Master of Undeath

(01-04-2013, 12:22 AM)Cobrannos Wrote:  Thanks guys!

I have my Godslayer books for some weeks now, read them thoroughly, and read almost everything you have on this website - and was absolutely unable to decide which faction I should start with ;-)

But the promised Necromagus sculpt now decides it - Mortans!
The model is superb. Only the flames in the left hand are somewhat ditsy - fireball-hurling necromancers? Would not some focus item (hourglass, scroll, urn, death mask) be more in tune with the theme? Or at least a cloud of ash, dust or fumes?

I have the impression that the style and also quality of the Godslayer miniatures is rather heterogeneous - is this intended or just caused by having different sculptors? And who are they? Perhaps Megalith could introduce them and their work and visions at this forum? I would like to learn more about them...

Hi Cobranos,
Congratulations on deciding on a faction :-)
I know it's not easy, so maybe its better to go with two :-)

In the Necromancer's left hand is an evaporating ball of ectoplasm from the planes of the dead. But people can paint it to represent anything, including a fireball if they prefer.

Regarding the sculptors, we have six main sculptors we are currently working with and had a few others in the past. We try to keep a specific unifying feel for each faction, while also trying to give each faction a different feel to the others. So each sculptor is provided with miniatures and art for that faction. As we proceed further we are establishing a more stabilized system and will try to focus 1 sculptor per faction faction as much as possible.

Nice idea about articles on the sculptors; perhaps we can do something like you suggest. We need to consider that carefully since we don't want our precious talent being stolen by bigger, richer companies....

(01-04-2013, 12:58 PM)David Wrote:  
(01-04-2013, 12:22 AM)Cobrannos Wrote:  Thanks guys!

I have my Godslayer books for some weeks now, read them thoroughly, and read almost everything you have on this website - and was absolutely unable to decide which faction I should start with ;-)

But the promised Necromagus sculpt now decides it - Mortans!
The model is superb. Only the flames in the left hand are somewhat ditsy - fireball-hurling necromancers? Would not some focus item (hourglass, scroll, urn, death mask) be more in tune with the theme? Or at least a cloud of ash, dust or fumes?

I have the impression that the style and also quality of the Godslayer miniatures is rather heterogeneous - is this intended or just caused by having different sculptors? And who are they? Perhaps Megalith could introduce them and their work and visions at this forum? I would like to learn more about them...

Hi Cobranos,
Congratulations on deciding on a faction :-)
I know it's not easy, so maybe its better to go with two :-)

In the Necromancer's left hand is an evaporating ball of ectoplasm from the planes of the dead. But people can paint it to represent anything, including a fireball if they prefer.

Regarding the sculptors, we have six main sculptors we are currently working with and had a few others in the past. We try to keep a specific unifying feel for each faction, while also trying to give each faction a different feel to the others. So each sculptor is provided with miniatures and art for that faction. As we proceed further we are establishing a more stabilized system and will try to focus 1 sculptor per faction faction as much as possible.

Nice idea about articles on the sculptors; perhaps we can do something like you suggest. We need to consider that carefully since we don't want our precious talent being stolen by bigger, richer companies....

Wow, a personal answer - and this fast! Very family-style here - I like that :-)

You are right, the decision IS hard. I´m almost sure that I go next for Banebrood Reavers, if the models won´t take too long to come and aren´t too crappy (;-). After that...

The ectoplasm explanation is accepted - now I am fully content with this bitter old man and his ghostly minions.
In my opinion, designing a game or miniatures is an art, not so much a craft. So I like to know what people thought in the early creation stages, why they use certain rule mechanisms or model designs to express what they have in mind etc.
With Godslayer, I immediately had the impression that its designers are interested more in the "game entity" than just, for example, its marketing possibilities (I´m not saying it will not sell - game and minis are VERY attractive). You did a really good job with your background and all - Godslayer feels "believable", alive and well-thought-out.

This is why I´d like to read about how your artists think and plan and what they want to express. To keep them from being stolen by other companies, you could use aliases...?

In short, I´m curious to learn the prpose WHY you do things as you do them :-)

All the best
Cobrannos

Hi Cobranus,

You are very welcome; we really appreciate all feedback both positive and negative so that we can make Godslayer even better.

In a few weeks we will be posting on the site some articles which discuss the rules and some other articles which highlight various models and units. In these articles we will be providing information on the game mechanics and the development process of various models. So I think you will find those interesting.

