Most Useful Spells/Equipment for Obsidian Nightmare
Megalith Games - Official Forums

02-21-2014 07:22 PM

Riquende Offline

So I've been able to source some spares and get myself close to a 300pt warband. It currently looks like
  • Obsidian Nightmare
  • Longshadows x 3
  • Longshadows x 3
  • Lighteater
  • Lighteater

The spells for the Longshadows are quite straightforward - Magic Void is too situational for me, so Otherworld Stability and Twilight Gleaming are my picks.

However, the equipment choices for the Nightmare are a little trickier. For his talisman, I think the Mask of Dusk is the premium choice - he's already pretty tough to hurt, and this outright reduces the opponent's options in ways to attack him.

I don't like the flails that require 3ACT to use, it seems he'll get a lot more use out of the Dusk Whip.

As for spells, Umbra's Embrace looks really useful, which leaves him with a choice between Midnight Blessing or one of the damage spells. In the one game I've had so far, Gloomblast was handy to have, but I did feel like having a greater Mel on the Longshadows would have been a good shout. Maybe take both and leave Umbra's Embrace?

Rick
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2014 01:06 AM
RE: Most Useful Spells/Equipment for Obsidian Nightmare

Till Offline

Twilight Salvation is so far my most favourite spell for the Obsidian Nightmare. Being able to pass 2 ACT that way is huge for many units. Longshadows whith 7 ACT can walk 5 times and Mental Grasp once. This is a great way to soften up units and with 2 walks and a doubled Mental Grasp you start getting dangerous for character models too. But of course I would recommend playing a full group of 5 Longshadows for this tactic. The Feral Grayhorns later on, or the Hammerfist, will even get another attack out of that ACT.

I fully agree on the Mask of Dusk for the item to go for the Nightmare.

But I do disagree on the Dusk Whip. The Gloomblast spell is very close to what the whip does, with the advantage of range. So if you see yourself in the necessity to use a meele weapon I would take one that does something different than that spell, or just take the spell and save 5 points by not bying a weapon at all. 3 ACT is a bit of a pain, but I like the +1 Mel from the Flail of Everdark, while the curse of the Gloomwyrm Tail is not that good on a second glance. Vs. unit you can't spread it well enough, -2 MIS and -2 MOV doesn't matter much when you are already in meele and -2 MEL for another warband leader in a dogfight is not enough when you are sitting on DEF 13. Maybe its enough when you go for monstrous creatures that they start to miss, but I prefer the solid bonus of the Tail.
04-01-2014 12:05 PM

Mnil Offline

IMO, the Dusk Whip is the best weapon of ON if You want to make him pretty fightable Wink

How can You compare it to spell while most units has it's magic about 4, and many other will have magic res from tactics, etc...

So you need 7 to cast it, with charge and Dusk Whip, You have +1 mel +1 direct, slay movement, and You need to hit with 5-6, and can still reroll one die.

Imagine that - you charge leader like Centurion, Demarchon or Reaver Tyrant You hits at 5/6 and deals in average (with reroll) 4-5 direct dmg, and again and 3rd time - guess what, with some luck - He dies after all Wink later on you can for example enter his friends zone with your free move Wink

Same with pe. hoplites, with 5hp, you usually gets SL and so on Wink

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2014 12:07 PM by Mnil.)
05-03-2014 12:09 AM

Riddgaard Offline

Agree on the Dusk Whip choice...with my record of D3 throws, that re-roll will always be needed!
As for spells, I don't think there's a 'best' as it will depend so much on what you have in your warband, what synergy you're looking at and whether you're looking to inflict pain (Noxal Rites spells or maybe Midnight Blessing) or protecting your own guys (where Grayblood or Discarnate may be very useful).

I'd say the only good Mortan is a dead Mortan but they're probably the worst kind! Pendragon Hywel ap Morgan before the battle of the Silver Forest...
05-03-2014 10:41 PM

Riquende Offline

Grayblood can't be used on non-living models, which all of mine are.

Disincarnate should be used on enemy models, surely? Stop them hitting you as hard (essentially quartering most damage).

Rick