Several Spell Questions (+ megalith interaction)

Just picked up the starter bundle for the Wyldfolk (Niceee!) and have been going through the options provided therein, and have some queries on some of the spells and their consequences, and also some of the useage of the Megalith to channel spells. Some of this may just be a clarification of my interpretation.

First off.
1) Can I equip a druid with a single spell (I suspect so), and if so, can this single spell be from Council of Elms (COE) Lore or Synod of Oaks (SOO) Lore? or do I have to take a spell from Druidic Ogham (DO) Lore before I can take any spell from a different set?

2) Spells with range characteristic that have effects that stem from "spellcaster". These include Glamour of Cadros (DO), Materialize and Shapeshift (SOO) and Flurry of Leaves (COE).
a) Can I have one spellcaster cast this type of spell on a second spellcaster. I am suspecting not, as text doesn't say "target friendly spellcaster" but the range stat puts an element of confusion in.

b) However,if yes, the effects then come from the targeted spellcaster?
c) These spells can be channeled through the megalith?

DO Lore spells
3) Omens - When do I state whether it is +1 to melee attack or Damage? At spell casting or when the target is about to perform an attack? (also, is the principle the same for the Legend Lore song from the Bard?) Also, can this switch between a round?
My understanding is that you would choose the effect at time of casting (or singing)

4) (and this is a really stupid question, but I am being thorough) I don't know if you would ever want to target an enemy model/unit with Hand of Shayliss, but are they a viable target? Wording suggests so......

5) Glamour of Cadros
a) If Q2) is yes and I use one druid to target a second if so, the LEAD range is that of the targeted Spellcaster?
b) If targetted spellcaster uses shapeshift and LEAD characteristic increases, thus so does range of effect of this spell?
c) Is this a bubble or a pulse effect?
I.e. bubble - once cast, whilst a friendly model is within LEAD range benefits from its subfaction ability, loses it when it leaves range, gains it when it enters range
pulse - friendly models within LEAD range at time of casting gain benefit till end of round?

SOO Lore spells
6) Shapeshift
a) Obviously the pool of ACT tokens cannot increase during the round when cast, BUT, if sustained on the following round, does the spellcaster use their original ACT for replenishing tokens or their current "shapeshifted" ACT?
b) When sustaining, does the spellcaster keep the stats from the previous round, or have to choose the stats at the time of sustaining?
c) Can the spellcaster choose the basic stats from one friendly model and the Pow from a different friendly model? (The more extreme interpretation would ask can I cherry pick different basic stats from different friendly models within 2". However, I suspect this is very wrong - and would be very cheesey)
d) Can we change basic stats and choose not to change Pow?
e) If a melee weapon on the friendly model has two different POW values, can we choose which value to use?
f) If the stats are coming from a warlordand the Pow as it is just the pow value that changes, the melee weapon on the spellcaster does not count as enchanted right? (unless of course the spellcaster were carrying an enchanted weapon to start with)

COE Lore Spells
7) Fennellyn's Fireblast.
Doesn't mention target. Can I aim it at anything? And when does it count as an Incantation or Thaumaturgy
I) If I target an enemy model, it is Thaumaturgy?
II) if I target the ground (if possible) or an object (also if possible) what does it class as? If this classes as an Incantation, what if enemy models lie under the AOE, does this now count as Thaumaturgy?
III) Can I target a friendly model? And despite an attempt to flame grill a friendly model, does this still count as an Incantation? What if enemy models are under the AOE, will this then become Thaumaturgy?

Sorry for the large amount of questions.

+1 for some of these question - notably some spell being "models with LEAD range" and having a Range on the card - I assume the range on the card is an error (and the spells are effectively self spells)

(04-07-2014, 06:08 PM)TEFFH Wrote:  Just picked up the starter bundle for the Wyldfolk (Niceee!) and have been going through the options provided therein, and have some queries on some of the spells and their consequences, and also some of the useage of the Megalith to channel spells. Some of this may just be a clarification of my interpretation.

First off.
1) Can I equip a druid with a single spell (I suspect so), and if so, can this single spell be from Council of Elms (COE) Lore or Synod of Oaks (SOO) Lore? or do I have to take a spell from Druidic Ogham (DO) Lore before I can take any spell from a different set?
Can be from any lore and no you do not Need to take a spell from DO Lore first.

2) Spells with range characteristic that have effects that stem from "spellcaster". These include Glamour of Cadros (DO), Materialize and Shapeshift (SOO) and Flurry of Leaves (COE).
a) Can I have one spellcaster cast this type of spell on a second spellcaster. I am suspecting not, as text doesn't say "target friendly spellcaster" but the range stat puts an element of confusion in.
the spellcaster referred to in spell descriptions is the caster of the spell, not some other spellcaster on the table.

b) However,if yes, the effects then come from the targeted spellcaster?
No
c) These spells can be channeled through the megalith?
Spells can be channeled through the Megalith.