Since you are interested in the development concept, I will write here a few words. Godslayer was created by Andre and myself with a great deal of support from our testplayers and friends. Andre and I are GAMERS, not corporate investment executives looking to make a big profit :-)

We developed Godslayer to be the best possible game we could concieve. Having played numerous wargames and skirmish games we knew what is cool and what is annoying. armed with those prejudices we set about building a system from the ground up. Naturally many elements are also found in other games (2D6 rolls, IGOUGO turnabout, action tokens etc), but of course Godslayer is a unique combination of these and many new elements. We think we got the right combination of all the best elements to create playability with realism. And you are right that we are more interested in the game rather than the marketing. We did it to make the best tabletop skirmish game for ourselves and others to enjoy, not to get rich. Of course a company does not survive on good-wishes alone, so yes we also need to spend some time on the sales too :-)

This is also our philosophy on pricing. You will probably notice that the prices are a little lower than most other games, with metal unit miniatures averaging priced at around 5 EUR. We want the game to be accessable and affordable for players, not fill our pockets with profits. I'm not claiming we are Robin Hood or Karl Marx here but getting rich is definitely not our objective :-)

Background is VERY important to me in a game. I just cannot really enjoy a game that has a ridiculous or undetailed background. I grew up eating and breathing RPGs and consumed dozens of game universes whole. It was important to us to do something new and different in terms of the background, because so many games are focussed today on "steampunk", high-fantasy, medieval and renaisscance flavored fantasy. Since I had a considerable interest and knowledge in ancient and classical history and mythology, we decided to build a dark, low-fantasy, sword-and-sandals world with classical, ancient and dark-age style cultures. For me, each culture had to be crafted so that it is totally believable and consistent.

Thanks very much to you and the many others who have been impressed and appreciate the attention to detail; it's always nice to hear, and makes all the hard-work worth it!

So we will consider your proposal about featuring sculptors/artists and in the meantime you should soon get the articles I mentioned.

Some great insight, David. Thanks for that. And by the way "sword-and-sandals world" is already my word of the upcoming tabletop year. You really managed to achieve that feeling in the games. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum

(01-04-2013, 11:05 PM)David Wrote:  Hi Cobranus,

You are very welcome; we really appreciate all feedback both positive and negative so that we can make Godslayer even better.

In a few weeks we will be posting on the site some articles which discuss the rules and some other articles which highlight various models and units. In these articles we will be providing information on the game mechanics and the development process of various models. So I think you will find those interesting.

Since you are interested in the development concept, I will write here a few words. Godslayer was created by Andre and myself with a great deal of support from our testplayers and friends. Andre and I are GAMERS, not corporate investment executives looking to make a big profit :-)

We developed Godslayer to be the best possible game we could concieve. Having played numerous wargames and skirmish games we knew what is cool and what is annoying. armed with those prejudices we set about building a system from the ground up. Naturally many elements are also found in other games (2D6 rolls, IGOUGO turnabout, action tokens etc), but of course Godslayer is a unique combination of these and many new elements. We think we got the right combination of all the best elements to create playability with realism. And you are right that we are more interested in the game rather than the marketing. We did it to make the best tabletop skirmish game for ourselves and others to enjoy, not to get rich. Of course a company does not survive on good-wishes alone, so yes we also need to spend some time on the sales too :-)

This is also our philosophy on pricing. You will probably notice that the prices are a little lower than most other games, with metal unit miniatures averaging priced at around 5 EUR. We want the game to be accessable and affordable for players, not fill our pockets with profits. I'm not claiming we are Robin Hood or Karl Marx here but getting rich is definitely not our objective :-)

Background is VERY important to me in a game. I just cannot really enjoy a game that has a ridiculous or undetailed background. I grew up eating and breathing RPGs and consumed dozens of game universes whole. It was important to us to do something new and different in terms of the background, because so many games are focussed today on "steampunk", high-fantasy, medieval and renaisscance flavored fantasy. Since I had a considerable interest and knowledge in ancient and classical history and mythology, we decided to build a dark, low-fantasy, sword-and-sandals world with classical, ancient and dark-age style cultures. For me, each culture had to be crafted so that it is totally believable and consistent.

Thanks very much to you and the many others who have been impressed and appreciate the attention to detail; it's always nice to hear, and makes all the hard-work worth it!

So we will consider your proposal about featuring sculptors/artists and in the meantime you should soon get the articles I mentioned.

...and you did a very fine job so far! I read about Godslayer being a "gamer project" when I discovered the game, and I´m really impressed about the professional appearance and high quality. And also by the really fair pricing - especially if you compare it to some other skirmish games just published...

