Syntarch's Counterstrike
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Syntarch's Counterstrike
07-06-2014 09:28 AM
RE: Syntarch's Counterstrike

Markgrafgero Offline

1. The syntarch counterchargers after Model A finished its movement, so no interrupt. Except A dies of course.

2. No, standing up is a movement action and so prevents you from charging after.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2014 02:42 AM

David Offline
Administrator

(03-25-2014 09:58 AM)Grimnir Wrote:  Hi,
in a rulebook there are 4 basic passive activations
counter attacks, fleeing, free strikes, expiry rolls.
IMO it needs clarification and explicite statemant that passive activation can't trigger another passive activation (for example counter attack and free strike). But let's take a closer look at the expiry rolls which are done "at the beginning of each of the model's standard activations"(p.101) and fleeing which can also happen in model's standard activation.
So two from four main passive activations deny statement that all passive activations have to be made outside standard activation.

I am not sure that we need a general rule listed for passive activations against passive activations. Each rules involving a passive activation clearly describes when it applies and when it does not apply.

For example. a unit charges a Syntarch and he countercharges, running through another model's MEL range, trigerring a free-strike.

Are there any specific situations which are unclear?
07-10-2014 09:58 PM

Grimnir Offline

Hi David,
you have quoted my reply to Raoul and Simon statements about passive activation.
For me it's clear that passive activation can be triggered whenever circumstances aloud it (doesn't matter if it's activation of models or not).
Please help me with below situation:
Syntarch is charged by a unit of 4 Kinswords. First unit's model move in charge and engage Syntarch (Halodynes player doesn't trigger Counterstrike). Then second unit's model move in charge and engage Syntarch, in this moment Halodynes player trigger Counterstrike and charge second model (he is in melee range of two models who have already moved in charge). Nordgaard player wants to counter attack Syntarch (I know that Syntarch has +1 Strike rank and attack first).
Is it legal and possible?
What about charge bonus, do Kinswords have it when they counter attack?

Could you divide in phases how the situation should be played?
07-11-2014 12:47 AM

Markgrafgero Offline

Counterstrike triggers from model/unit, so all unit members have to end their chargemovement first. Anything else would result in crazy freestrike situations if the Syntarch moves into the charge way before the whole unit moves.
And i see no reason to counterattack the Syntarch.
The Syntarch attacks them first. The Kinswords do their charge attack and buy their next attack, including the charge bonus.
If they do the counterattack first, nothing would change in the situation. They have to wait until the Syntarch is done, and attack twice. It does not matter if the counterattack has a charge bonus. (i imagine you have it because the charge was successful). Its the same, just more complicated.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2014 12:48 AM by Markgrafgero.)
07-11-2014 12:24 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Markgrafgero is entirely correct.

The entire unit of Kinswords must finish its movement first before the Syntarch activates, because his passive activation is trigerred by the moving unit.
Additionally no Action (movement, attack, spell casting, expiry roll, etc) may be interrupted by another Action - the interrupt always occurs after the current Action has been done - in this case after the charge movement.

The Syntarch then attacks first because he has higher strike rank. then the Kinswords make their attacks with their Charge Bonus.

The Kinswords have not lost their Charge in anyway, just imagine that the Syntarch and Kinswrods are both charging each other, and the Syntarch has faster reactions.
08-17-2014 12:49 AM

Grimnir Offline

Ok, I think I get it.
So in the example where model/models A charge some other model B, and Syntarch is triggered A can, if the player wants, counter attack Syntarch's counterstrike and A have charge bonus, am I correct ?
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 12:50 AM by Grimnir.)
08-21-2014 12:33 PM

Stefano Offline

Mmm... But shouldn't the Syntharch be unable to countercharge if he is already engaging/engaged? (As for normal charges)

Since Syntharch counterstrike starts after the enemy movement i thought that at the moment of his passive activation, if already engaged/engaging by the incoming unit, he just loses the opportunity to counter-charge and can only eventually counter-attack.

Or the counter-charge simply ignores "standard" charges restrictions?

[Image: banner.png]
08-24-2014 01:04 AM

David Offline
Administrator

This will be in the new erata;
Interrupting actions - sometimes it may happen that an action of a model or a unit gets interrupted, e.g. when the Syntarch uses counter-strike on a charging model/unit. In this case the model whose action is interrupted cannot perform any additional actions like counter attacks, etc. because you are not allowed to start a new action until you complete your current action.

To clarify some questions regarding unusual circumstances:
Skulleater A charges Hoplite B, and triggers the Syntarch at the end of his charge movement.

The Syntarch gets to perform his Counter-Strike attack "immediately" (after the charge movement of Skulleater A is complete) as it says in the description, and he has +1 strike rank, so completes his attack first.

If Skulleater A is still alive after the attack from the Syntarch, he may finish his current action (charge attack on Hoplite B). This is because a model cannot start a new action in the middle of another action.

If Skulleater A is killed by the Syntarch in the Counter-Strike attack, then the Skulleater dies before he can make the charge attack against Hoplite B.

After the Skulleater has made his charge attack against Hoplite B, he may then immediately make his counter-attack against the Syntarch.

If Skulleater A had +1 SR (same as the Syntarch), then Skulleater A could complete his charge attack on B and then counter attack the Syntarch all simultaneously with the attack from the Syntarch.

If Skulleater A had +2 SR, then he could complete his charge attack, then attack against the Counter-Striking Syntarch, then the Syntarch could make his attack (if he is still alive), then the counter attack of Hoplite B if he is still alive.

If the Syntarch is already engaged when the Counter-Strike is triggered, then he may not Counter-Strike.

If he gets charged or engaged by the model trigerring the Counter-Strike, then he can Counter-Strike that model.
08-24-2014 02:22 AM

Grimnir Offline

Now everything is clear
Thanks
08-24-2014 09:05 AM

Arbassos Offline

Add. questions;
Syntarch is charged by 4 Skulleaters(SR 1) and counersrikes one of them. Then he is doing charge movement and leave reach 3 of Skulleaters.
a) As I understand the Syntarch(SR1+1=2) does not get free strikes from 3 Skulleaters ??
b) Can Syntarch do slay move after succesful counetstrike (kill enemy?)
c) Can Syntarch do few conterstrikes this same round (of course next time any enemy model launch syntarch counterstrike)
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 07:47 PM by Arbassos.)