Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...
02-13-2014 02:14 PM
RE: Ideas about dealing with Magistratum based army...

David Offline
Administrator

For Banbrood you could try:
Gorelord with Urghast Charm (immunity to Magic) and a unit of 3-4 Guthackers plus a Fallow Shaman.

Guthackers have MAG5 so they are pretty resistant to Magic.
MAG5 plus basic complexity of 9 = complexity 14 which means the Necromagus needs 8+. they also have plenty of life Points to absorb damage from the Ashes to Ashes spell.

Give them Long Legs with your Shaman, and they will have 16 inches of Movement per round. So in round two they will already be charging the Legio Mortum.

Just like the Hill Ogres example above, the Guthackers have Circular Slash, and even better, they have a MEL of 8 with Charge Bonus and POW 8. Against Legio Mortum DEF11, the Guthackers Need 3+ to hit. So with 4 Guthackers you will be making on average 15 attacks at POW8 followed by lots more attacks at POW5.

they also ignore the Legio Mortum's Deadflesh ability, and cause Fear themselves so are immune to Fear.

Even the Gorelord himself could manage this. Cast on him Long Legs and he has a basic movement of 20 inches per round, and a charge range of 14 inches.

Two Combos to consider
Exoskeleton + Hornplate Armor + Witchweed Extract = ARM10
Or:
Bugstalk Eyes + Gutplate of Negirath + Witchweed Extract = DEF17

Legio Mortum will need 3-4 rounds to take this guy down with one of those Combos.
While all he Needs to do is Punch a 40mm hole in the Legio Mortum line, then disengage from them and engage the nearest Mortan spellcasters. By disemgaging he micht suffer a couple of free-strikes but with the Combos mentioned above, they will be irrelevant.

No Mortan spellcasters can outrun a Gorelord with Long Legs, but I would love to watch them try :-)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2014 03:53 PM

Mnil Offline

But with Guthackers or/and Gorelord i won't brake because of Soulbound which is too strong to overcome. So ok, i will live longer, but still i won't brake throught even with circular slash - game will be only a little bit longer...

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
02-13-2014 05:23 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

But with soulbound the mortifex loses D3 direct damage each time he uses it. Against guthackers with circular slash he won't use it pretty often since he would die otherwise. And the models who are saved by soulbound are knocked down, so you can move away from them without getting any free strikes.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
02-13-2014 05:33 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Unbuffed Guthackers
If you charge the Legio Mortum with 4 Guthackers, you will need 3+ to hit. So with 4 Guthackers you will be making on average 15 attacks at POW8 followed by lots more attacks at POW5.

The first 15 attacks will kill on a 3+
The following 12-15 attacks will kill on 6+
That's even without using a buff like Bulging Biceps spell or Howling Mad tactic.

Buffed Guthackers
If you use both of those, the guthackers will Need 2+ to hit and will kill on a 1+ for the first 16 attacks and kill on a 4+ for the second round.

So we are looking at easily 20 killing strikes unbuffed and 25+ killing strikes with the buffed Guthackers.

So if the Mortifex uses his Soulbound ability, then that means he would need to suffer D3 direct damage 20-25 times, which is an avegarge of 40-50 life-points damage. Even with the best healing potion he could not manage that.

Secondly, you do not even need to win against the Legio Mortum to win the game.
While your Guthackers have engaged all the Legio Mortum, your Gorleord can circle them with his 20-inch movement and go after the spellcasters directly. What can the Mortifex and Necromagi do against him?
Nothing, because he has the Urghast charm so is ummune to their magic. All they can do is attack him in melee with their staffblades.....yeah, well good luck with that!!
Your Gorelord with ARM10 or DEF17 will laugh at their pathetic attacks, then rip their limbs off and shower in their blood.

Meanwhile your Fallow Shaman can also close on the Mortan spellcasters along the other flank. He can easily take down a Necromagus by himself.

If you cannot score a decisive victory with this warband then you need to examine and revise your tactics, because it is very possible to achieve.

