Megalith Games - Official Forums

Line of Sight
11-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Line of Sight

Khorgar Offline

Threads: 2
Hello there,
Just bought the Rulebook and a question came up during reading.
Is it right that you cannot make an attack versus a small model standing behind a wall, which is half an inch high?
According to the rules, the wall would have a Level 1 sight value, as you always round up. As you can not draw a line from the attackers base to the targets base, there would be no LOS.
So even if i can see more than half of the model i can not target it with a ranged attack?
What if the object is only 5mm high? Still no LOS?
Seems kind of odd to me.
Perhaps i have overlooked something or misinterpreted something.
A clarification would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Khorgar
Find Reply
11-07-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Line of Sight

André Offline
Administrator

Threads: 162
Ahoi Khorgar!

We recommend that players always agree on a sight value of each terrain piece before the game starts. This way the players could declare a wall of 0,5 inch heigt either as a sight value of 1 or even make it 0. You could actually also use half numbers such as 0,5.

If you declared a terrain object has a sight value of 1, then models with the same sight value may not be seen (if no part of the base can be seen). If you declare it to have a sight value of 0, it will be disregarded completely. If you declare it to have a sight value of 0,5 then it will be possible to draw LOS to a sight value 1 model behind it, but that model would benefit from being screened/in cover.

Please remember that when a model has a higher sight value than an interposing model or object, it can always been seen! Same is true if the shooting model has a higher sight value than the interposing model/object.
Website Find Reply
11-07-2012, 02:32 PM

Khorgar Offline

Threads: 2
Thanks for the quick answer!
I can understand, why you made this rule, as there would be clearly less discussions, if a model is in cover or not or if you can shoot at it at all.
Like " Hey, i can see your left foots tiny toe, so i can shoot at you".
It´s just that i´m used to shoot at what you can see, from other tabletops.
The sight value of 0,5 would cleary make more sense to me.
So to sum it up: LOS is not determined by "real" LOS then.
Find Reply
11-07-2012, 02:40 PM

André Offline
Administrator

Threads: 162
right, never use the "real" line of sight, because normally people are not playing with "real" terrain feautres anyway Smile hills for example are normally a bit higher than 1-2 inches, that´s why we declare them as having a sight value of 3 or even 4. It is sometimes just not possible to have terrain in real proportions on the battlefield.

the main reason was indeed the many discussions people would run into when we would use real line of sight. there are always those that like to convert their miniatures etc. and it always leads to bloody endless discussions about LOS Smile
Website Find Reply