What models/units should I double-up on?

Ok, so long time no posting for me. Haven't gotten to play much Godslayer in a while but finally got a game against Mortans in yesterday.

Now the topic pretty much sums up what this post is going to be about. What I have noticed with the current line of Trog models is that, given the point costs, there isn't very much that I can see that I would want to take two of. I've got a break-down of how I see it at the moment but I'm open to suggestions from more experienced players.

Keep it mind that this is only in relation to models that are out. I hate using proxies so I'm not going to be looking at something like Runts who seemed to be much more geared towards a hoard list.

Models/units I may take two of;
-Lighteater: I'm 99% sure I'll end up with two of these guys. Covering 10" of the field with haze effects just provides too much utility to ignore.

-Brutes: Rather solid fighters, especially when backed-up with some buffs from the Duskborn. Given that two full units is 160 I'm not sure if I'll go that route. But I could see myself taking a full unit as the vanguard and then a min unit as support.

-Fleshpounder: I'm a little hesitant to take two of him, mostly due to the rather high point post for an individual model and his role on the battlefield. I've found that he destroys most units thanks to direct damage but struggles a bit with characters. So while one will almost always find a place (in the middle of an enemy unit, smashing them Smile ) two might be overkill.

Models/units I probably won't take two of;

-Longshadows: I haven't used them yet but they are just so expensive. A full unit is about 1/3 of your force at the 300 pt. level. And two min-level units comes out to the same cost as two max units of Brutes. While they are good I feel they are a bit too expensive to have more than one, especially since a magic-heavy enemy will ruin your day if you rely on them too much as your main force.

-Hammerfist: Honestly, I'm struggling just to find a place for this guy in my army. He never seems to do very much. He can't take orders but lacks the unit-stomping power of the Fleshpounder. His Rumble seems good on paper but rarely delivers. The best function I've found for him is spearheading the attack with the Brutes just to tie up some other models. Probably the most lackluster model for Trogs IMHO.

So there you have it. Any thoughts/suggestions?

The Dice Gods are a cruel and fickle pantheon.

I play:
Troglodytes - "Look, if you would all just maintain the balance we wouldn't have to smash you."

For now, I will only comment on the most obvious decision: By all means, take two Lighteaters! Smile
Having one on each of your flanks is the best way of giving your opponent some serious headaches.

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty

Quote:-Hammerfist: Honestly, I'm struggling just to find a place for this guy in my army. He never seems to do very much. He can't take orders but lacks the unit-stomping power of the Fleshpounder.

Hes a character, not a creature. So all tactics work.
Useful for bodyguard warlords or casters because of the threatening ability.
Has a hard time fighting heavy armored models.
He seems maybe a bit expensive when you get a fleshpounder for only 10 points more...

Ah, so he is! May have to try him out again. I think with a tactic and/or an extra tactic point he may have some more usefulness.

But yeah for 10 pts. more the Fleshpounder is considerably better even though he is a creature. The direct damage threatens even Mortans.

The Dice Gods are a cruel and fickle pantheon.

I play:
Troglodytes - "Look, if you would all just maintain the balance we wouldn't have to smash you."

Just based on my style of play, I love to take lots of core troopers, whatever faction. Ironhide Brutes are great models if you use them properly.

With lots of Brutes, I use my Duskborn as a support warlord because he has two great unit tactics:

Carnage - gives units Slay Movement!
Rage- +1 MEL (even on counter-attacks)

Rage is especially useful with Brutes because of their low MEL of 5. When they are buffed with Rage and offensive fighting style, they become very effective.

Especially against Hoplites, Fjell Warriors and Legionnaires they really shine because of their Ignore Shields ability. They effectively have a +3 stat bonus against shield armed models.

Against models on medium or large bases they are also great because of their +1/+1 Bonus from Savage Pride.

I love to take at 2-3 units of Brutes. With ARM7, 10 lifepoints and Regeneration I think they are really worth their Points and great fun to Play!

So for me it'S:
1 Duskborn Chieftain
1 Lighteater
1 Fleshpounder
2 Units of Brutes