So try it, and next week your opponent can ask the forum for advice how to beat your unstoppable, unbalanced warband :-)
02-13-2014 05:33 PM

Mnil Offline

ok, we shall talk again after GH release, couse we don't use proxies Wink

02-13-2014 05:42 PM

David Offline
Administrator

You can even achieve the same effect by properly buffing your Mongrels before charging:
-Howling Mad tactic from warlord
-1 extra Action Token
-Bulging Biceps spell
-Charge Bonus

= MEL6, POW6 X3 attacks per Mongrel X 8 Mongrels = 24 attacks
needing 5+ to hit and 5+ to kill. That's about 10 kills with average rolls = 10 XD3 direct damage to the Mortifex if he wants to heal the Legio Mortum.

All you need to do is occupy the Legio Mortum for 2 rounds while your Gorelord circles the melee and executes the spellcasters.
02-13-2014 05:43 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

@David: I don't think even a Gorelord can squeeze enough blood out of a necromagus / mortifex to take a shower... Wink

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
02-13-2014 06:21 PM

Mnil Offline

You all guys forget about formation, it looks like that after 1st turn:

----
H-------N-----M-----N----
I---S----S----S-----S-----H
L------S----S----S----S----I
L---------------------S-- ---I
-------------------S--------L
------------------CH--------
------------------AN--------
------------------LL---------
-----------------ING-----------

Even with long legs and exra pow If You even kiil First row, next round You will get xtra 2 or 3 skeletons and you don't have a charge, Monglers die from 2nd spell and Gorelord can kill max 3 models and eveything ends...

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 06:21 PM by Mnil.)
02-13-2014 07:11 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Okay, but why are you throwing your Gorlord at the Legio Mortum??
That's not an effective strategy.

Distract them with Mongrels and use the Gorlord to execute the Spellcasters.

If you had 2 Necromagi and 1 Mortifex then you can cast Ashes to Ashes 7 times per round. Even if you succeed, with every casting roll, that is a Maximum of 14 Points damage you can cause.
The damage roll only affects one model.

Rot applies once. If a model has Rot, it cannot then take more Rot damage when you cast the spell again. See page 101 General Effects Limitation.

So let's imagine every spellcasting roll succeeds and every Mongrel Fails an affliction test for Rot. That is 1 Point damage X 8 models. Plus 14 Points from all damage from the spell. So you could kill 2 Mongrels and half kill a third Mongrel. then the other 5 have 5 LPs left.

With MEL6, POW6 X3 attacks per Mongrel X 8 Mongrels = 24 attacks
needing 5+ to hit and 5+ to kill. That's about 10 kills with average rolls = 10 X D3 direct damage to the Mortifex if he wants to heal the Legio Mortum.

So you have enough Mongrel attacks to execute the entire unit.
the Mortifex can bring 5 of them back to life, losing an average of 10 LPs. So now your 5 Mongrels are locked in melee with 5 Legio Mortum, and suffering from Rot.

No more Legio Mortum can be raised to add to the unit because the spell casters used all spells on Ashes to Ashes.

Your Mongrels will definitely last 2 turns in melee. Binding the Legio Mortum so they cannot attack your Gorelord.

That is all they need to achieve in order to get your Gorelord into melee with the Mortifex. Then its GAME OVER for the Mortans.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:12 PM by David.)
02-13-2014 08:07 PM

Mnil Offline

First, i don't have enough points to play 8 monglers. 8 monglers - 3 necromagus ~200points.
Believe me, i have used all stuff you said in many battles, but with clever opponent he will never let me go through...

Second - No, they only need to hit once my 4-5 monglers, maximum 2 with ashes to ashes, one turn before charge, rest are skeletons / extra tokens.
I have 15 attacks versus max 4-5 skeletons, because THERE IS 2 DOUBLE-ROW, so if i want to attack second row i need to move, but wait, i will not move because of soulboundand positioning.
I didin't mention that one or 2 monglers will die even before charge because of channeling spells, so in reality i will have no more than 12 attacks.

3rd thing, if i want to outmaneuver with GoreLord, you have seen my draught - the oponnent always will take hide between walls, hills, skeletons and everything we call terrain etc and put 2 or 3 skeletons in the row (i don't have bloodthirst, slaymovement) and I still can't brake through...

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 08:10 PM by Mnil.)