Syntarch's Counterstrike
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Syntarch's Counterstrike
08-25-2014 01:28 AM
RE: Syntarch's Counterstrike

David Offline
Administrator

a) As I understand the Syntarch(SR1+1=2) does not get free strikes from 3 Skulleaters ??
Counterstrike does not mention anywhere that he ignores free strikes. His strike rank is the standard 0 plus 1. Having a higher SR does not allow you to ignore free strikes when you move/charge.

b) Can Syntarch do slay move after succesful counetstrike (kill enemy?)
No, because this is a passive activation. Slay movement is not a usual passive activation action. The rule only states that the passive activation allows him to do a Charge. IF Slay movement was intended, then that would also be specified in the rule.

c) Can Syntarch do few conterstrikes this same round (of course next time any enemy model launch syntarch counterstrike)
Yes. Normally you can only perform one charge in a round, but this Charge Action is the result of a tactic, not a regular Charge Action, and so the wording of the tactic and the regulations of tactics in General apply. The tactic remains active until his next standard activation, so potentially he could do more than one counterstrike, but remember he cannot charge if he is still engaged (mentioned in the counterstrike rule), so he would need to kill the enemies he is engaged with each time before he could counterstrike again.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 01:34 AM by David.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2014 08:08 AM

Arbassos Offline

Thanks for Your explanations.
a)But what about "Interrupting actions" rule? Skulleaters in that exmpl. are during charge action, just after charge movement and before charge attacks. Are free strikes no actions ?? (no AcT needed, but it`s still an attack?)
08-30-2014 12:38 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Not sure I understand the question.

A unit of skulleaters charges and Triggers the Syntarch's counterstrike.

First step as per the rule description of Counterstrike is to move the chargers. After that, if the Syntarch leaves the MEL range of one of these Skulleaters, then he would Trigger a Free Strike from them.
08-30-2014 07:49 AM

Arbassos Offline

As I understand the situation:
1.Skulleaters charge and trigger Syntarch couterstrike after they end their charge move, next
2.Syntarch can activate counterstrike and decide to do that, next
3.Syntarch can do charge action immidiately, so he can move 8 inches and next do his attack, just in this specific momentum, after charge movement, but before charge attacks of Skulleaters
4.Syntarch is charging one of Skulleaters, leaving reach range rest of them, so
5. Skulleaters unit doesn`t end it`s charge action, because Syntarch triggered his Counterstrike after Skulleaters movement, and before Skulleaters do their attacks (interrupted Skulleater`s charge action??)
So, I assume until Syntarch end his Counterstrike action Skulleaters cant do new action (like couterattacks or free strikes)until they end their charge (in accordance with new Interrupting Actions Rule??), thats mean do their attacks.
I look upon Counterstrike as a separate syntarch action, which should be end, until we can go next step
Syntach charge, wounding (or even not) one of Skulleaters. Charged Skulleater is in the middle of doing something, so he don`t counterattack (like with free strikes before) until he will stop chis full charge.
6. After Syntach counterstrike action Skulleaters can do their attacks and declare their next steps. Just now Skulleaters unit ends their previous action and can act/react.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 08:28 AM by Arbassos.)
08-30-2014 12:51 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

I think you are right now, but to be sure, I reassume it again as we tested it (and how the rule is intended):

1. Skulleaters declare charge

2. Skulleaters make their charge movement (one at a time - the Syntarch can decide after ever model if he wants to counterstrike or not) and at least one model ends this movement within 6" of an unengaged Syntarch with the counterstrike tactic active and thus triggers the counterstrike (he would also be able to do that if a model from this charging Skulleater unit would have charged him).

But keep in mind that you have to name the model that he wants to charge the moment it ends it's (charge) movement. If the first Skulleater would have charged a model next to the Syntarch (or even himself) and thus engages him as well and the player didn't trigger counterstrike, he can't do it against an other model even of the same unit as he is already engaged by the former model (hope it is clear what I mean...).

3. The Syntarch can now choose his attack, pays the ACT and does his charge movement towards the triggering model. This follows the normal rules for charge movement, so if he leaves the melee reach of any enemy model during this movement it can make a free strike against him (this is also an interrupting action and thus occurs as soon as he leaves the model's melee range!)

4. The Syntarch makes his charge attacks. Now the enemy model has to decide if it likes to counter attack or not (this is stupid in most cases since the whole units pays the ACT and only one model makes an attack. And since the +1 SR for the Syntarch it happens afterwards anyways, so making a normal round of attacks after the charge attack of the unit is way more effective in 99.9% of the cases...)

5. If he kills the target model with his counterstrike attack (contrary to David's post!) IT IS ALLOWED TO MAKE SLAYMOVEMENT. The counterstrike is handled like a normal charge an thus enables the Syntarch to do slaymovement if he desires.

6. If he is not engaged anymore after his attacks he can make another counterstrike with his remaining ACT (if any) later this round (even against the next model of the charging unit)

7. Now the charging unit makes their charge attacks, the charged unit may counter attack (normal order of charge occurs again)

8. If the Syntarch killed enough enemies to force a bravery test, the unit still finish their charge (including counter attacks) and then makes their test and flees if failed.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
09-01-2014 11:15 AM

udunsflame Offline

(08-30-2014 12:51 PM)Simon Wrote:  3. The Syntarch can now choose his attack, pays the ACT and does his charge movement towards the triggering model. This follows the normal rules for charge movement, so if he leaves the melee reach of any enemy model during this movement it can make a free strike against him (this is also an interrupting action and thus occurs as soon as he leaves the model's melee range!)

Thank you Simon, but if I'm correct, a free strike will only be triggered if the Syntarch passes through an enemies melee range during his (counter)charge, not?
In point 2 you said the countercharge can only be triggerd when the Syntarch is not in melee reach of an enemy...
So the free strike could only come from a model that was not engaged with the syntarch at the start of his countercharge?!

Is this correct?

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2014 01:11 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Yes, that is correct. If he passes through an enemies melee reach he leaves it at one point. This is the moment the free strike occurs.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"