Troglodytes - 160 pts starter
Megalith Games - Official Forums

07-20-2012 10:38 PM

Warzoner Offline

Let's get this started with what we have. I really like the style of the Troglodytes, more precisely the one of the Trolloth faction (kind of a mix between warriors of chaos and orcs). Choosing between them and the Banebrodd will not be an easy task when the time will come. Here's what I would have in mind :

Duskborn Chieftain - 54 pts
Thick Hide - 6 pts
Heavy Morning Star Pair - 7 pts
Styganite Crystal - 5 pts

Feral Hammerfist - 38 pts

Ironhide Brutes x3 - 50 pts

Total : 160

So, pretty straightforward isn't it ? Everything rush toward the enemies, and the chieftain use his talisman to eliminate ranged threat.
What's your opinion ?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2012 11:15 PM
RE: Troglodytes - 160 pts starter

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

I once played with the same set-up Big Grin (well, a starter box game leaves not that much options, and at one point you will have tried out every one of them).

It works pretty well if used with care. Chieftain and Brutes are a good combo, and the Hammerfist is perfect for flanking and sudden strikes.

Edit: Gets even better if combined with some Feral Grayhorns, but that's not for starter box matches Wink

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 11:16 PM by Raoul.)
07-20-2012 11:20 PM

Warzoner Offline

I think this faction (more precisely, this sub-faction), will be pretty damn straight forward and easy to use.
07-20-2012 11:23 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

They are straightforward.
Still, you should avoid getting charged by elites unprepared. So just going berserk can be dangerous.

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
07-21-2012 06:37 AM

Ridmasta Offline

You shouldn't have too much trouble going through standard infantry like the mongrels etc, the phalanx/testudo'd humans may slow you a bit but not too much, and you have the damage boxes to survive those mighty POW 2's of mortan legionnaires hehe

My Blog: http://fanplasticlittlemen.blogspot.co.uk/

Miniature Painting Service and Hobby Site
08-06-2012 02:35 PM

lameth Offline

DonĀ“t underestimate the humans Wink I have played yesterday with Mortans against the Trogs with a similar combo. I used the Legionnaires to engage and block the Chieftain and the Brutes. Then the Centurion killed all of them one by one. The Feral was isolated and killed early in the game. At the end on the battlefield stood only my Centurion and two Legionnaires, each with 1 box left.

So you have to coordinate your movement and your attacks. Just running forward will not bring your the victory Wink
09-19-2012 10:08 PM

David Offline
Administrator

The Trolloth Subfaction is in my opinion the least subtle of all the subfactions.

That said - its still damn fun to play. Sometimes I just want to do some simple crushing and these guys are the professionals for that. They are probably the easiest subfaction for a beginner to learn the game.

The other subfactions of the Trogs are Shadow Trolls (high-points, magicky, ethereal and fast); and Gnolls (a cheap-points horde subfaction).
Naturally, all three subfactions can be combined and that makes Trolloth much less "simple".

But in terms of using them on their own, exclusively as a Trolloth subfaction, then there are some points to consider.
One great advantage of the Trolloth is their "ignore shields" ability since many models in Godslayer are equipped with shields.

Although they are unsubtle, they still need to be played intelligently in terms of placement so they support each other during melee to gang-up on enemies and take them out.

With average DEF and decent armor, combined with 10 Life-points each and regeneration, Ironhide Brutes can stay in the ring a long time if you take care to rotate the models with least LPs out of danger whenever possible. After a couple turns of regeneration the serious casualties can be thrown back into the thick of the fight.

If the unit of Ironhide Brutes is at or near full complement, then always use the Duskborn Chieftain to support. He has 3 awesome unit tactics. Its certainly tempting to spend all his action tokens on attacks, but you will have a far greater effect when you use him to boost a full unit of Ironhides with a tactic.

Trolloth subfaction was designed to be less subtle than others, but still needs to be used intelligently because they are not total killers. With these guys the core rules of movement, engaging, placement of models, assigning targets to attack, maneuvering to get the charge - all the basics of the game are vitally important for them.

Conversely, other facrions with mega-armor and super-defensive tactics do not need to worry so much about some of the basic dangers and rules.

So what I'm saying in a roundabout way is that they are still tactical but their tacticalness revolves more around the core rules of the game rather than fancy, strategic self tactics and orders.

In a combined subfaction warband they make a nice backbone for the warband.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2012 10:15 PM by David.)