Megalith Games - Official Forums

Shooting with templates
12-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Shooting with templates

Khazrak Offline

Threads: 8
Hello to you!

A friend of mine started Mortans and as we are already proxying units not yet released and want to make bigger games, some questions concerning war machines have come up.
I've been reading and searching through the book several times now and either I am too blind or too stupid...
I mostly read the stuff about AOE in chapter XIII - Special Effects, but I am feeling like I haven't seen a whole chapter about this or I am really missing something.

1. Positioning: How do I correctly position a template? Some pictures suggest that the base of the target model has to be completely under the middle hole, but I didn't find anything telling me the right way to do it. Or do I just place the template anywhere on the field and so maybe could "accidently" hit models, that otherwise couldn't be targeted or seen?

2. Range: Does the whole template has to be within the maximum range or only the centre point?

3. The Missile Attack: Which DEF-value do I use when there are several ones available under the template? The one of the model I am centering on? So, could I hit a model with high DEF when aiming at a model with lower DEF close by?

Thanks in advance!
Find Reply
12-17-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Shooting with templates

Fenris Offline

Threads: 16
Hi,

Just my opinion on your question.

1) on page 97 it sais, that you have to place the template over the centre of the targeted model. Centre means, that the centrepoint of the template should be over the centrepoint of the base.

2) if there is no specific rule like "Place the template completly within x inches", you determine the central point from which the effect emanates. That means the central point of the template must be within range.

3) you have to declare a target for your attack. You role Against this models DEF. All the models either completly or partialy under the template are hit. This applies even if the template deviates and the originally targeted model isn't under the template anymore.

I hope this helps.

Michael

P.S.: please correct me, if I'm wrong. Wink
Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
Find Reply
12-17-2012, 06:32 PM

Khazrak Offline

Thanks for your fast reply, Fenris, however your answers aren't really clearing everything 100% up.

about 1: Yes, on page 97, this is written as you say it. However in the lines above this sentence it is mentioned that you can also center on a "point". So, to me this could mean that templates, which don't do damage, can placed on any point, but damage templates like from the Mortan Cataclysm Catapult have to be centered on a model? Still not 100% clear to me. Sad

about 2: Where did you get this clarification from? I haven't found anything. Any reference?

about 3: This is the most likely solution, which I also assumed. However, this way it could be abused as mentioned: to hit models with high DEF with a lower possibility to deviate away from the high DEF-model. Sad
Find Reply
12-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 3
Hi,

Fenris is right in all points Smile

about 1: The template always has to be centered on a models base (e.g. the target model) since you make a comparing roll against a models DEF (so you need one model to determine the DEF you have to beat, which is the DEF of the model under the center of the template...)

"it is mentioned that you can also center on a "point"" - the center of a models base is also a point Wink

If you like to target a point without a model under the template, you can do so if you want...but since the point has no DEF, the attack hits the point automatically (if you don´t fumble and hit yourself...) and no model will be harmed...
But if you like to place the template somewhere over an enemy, follow p. 97: "When placing an AOE on a target model, it must always be placed over the centre of this model's base."

about 2: As for all MIS-attacks (or ranged MAG-attacks...) you first measure the distance to the target model. If the model is not in range, the attack is an automatic miss (and no deviation-roll will be made). If the target is in range, center the template over its base-center and determine, which other models have been hit as well. Make a damage roll against each model and/or apply the special effects.

about 3: Just keep your agile models well away from the clumsy guys Wink

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2012, 07:38 PM by Simon.)
Find Reply
12-27-2012, 12:22 PM

Khazrak Offline

(12-17-2012, 07:36 PM)Simon Wrote: "it is mentioned that you can also center on a "point"" - the center of a models base is also a point Wink

If you like to target a point without a model under the template, you can do so if you want...but since the point has no DEF, the attack hits the point automatically (if you don´t fumble and hit yourself...) and no model will be harmed...

Thanks for the answers, however with the words above, I have slight problem. Wink

Following your logic, that the "point" is hit automatically, you never miss and thus all models under the template would suffer the dmg/consequences. I guess, you meant plainly "If you don't shoot at a specific model, you can never hit any models and so cause any effects on them", did you? Smile

Find Reply
12-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Fenris Offline

You cannot place the template over any model without targeting one specific model. If you want to hit a model, you have to make a MIS-role. Only if you place the template without a model beneath it, you hit automatically (because your MIS + 2D6 is higher them DEF 0) unless you role snake eyes.

Michael
Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
Find Reply
12-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 3
Correct!
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
Find Reply
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM

Khazrak Offline

(12-27-2012, 12:51 PM)Fenris Wrote: You cannot place the template over any model without targeting one specific model. If you want to hit a model, you have to make a MIS-role. Only if you place the template without a model beneath it, you hit automatically (because your MIS + 2D6 is higher them DEF 0) unless you role snake eyes.

Michael

Yes, I really understood this, but Simon's first answer left room to misunderstand on purpose like in "Oh, if I don't shoot at a specific model but at some point, then the template hits automatically." Wink
Find Reply
12-28-2012, 12:22 AM

Fenris Offline

No problem. That's why I tried to clarify it. Wink

Michael
Find Reply