What you say about background is just my opinion; I´m an archaeologist and anthropologist (with a focus on prehistory and early antiquity - so no wonder GS is just the right thing for me :-), and therefore of course interested in cultural and historical material. I´m into RPGs for more than 20 years and TTG for about 15 years, created a lot of settings and rules stuff, and therefore I am very interested in the "metaphysics" of these games. So I understand very well how much of "brain grease" and work you put into GS. And I´m really looking forward for the planned designer articles!

Have a nice and creative day
Cobrannos

Thanks very much Cobranus.
Yes the background was quite a lot of work :-)
It was for people like you (and me) that we made it so detailed, realistic and consistent.

If we were to make some background articles on the website, are there any areas which would particularly interest you?

For example: Geography of areas on Ghorn or Calydorn, information about developing current events, historical events, ages and characters, general articles about the worls (technology, belief systems, climates creatures etc), or more information about existing factions or more information about possible other factions and races, or something else?

(01-07-2013, 08:03 PM)David Wrote:  Thanks very much Cobranus.
Yes the background was quite a lot of work :-)
It was for people like you (and me) that we made it so detailed, realistic and consistent.

If we were to make some background articles on the website, are there any areas which would particularly interest you?

For example: Geography of areas on Ghorn or Calydorn, information about developing current events, historical events, ages and characters, general articles about the worls (technology, belief systems, climates creatures etc), or more information about existing factions or more information about possible other factions and races, or something else?

:-O Really? I can have a wish granted? How cooool!
And I have several, of course...so please, bring me
- more tales about far Zholmin (such a promising short desription!)
- lor of the beliefs about the afterlife (spooky Mortans!)
- hints about the mysterious third Banebrood sub-faction (there must be one!)

Seriously, this would be great; I´m totally thrilled by the interactive approach you have with your readers/clients/fans...unfortunately, soon there will be way too many of them ;-)

Okay cool, yes an article about afterlife beliefs of the different factions is a good idea.

And Geography of other continents is also possible.

Regarding the Banebrood subfactons, there are two additional ones planned. If you read carefully the Banebrood chapter in the background book, you can probably figure out what they will be :-)
So that's your 3 wishes cobranus, now the genie disappears back into the magic lamp :-)

Thanks for the suggestions. We can work these into the website articles for the near future.

Everyone else is also welcome to leave suggestions here about any kind of background background articles or other they would like to see.

As I mentioned we will shortly begin posting articles on general strategy and articles spotlighting particular units/models.

Nice! I´m really looking forward to it!
Thank you, genie!

# Perhaps this thread should be moved somewhere else on the forum, we´re not even close to the "Master of Undeath" topic any more...?#

When reading the background book, I´m certain you will need about a hundred sculptors working nonstop for the next twenty years or so to cover at least some of Calydorn´s denizens as models... :-)
Regarding the Banebrood, the book explicitly refers to centaurs and lycanthropes as sub-factions, okay. But I assumed it´s not meant this literally;
I assumed the centaurs would probably join the Beastspawn, while lycanthropes would belong to the Reavers... and perhaps something even more monstrous and vile would join the fray. And - then there would be four sub-factions, so all other factions need also another one, to be fair ;-D

I´m really curious how you will implement the shape-shifting ability in the battle mechanics (I assume the Fiannor will also have some shifters?). Seems to be a challenge - but I expect some great ideas. Did I already mention that I like your work? ;-)

At the moment the future subfactions are tentative, but yes we have concepts for a Centaurs subfaction for Banebrood. This will not be dull, boring generic centaurs, these ill be diverse and cool!
They may include medium cavalry stag-centaurs, heavy cavalry buffalo centaurs, and as a creature a monstrous mastadon-Centaur, or how about rhino centaurs etc. There are so many cool possibilities that they deserve their own subfaction. And it will enable us to give them a good subfaction ability really fitting to such creatures and their nomadic way of life. The centaurs subfaction will likely make its debut in wave-2. These are all just concepts right now, but we will be getting them nailed-down soon.

Lycanthropes are the same - they is potential for a great variety of coolness, not just boring werewolves. They would likely be in wave-3 (a couple of years away).

There will also be many future hideous abominations added to the Banebrood as creatures.

Eventually most or all factions will likely have 4 sub-factions, but that will probably be in Wave-3 when we introduce them.
I can't really say more at this point.

Shapeshifer mechanic is easy - a profile card with two deifferent stat-lines and abilities only available in each specific form. Tuathan Morph-Cult Wyldfolk will probably have shapeshifters.

We have big plans, but first we need to complete wave-1 models and make them popular :-)