Don's tree huggers
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Don's tree huggers
05-13-2014 03:05 PM
RE: Don's tree huggers

Madcat Offline

They look cool. I use the varnish from vallejo, and I'm pretty happy with the results.
The Scabhtas, the Druid and the Farfarer are waiting on my desk, too..Smile
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014 09:19 PM

Don_Silvarro Offline

[Image: wyldfolk7.jpg]

Done and dusted. The varnish gods were kind to me, no frosting and minimal shine. Yay!

This of course means I'm out of Godslayer models to paint. And I didn't really feel like painting other stuff at the moment.

So... no other option than to bring in some reinforcements!

[Image: wyldfolk8.jpg]

Honestly not too thrilled about these models. The spears on those Bladeslingers are ridiculously fragile and bendy, the models themselves very flat - honestly I feel all of them could/should be one-piece sculpts with those poses, but the hands are separate with tiny connection points not wide enough for a proper pin. I'm not looking forward to transporting these and handling them during a game. The bard is okay I guess, but his toy sword is pretty silly. I'll have to raid the bits box for a proper claymore.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2014 11:46 AM by Don_Silvarro.)
05-17-2014 06:47 AM

NotAnotherBloodyGnollHorde Offline

Or you could just make his bagpipes bigger and tell you opponent he now causes horror! Wink Anyway, have fun painting, I'm again looking forward to the results.
05-18-2014 01:12 AM

David Offline
Administrator

(05-16-2014 09:19 PM)Don_Silvarro Wrote:  [Image: wyldfolk7.jpg]

Done and dusted. The varnish gods were kind to me, no frosting and minimal shine. Yay!

This of course means I'm out of Godslayer models to paint. And I didn't really feel like painting other stuff at the moment.

So... no other option than to bring in some reinforcements!

[Image: wyldfolk8.jpg]

Honestly not too thrilled about these models. The spears on those Bladeslingers are ridiculously fragile and bendy, the models themselves very flat - honestly I feel all of them could/should be one-piece sculpts with those poses, but the hands are separate with tiny connection points not wide enough for a proper pin. I'm not looking forward to transporting these and handling them during a game. The bard is okay I guess, but his toy sword is pretty silly. I'll have to raid the bits box for a proper claymore.

Thanks for your comments.
At some point in the future, when we have a moment to consider revamping any early models, the Wyldfolk starter box will be our top priority. Although many people I know like them, some of us on the Megalith Team feel that a few of the Wyldfolk starter minis are the weakest in our entire range.

Please try to imagine that these were sculpted 4 years ago when we were unknown, penniless and no sculptors had heard of us or wanted to work for us :-)

As you can see with your nicely painted Druid, Scabhta Hunters, Farfarer and Beasthunter, the quality of the Wyldfiolk minis sculpting drastically improved! The recent Cromlech Guard are also nice minis, and the coming Tuathan are awesome sculpts.
05-19-2014 11:12 AM

Don_Silvarro Offline

The bard isn't a problem since I can fix him up myself in three minutes flat.

Bottom line the slingers are perfectly serviceable. The detail and proportions are sharp and they will no doubt paint up nicely. I'm a grumpy bastard to be honest, and the only way to make me grumble about them less is to make them resin or plastic which obviously isn't an option at this point. Lithe dudes with long spears will always come out wonky in metal no matter how you spin it (pun intended).

Honestly I'd rather see you guys finally finishing Wave 1 and moving on to the heaps of stuff planned for Wave 2 than going back and redoing stuff. The delays between new releases are bad enough as it is, and I'm already finding it hard to wait for those highland clan ogres and Fiannor cav :-)
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 11:14 AM by Don_Silvarro.)
01-16-2015 04:12 PM

Don_Silvarro Offline

Long time no update.

The force grew in spurts, the final head count is as follows:

[Image: wflk1.jpg]

[Image: wflk2.jpg]

However, after eight months of playing with the little green men, I came to the conclusion that the Wyldfolk playstyle is not for me. I will therefore be shelving these and switching over to the second faction that captivated me the most: Halodynes.

Watch this space for pictures of painted guys with pointy sticks. :-)
01-16-2015 05:59 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

They look cool, a shame they will be shelved. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty