Megalith Games - Official Forums

halving damage and armour (protection rolls/ethereal etc.)
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
halving damage and armour (protection rolls/ethereal etc.)

Rhunmaki Offline

Threads: 5
So, the question is simple:
Do You halve the incoming damage before the subtraction of armour or afterwards?
We discussed this a plenty in our playgroup and didn't come up with a satisfying solution.
Now the german quick start rules imply that You first halve the damage and then subtract the armour.
That would make some models ridiculous tough.
Das Chaos ist überall, selbst in der Ordnung.

To know when you are in heaven, you must go through hell.
Find Reply
01-08-2013, 04:33 PM
RE: halving damage and armour (protection rolls/ethereal etc.)

André Offline
Administrator

Threads: 162
the damage should be halved after it has been determined how much damage a model suffers, so after the ARM has been deducted. let me check the german quick-start rules and fix it if it is unclear.
Website Find Reply
01-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Rhunmaki Offline

I must thank You.
Your answers are always quick, polite and precise. Its fascinating how dedicated You, guys work on Your game and how much heartblood You put into it.
And I think You just brought out on of the best skrimish games I have seen so far. I am a hugh fan of Your work and I just wanted to say this:

Please keep up Your wonderful work and I wish You the best for everything.

P.S.: I will try not to annoy You with my rule-fanatism...

Find Reply
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM

André Offline
Administrator

@rhunmaki: thanks a lot! we try our best because we are really dedicated to godslayer! but I have a question: what exactly do you think makes the rule about halving damage unclear in the german quick-start rules? I couldn't really find it...
Website Find Reply
01-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Rhunmaki Offline

Ok, I wil try it in english... When I fail, I will answer it in german in the other forum. ^^

You speak about receiving damage. The damage taken is 2d6 + POW then You substract from the damage your armour. That amount are your "lost lifepoints". German QSR page 8

Ethereal (as seen on the Valkyr card in the QSR page 2) says: the Valkyr receives only halve damage from non-enchanted attacks.

You do not say that Your "lost lifepoints" are damage. BUT You receive damage and then you halve the incoming damage...

I don't know if it's clear, so in german:

Im Deutschen steht, dass man Schaden in Höhe von 2W6 + STK bekommt, davon dann seine Rüstung abziehen soll und das sind dann die verlorenen Lebenspunkte. Genauer steht da sogar: "Nun wird der RST-Wert des getroffenen Modells vom Schaden abgezogen. Das Ergebnis ist die Anzahl an Lebenspunkten, die das Modell verliert." Deutsche QSR Seite 8

Bei der Walküre steht: "Die Walküre erleidet halben Schaden von nicht-verzauberten Attacken." Deutsche QSR Seite 2

So, dass heißt im wort-wörtlichen Sinne, dass man Schaden erhält durch ätherisch den Schaden halbiert und dann die Rüstung abzieht. Weil der Schlüsselbegriff "Schaden" nur für den Wert benutzt wird, der vor der Rüstung ist. Danach sind es Lebenspunkte die das Modell verliert. Es wird leider nicht erwähnt, dass das ebenfalls "Schaden" ist.

Und einmal kurz in Deutsch, weils einfach die Muttersprache ist:
Ich finde Eure Arbeit super und bin absolut begeistert von Godslayer. Meine Spielgruppe und ich im Speziellen sind nur absolute Regelfanatiker und versuchen immer die Regel möglichst präzise zu verstehen wie sie gemeint sind. Was dann auch schon mal in argen Diskussionen ausarten kann. (Was uns Spaß macht...) Ich glaube auch, dass wir hin und wieder etwas überpräzise sind...

Ich hoffe ich konnte alles klar machen und wenn nicht versuche ich es nochmal. ^^

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM by Rhunmaki.)
Find Reply
01-14-2013, 03:23 PM

Khazrak Offline

Threads: 8
The difference is in the incoming damage and the actually suffered damage. The incoming damage is 2D6+POW of the attacker. The actually suffered damage in case of the Valkyrie or any other ethereal being would be:

[(2D6+POW) - ARM]/2

and after that I'd calculate the -1 for the subfaction ability, if a Scarjarl is your warlord.

Calculating otherwise would make ethereal troops/models ridiculously powerful.

EDIT: After reading the German and English Quickstart Rules and the real rulebook, I have to admit that it's easily misunderstandable. However, the big rulebook uses for suffered damage in its Melee Procedure list on p.69 the formula:

13. If attack hits, apply damage roll (POW of attacker's attack +2D6 minus target's ARM)
14. Mark off damage.

Here it's clear, that the ARM is part of the original damage procedure and no separate part as presented in both the quickstart rules by separate paragraphs on p.8.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2013, 04:04 PM by Khazrak.)
Find Reply
01-14-2013, 04:08 PM

André Offline
Administrator

ok, so i will see if i can specify that more clearly in the english and german qsr. thanks for the info!
Website Find Reply
01-14-2013, 04:27 PM

Rhunmaki Offline

No problem. Say when we can help You. ;-)

Find Reply