DO Lore spells
3) Omens - When do I state whether it is +1 to melee attack or Damage? At spell casting or when the target is about to perform an attack? (also, is the principle the same for the Legend Lore song from the Bard?) Also, can this switch between a round?
My understanding is that you would choose the effect at time of casting (or singing)
Chose at the time of casting and no switching.

4) (and this is a really stupid question, but I am being thorough) I don't know if you would ever want to target an enemy model/unit with Hand of Shayliss, but are they a viable target? Wording suggests so......
Yes, but in that case you would need to add the enemy's MAG to the casting complexity...but can't envision a situation where healing the enemy would be useful.

5) Glamour of Cadros
a) If Q2) is yes and I use one druid to target a second if so, the LEAD range is that of the targeted Spellcaster?
b) If targetted spellcaster uses shapeshift and LEAD characteristic increases, thus so does range of effect of this spell?
c) Is this a bubble or a pulse effect?
I.e. bubble - once cast, whilst a friendly model is within LEAD range benefits from its subfaction ability, loses it when it leaves range, gains it when it enters range
pulse - friendly models within LEAD range at time of casting gain benefit till end of round?

SOO Lore spells
6) Shapeshift
a) Obviously the pool of ACT tokens cannot increase during the round when cast, BUT, if sustained on the following round, does the spellcaster use their original ACT for replenishing tokens or their current "shapeshifted" ACT?
technically the spell lasts until the end of the round. In the following round the Generate ACT is done before sustaining spells, so technically you should use the ACT of the Druid. In any case, most times the ACT will be the same for the shapeshifted form and the Druid (who has 5 ACT).
b) When sustaining, does the spellcaster keep the stats from the previous round, or have to choose the stats at the time of sustaining?
Keeps the stats of the previous round.
c) Can the spellcaster choose the basic stats from one friendly model and the Pow from a different friendly model? (The more extreme interpretation would ask can I cherry pick different basic stats from different friendly models within 2". However, I suspect this is very wrong - and would be very cheesey)
No, that would clearly be an unfair and strange interpretation of the spell description and not in the spirit of the intended rules. We could regulate such things by writing a Godslayer encyclopedia but common sense and sportsmanship should make that unnecessary :-).

d) Can we change basic stats and choose not to change Pow?
NO, the description says you change basics stats AND the POW of the weapon.
e) If a melee weapon on the friendly model has two different POW values, can we choose which value to use?
YES, in that case you can use either freely during any attacks.
f) If the stats are coming from a warlordand the Pow as it is just the pow value that changes, the melee weapon on the spellcaster does not count as enchanted right? (unless of course the spellcaster were carrying an enchanted weapon to start with)
Only the POW of the weapon is taken, not any weapon abilities. If that were the case, the spell description would mention that.

COE Lore Spells
7) Fennellyn's Fireblast.
Doesn't mention target. Can I aim it at anything? And when does it count as an Incantation or Thaumaturgy
You can target any model.
Spells cast against enemies are thaumaturgy. Spells cast against friends are incantations. for more Details please see P77 of the rulebook.

I) If I target an enemy model, it is Thaumaturgy?
II) if I target the ground (if possible) or an object (also if possible) what does it class as? If this classes as an Incantation, what if enemy models lie under the AOE, does this now count as Thaumaturgy?
You Need to target a model unless otherwise stated in the spell description.
III) Can I target a friendly model? And despite an attempt to flame grill a friendly model, does this still count as an Incantation? What if enemy models are under the AOE, will this then become Thaumaturgy?
Yes, and Yes :-) You can chargrill your own troops if you want.

Sorry for the large amount of questions.

I hope I could clarify them all.

Thanks for the clarification, no real surprises, I just wanted to make sure.
Having now played a game I have spotted a potential vagary (I alas lost - forgetting the sub-faction ability of the Fiannor Farfarer didn't help when shooting at Hill Ogres and missing by 1...)

Reading the text of of Omens it states "....gains +1 to their melee attack or damage rolls." My understanding of RAW is that +1 to damage rolls will affect any kind damage rolls performed - whether caused by ranged, melee, magical or spell attacks.
Is this correct?

I first thought that the intent was that it was supposed to be +1 to melee damage rolls, but as the Bard's Legend Lore song states "...gains either +1 to melee attack or +1 to melee damage rolls", implying that a rule will state if affects a specific type of attack or damge roll.

(04-14-2014, 02:07 PM)TEFFH Wrote:  Reading the text of of Omens it states "....gains +1 to their melee attack or damage rolls." My understanding of RAW is that +1 to damage rolls will affect any kind damage rolls performed - whether caused by ranged, melee, magical or spell attacks.
Is this correct?

I think this should be an error, and the spell should become "+1 to their melee attack or melee damage rolls." Otherwise Hurricane winds is only desirable in combination with Omens.

I agree with James Harrison, otherwise the spell would be underprized.

I also agree and suspect it is an error. However, as Hurricane winds explicitly states "missile damage rolls", the precedent has been set, and thus I thought it important to point out the wording with Omens.