Involuntary movement and free strikes
Megalith Games - Official Forums

01-06-2013 12:57 PM

Khazrak Offline

In the text about free strikes, I couldn't find anything concerning involuntary movement. I know that fleeing models don't provoke free strikes, however what is about pushing or shoving like the Mortan Scorpio's/Beasthunter's ranged attack, the Fjellgangr's Boot or the Chainslayer's Grapple-Drag? If free strikes become available, this opens up a whole new range of nasty ways to kill and usage of tactics Big Grin

Additionally, playing strictly by the rules, would the Fjellgangr get a free strike against the model, he is kicking aways as soon as the kick propels the victim out of the 2" range? I just have an image in my head of a giant hooking his foot under his victim, pushing him in the air and hitting him away like a baseball. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013 07:49 PM
RE: Involuntary movement and free strikes

André Offline
Administrator

ahoi!

unfortunately we missed to make that rule 100% clear. a free strike is a passive activation (mentioned in the rulebook). it is thus meant for a model that is not activated at this moment. if the fjellgangr is activated, he is acting and cannot perform a passive activation. the free strike is based on the idea that the activated model is leaving the melee range of another (unactivated) model. this way involuntary movement can never lead to free strikes because the effect that involuntarily moves a model must originate from an activated model.

i think we should clarify this in an errata
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013 08:14 PM

Khazrak Offline

And the other possibilities? I didn't mean only the Fjellgangr kicking a model away and getting a free strike. What about other models standing next to the kicked model when it's involuntary moved away? Do they get the free strikes when the involuntary movement isn't originated from them but someone else? This still fulfills the condition of a passive activation of the free striker.

Or do you plainly say "Involuntary movement never leads to free strikes" or "Free strikes are only possible when a model moves willingly out of melee range of another model"?
01-06-2013 08:22 PM

Fenris Offline

Hi khazrak,

Even the other unactivated models can't make a freestrike. André mentioned it in his post. As a model must be activated, he'll never be targeted by an freestrike while he is involuntarily moved.

(01-06-2013 07:49 PM)André Wrote:  the free strike is based on the idea that the activated model is leaving the melee range of another (unactivated) model.

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
01-06-2013 08:46 PM

Khazrak Offline

(01-06-2013 08:22 PM)Fenris Wrote:  Hi khazrak,

Even the other unactivated models can't make a freestrike. André mentioned it in his post. As a model must be activated, he'll never be targeted by an freestrike while he is involuntarily moved.

(01-06-2013 07:49 PM)André Wrote:  the free strike is based on the idea that the activated model is leaving the melee range of another (unactivated) model.

Michael

Ops, there was some misunderstanding from my side, sorry. Thanks for clarification, although it's a pity, because otherwise the tactical possibilies would have been manyfold. Wink
01-06-2013 09:10 PM

André Offline
Administrator

right, basically we should have said that an activated model that moves out of melee range suffers a free strike!
sorry, that we missed to get that clear!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013 09:12 PM

Fenris Offline

(01-06-2013 08:46 PM)Khazrak Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 08:22 PM)Fenris Wrote:  Hi khazrak,

Michael

Ops, there was some misunderstanding from my side, sorry. Thanks for clarification, although it's a pity, because otherwise the tactical possibilies would have been manyfold. Wink

manyfold? You mean hell! Wink

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum