Measuring melee ranges
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Measuring melee ranges
03-10-2013 07:34 PM
Measuring melee ranges

Skylifter Offline

Hi,

question came up in my first two games both: can you measure the melee range of models before declaring a melee attack with them? Reading through the book, I don't think you can, but I have the nagging feeling I might be missing something.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013 10:00 PM
RE: Measuring melee ranges

Fenris Offline

You can only measure the distance after declaring the attack. So it's up to you to move your models carefully. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
03-10-2013 10:45 PM

Skylifter Offline

Cool, thanks. I'll from now on spend a few hours each day practising to estimate 2 inches. Big Grin I did do it perfectly in today's game, actually, but I don't think I can count on that yet.
10-30-2013 11:12 AM

Grauenacht Offline

To make sure you are in melee, you can create some template with a 1 and 2 inch side. Warmachine has something like this except thet have a 0.5 and 2 inch version.
Maybe Megalith games can contact a laser cut company to make their own
[Image: orboros-melee-meter-400x225.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2013 12:31 PM

spielervier Offline

These templates help a lot. Advanced Deployment should have ones matching the Godslayer rules.

For example: http://store.advanceddeployment.com/litt...get-5x1x2/

But of course: Official ones including the official logo would be much nicer.
12-26-2013 11:22 AM

sniperbait Offline

To be honest, guessing the 2" range is pretty easy. You only need to be more than an inch and less than 2 to outreach your opponent (assuming of course you have say reach 2 and they have reach 1). Every model is on a base of some sort and you can use this as a visual reference. Small bases are 30mm, medium 40 and large 50. So, with that in mind, just ensure you are somewhere between small and large base size away from your enemy and hey presto, no counter attacks.
12-26-2013 01:14 PM

Khazrak Offline

Additionally comes the point, that you have to measure at least for one model to make sure, that you are engaging your enemy after a charge move, otherwise you have a failed charge. You can take this one measured range as reference.
12-27-2013 09:00 AM

Fenris Offline

But you measure the melee range after all your unit models have been moved. So this would not be a possibility to check melee range. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
12-27-2013 10:22 AM

spy Offline

(12-27-2013 09:00 AM)Fenris Wrote:  But you measure the melee range after all your unit models have been moved. So this would not be a possibility to check melee range. Wink
Are you shure about that?
The Problem I see is if you Charge with a big unit how do you know where the initial position of the models were?
To what Point you move the model back if you find out you moved the model to far?

Charge Procedure:
1. Nominate charging model/unit
2. Select model(s) being charged
3. Select type of charge
4. Select weapon and attack type
5. Move chargers and determine if charge was successful
6. Defender now has the chance to declare counter attacks
7. Continue with the melee procedure

According to the procedure I would follow Point no. 1 to 4 and spend the Action Tokens.
No. 5: Then I would move the first attacking model directly to ist target and while moving I would measure to see if the charge was sucessfull.

If you move all your models first and then measure the measurement would not be very precise anymore.
Then measure&move the second one and so on to see which models get the charge bonus and which models are not in range to attack.
Then I would continue with Point no. 6 and 7.

On page 36 is written:
It is not permitted for players to measure
any ranges before they are required to by performing an
action!
This means that a player cannot first measure a
distance, and then decide if he will take an action;
he must declare he is taking the action first before measuring the
distance allowed through the action.

Since I decleared the action and spent the Action Tokens already (Point no. 1 to 4) I am allowed to measure.

Actually I think every time I move a model I HAVE TO measure (to prevent discussions of any kind afterwards).
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2013 10:48 AM by spy.)
12-27-2013 10:30 AM

Fenris Offline

Hi Spy,

point 5 means that you move your chargers and after that you check if your charge was successful. That means you move all your models. And if they all stopped there movement, you have no problem measuring the melee range. That is also the way it is described in the example an page 64.

And you donĀ“t move your models back after a failed charge. They move their full charge movement and after that you are lucky and they engage the target they charged or you are not so lucky and you stand a few inches away with a failed charge.

Michael