Godslayer discussion on Fools Daily
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Godslayer discussion on Fools Daily
02-07-2014 10:59 AM
RE: Godslayer discussion on Fools Daily

nepalese_ninja Offline

Thanks for the feedback David. We wanted to get across the fact that we had seen improvements and I think we did. We also wanted to get across that despite what you see on the website, the figures were not what they seemed. The minis in general are good with some awesome looking scuplts and figures. The realisation of "oh thats not a bad figure actually" moment is something I have experienced personally as well as the "oogh thats a really nice figure" too. Its the human side of the fact that we have gone through the journey that we see in others but have then committed to the game and not been disappointed.

There are many game systems out there where people put up with the fact that the figure range isnt perfect - Godslayer is the same. If people can see past this and start playing is where I think the buy in will come. This will come from word and mouth and people actually seeing the figures and game system.

Des and I and other members of the Tanelorn Wargames Club from East London will be demoing Godslayer games at Salute this year. Hopefully people can see there that the game is a good game and that the figures are not what they expect.

Resistance is Futile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014 11:15 AM

Zeria Offline

Thanks for the podcasts guys they where a really good honest review with all the bumps and faults as well as the great bits on show. Some of the older sculpts are a not up to the recent models standards but as you say as a whole the range is amazing and I know up here in stirling war gamers i have had nothing but good comments about them, but I have got all my guys painted up now so it helps for folks to see the potential even with a fairly decent paint job on them. I will also be demoing the game at our local wargaming show "Falkirk Carronade" in may so lets hope we both can get the extra interest in what we all know to be a great game even at this early stage in its life and that any issues it does have get ironed out.

"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2014 11:16 AM by Zeria.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014 04:03 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Every comment regarding the miniatures is absolutely correct, and there are a few duds in the early ones, which will be replaced in due course.

And of course the earliest paint-jobs were not great, and neiter were the photos.

I have also experinced at every convention, most people who see the minis say "wow, they look so much better in real life!"

Paintjobs are now much better, and so is the photoshop work :-)
Sculpts are also getting better and better.

We are also now working on changing the softness of the metal.

Thanks again guys; your efforts to promote Godslayer are greatly appreciated.

Some skirmish games are started by a talented sculptor and Artist. Neither Andre or I are sculptors, but we are pretty good Designers, writers and rules developers. In fact our Background is Gamers.

It may Sound arrogant or oppinionated to say that Godslayer rules are the best System around today, but I truly believe that, and it is because our Background is "Gamers" rather than sculptors. I have played plenty of skirmish games and some are clearly an afterthought by sculotrs who are not pro-Gamers. and for that reason they are inferior.

So I readily agree that there are miniature ranges out there which are better than ours (and I even collect some of them), but Godslayer surpasses them all in its rules system.

Above all, we wanted both playability AND realism. We were unwilling to accept the standard “thinking inside the box” idea that to gain one sacrificed the other! This was the defining principle which shaped the creation of the Godslayer rules.

Godslayer is incredibly flexible, allowing a tremendous realism along with easy playability. This is due primarily to six aspects:
• Alternating player activations.
• Action-token system to regulate every model/unit’s actions
• No artificial phases for movement and attacks (models can do anything any time)
• Customising warlords by selecting items.
• Passive activation (interrupts).
• Different types of attacks, charges and large number of unique abilities.

I am absolutely convinced that Godslayer has hit a new level in playability AND realism.

So that's my daily ramble finished now :-)
02-08-2014 07:45 PM

Zeria Offline

very well said david indeed, but i think you forgot to add customising spell lists not just the items, i really feel its a big plus being able to just buy the spells you want so you can try out combo's rather then rolling some dice for spell lists and hoping you get the good spells or in that matter always having the same spells. Makes its less easy for an opponent to predict how your warband is going to work compared to another which seems identical at first glance.

"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
02-08-2014 08:16 PM

spy Offline

Good work guys!

What I hear frequently is quite the same what David wrote.
In general I hear much more positive feedback than negative.

Especially what has been written about alternate turns, action tokens and passive activation.

One thing I would like to add as idea for future improvement:

Several players pointed out that there is always just one model for creatures, characters and war machines.
E.g. there is only one Fjellgangr and he is very hard to convert ot a "different" model. Same is true for all the other deployment Limit 2-3 models.
02-12-2014 10:22 PM

Madcat Offline

Thanks for the podcast. Being German, I had some minor issues understanding it, but it is really well done..:-). David, thanks for your daily ramble..It is very interesting to read your "Designers Notes"..:-).
For the metal part; I recently bought the Kinslayers and I had the feeling that their material is different (harder) than the older figures. Am I right?
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2014 10:23 PM by Madcat.)
02-13-2014 03:18 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Hi Madcat,
Yes you are right; we already made some steps towards a harder metal with recent minis like Kinswords, but we are still working on it and should receive som new samples to check on Friday.