Haze
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Haze
04-21-2014 01:03 PM
Haze

Riddgaard Offline

I would just like to clarify something about Haze effects if possible in respect of the following situation

A Haze Effect is placed a couple of inches in front of a missile model/unit, between it and a possible target. So far, so good, as the Haze 'blocks line of sight to models positioned completely behind it' (p 101 rulebook), ie the target unit, so the missile unit cannot shoot at them. However, during their activation, the missile unit advances to just within the edge of the Haze. Does this cancel the haze effect in respect of them now being able to see through the haze to target the enemy unit?

Whilst the rules state that 'line of sight to models within a haze effect is not blocked' I would say that, as the missile unit is only on the far side of the haze, and the target unit is still positioned completely behind the haze, then nothing has changed and the missile unit still does not have LOS to the target. The key fact in my conclusion is that the target unit are themselves not within the haze but still behind it.

Thanks for any help.

I'd say the only good Mortan is a dead Mortan but they're probably the worst kind! Pendragon Hywel ap Morgan before the battle of the Silver Forest...
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2014 07:56 PM
RE: Haze

spy Offline

They are not behind the haze effect anymore because the haze effect is not in between the units anymore.
And: the unit inside the haze effect is in cover, the unit outside is not.

There are many rules that are activated / cacelled as soon as a certain line is crossed. The rules are always all or nothing.

Either you are in cover or you ar not.
Either you are in range for close combat or you are not.
Either your charge is sucessfull or it failed.
Either you are in rough terrain or not.

The haze effect is the same way. As soon as a model touches the border of the effect, then this model may draw line of sight through the effect as it "would not be there" because it is not between the models anymore.
On the other hand the model inside the haze effect becomes imideately visible to the enemy unit (I see you / you see me).
But the second effect of haze grants cover to the model which touches the haze effect.
04-22-2014 04:11 PM

James Harrison Offline

You are right from a model in/touching the haze through the haze is not covered by the rules - but it is meant to be as Spy says. I've had a conversation with David about it and he has marked it for clarification Smile
04-23-2014 11:09 PM

Riddgaard Offline

Thanks for clarifying as, as you say, the wording of the actual Haze section doesn't appear to cover that particular situation but I'm happy to go with that.
Thanks again. Smile

I'd say the only good Mortan is a dead Mortan but they're probably the worst kind! Pendragon Hywel ap Morgan before the battle of the Silver Forest...