. ^^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2013 02:56 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Yeah some photos would be great for the next game.

Hill Ogres are terrifying offensively but their weakness is DEF12 and average ARM of 7. Even with 10 LPs they are slightly squishy. even Mongrels and Legionnaires can take them down.

Ideally, when facing them, you want to thin this unit with your missile troops before melee. And you defintiely want to be the charger, because if they counter attack your charge attacks, then they cannot use their awesome Circular Slash or Thunderous Charge.

499 is my preferred game size. I think you can great strategic challenges and options with warbands of 499 points.
03-14-2013 02:25 PM

CplHicks Offline

As I told you at the Tactica, pictures are also a little bit hampered by our heavy use of proxies. ^^ But we are working on that.