Caught between a wood and a hilly place
Megalith Games - Official Forums

10-30-2014 12:47 PM

crimsontree Offline

My friend Bart & I played a scenario this week that was adapted from a Lord of the Rings Strategy Battles scenario. The set up & scenario are simple.

A hill is placed close to the edge of the left hand side deployment zone. The hill is sight value 2 high. One warband must place their warlord on the hill. The rest of the warband is placed on the hill or in the right hand side deployment zone. The opposing player may place their warband anywhere on the table except on the hill and the right side deployment zone.

The hill warband wins if their warlord escapes to the edge of the forest which runs along the right hand edge of the right hand deployment zone. The non-hill warband wins if they kill the warlord. There is no 6 round limitation to the scenario.

[Image: Caught-between-a-wood-and-a-hilly-place.jpg]

My mate Bart played Nordgaard and he was the hill warband, I played Banebrood. The Nordgaard forces were split roughly 50/50 between the hill & right hand deployment zone. The Banebrood forces were deployed in the bottom middle of the table.

[Image: Initial-Deployment-Caught-between-a-wood...-place.jpg]

The game ended in the 4th round as my faster paced Banebrood did not allow the slower Nordgaard warlord to escape via the forest.

[Image: Final-Positions-Caught-between-a-wood-an...-place.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2014 07:15 PM
RE: Caught between a wood and a hilly place

Meph Offline

Thanks for the report!

Though I like the idea of trying scenarios from other games, the result was rather predictable due to the lacking mobility of Dwarfs. This game needs scenarios that do not put so much emphasis on mobility, otherwise two entire sub-factions become liabilities.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014 05:51 PM

Thorimo Offline

Well Meph, i thought so that the lack off movebility of the Dwarfs would be the botlleneck.

But is was a bit of luck and bad dicerolls on my side that made me loose the game.
And ofcourse the "eaten alive" abiltity of his reavers. That's a bitch of an ability.

Overall it is a nice scenario.
11-02-2014 09:05 PM

Meph Offline

What lists were you playing?
11-03-2014 12:57 AM

Thorimo Offline

Let me think:

Runekeeper
with titanium armor
adamantine glyph
grindaxe
Fimbul thoughborn 6x
Einherjer 5x
Fjellgangr 2x

i dont quit remember.
11-03-2014 11:50 AM

crimsontree Offline

Bisotaur Shaman: Bugstalk Eyes, Bulging Biceps, Long Legs,
Staff of Mors,
Disruption Totem,
Witchweed Extract

Fallow Shaman: Spiked Horror

Reaver Tribesmen x 10

Reaver Tribesmen x 10

Fomorian Guthackers x 4

(11-01-2014 07:15 PM)Meph Wrote:  Thanks for the report!

Though I like the idea of trying scenarios from other games, the result was rather predictable due to the lacking mobility of Dwarfs. This game needs scenarios that do not put so much emphasis on mobility, otherwise two entire sub-factions become liabilities.

It was a fun scenario with a simple dynamic. My group are going to play it again using different warband set ups. None of us think that the winner is a foregone conclusion and both sides have the potential for victory.

I adapted this scenario for my group to play. It is not my mission to create egalitarian scenarios that take into account every sub-faction. I'm not a Godslayer game developer, I'm a player. My group plays for fun. If others get use out of the scenario that's a nice bonus but we enjoyed playing it & that is the main thing.
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2014 11:56 AM by crimsontree.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014 12:15 PM

Meph Offline

I'm sorry if my first statement was a bit too presumptuous. The report did not provide a more detailed account that would entail a greater importance of Thorimo's unlucky dice rolls, so I just assumed what I assumed. The lists seem quite balanced vs each other Smile

I've been thinking of using scenarios from CMON's Dark Age or something themed like for Taban's Eden, mal sehen Smile