Sudden Feat
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Sudden Feat
03-11-2013 09:02 AM
Sudden Feat

Skylifter Offline

The demarchon's tactic "sudden feat" allows a friendly model/unit to immediately use a tactic for free. It goes on to say that it even does that when the target already used a tactic this round. So if I use it on a model/unit after that model/unit activated, the model/unit can effectively use two tactics this round.

However, if I use it on a model/unit before its own activation, may the model still use a tactic during its activation? After all, it has already used a tactic that round, and the rules text of sudden feat only allows to use it in exception to the one-tactic-per-round-rule when the target already did use a tactic that round.

So if, say, I activate my demarchon, use sudden feat on a syntarch to put paean on a unit of hoplites, then activate the syntarch, can he still use counter-strike that activation?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013 12:13 PM
RE: Sudden Feat

PraetorDragoon Offline

"This tactic is performed as a passive activation and may be performed even when the target unit/model already used a tactic this round."
- Demarchon Sudden Feat

Yes. You can use another tactic.

(Read the cards. Read them carefully.)
03-11-2013 01:31 PM

Christian Offline

The only thing you must look after is, that a Self Tactic overrides a previous given Self Tactic and so on.
03-11-2013 03:33 PM

Khazrak Offline

(03-11-2013 12:13 PM)PraetorDragoon Wrote:  "This tactic is performed as a passive activation and may be performed even when the target unit/model already used a tactic this round."
- Demarchon Sudden Feat

Yes. You can use another tactic.

(Read the cards. Read them carefully.)

Yes, but I think, his question is still valid, even after reading carefully. Because reading "carefully", I see the word "used" - simple past. So, going strictly by the text, it would only help when they already activated before and made a tactic. Then the Demarchon could activate and let them start another tactic. However not the other way round.

Now, Christian and Simon said it's ok, but beforehand pointing to careful reading led to the actual problem and didn't solve it. Wink
03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Fenris Offline

I´m with Khazrak here. I think the second tactic must be the one from sudden feat. In Simons example the Hoplites could use Combined Attack and if the Demarchon activates later he can use sudden feat so that the Hoplites can use Phalanx.

A little clarification would be nice. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
03-11-2013 05:37 PM

Skylifter Offline

That's it, Khazrak & Fenris. I did read the card very, very carefully, so carefully, in fact, that I realised that there is simple past in that sentence. Not carefully enough to realise that it only works on self tactics, though.

@Christian & Simon: So I can still use a tactic with the hoplites during their own standard activation even though they will already have used a tactic that round? Now on reading all this, it seems that would actually be clearly against the rule text.
03-11-2013 08:45 PM

Skylifter Offline

Okay, thanks for clearing that up. And while this makes it more difficult to use than I first thought, it also goes to show that Godslayer is a very exact game - which I really like.
03-12-2013 11:20 AM

André Offline
Administrator

Ahoi!

We had a discussion about that yesterday and first I got the impression that it is correct as Christian stated it, but actually this rule needs to be clarified!

This is what the rule says:

This tactic is performed as a passive activation and may be performed even when the target unit/model already used a tactic this round.

Ok, so here´s the issue with the current clarification:
the intention was that a model or a unit can still benefit from SUDDEN FEAT even when they have already performed a tactic this round. That´s how it is stated right now.

We did not think about the other way around because if a model or a unit benefitted from SUDDEN FEAT before they got activated, they did not yet perform a tactic by their own. They were just affected by SUDDEN FEATwhich is a passive activation and this not counting as performing a tactic on their own... That´s why we did not mention this scenario because it was clear to us that the model/unit has not yet performed a tactic in this round and may of course still do so after benefitting from SUDDEN FEAT.

Ok, so a model/unit may always perform another tactic no matter if they already benefitted from SUDDEN FEAT or not Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 11:25 AM by André.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013 11:57 AM

CplHicks Offline

Now this makes Sudden Feat exponentially more useful. Put this in an errata please to have it codified. The current wording definitly is too ambiguous.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 12:02 PM by CplHicks.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013 04:43 PM

Skylifter Offline

Oh, okay. But they will still not be able to charge since they performed a passive activation, right?