Maldire Mongels and Plague
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Maldire Mongels and Plague
01-26-2014 12:23 PM
RE: Maldire Mongels and Plague

Mnil Offline

I said that in my example MM attacked Legionnaire AFTER Legionnaire's activation, so at the start of next L will need to pass knock-down test when he is already knocked down, but ok, doesn't metter...

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2014 01:43 PM

Zeria Offline

I know what you are saying mnil and while knockdown doesn't seem to stack as well as say a plague that does straight damage. I will say that while if your already knockdown from catching that plague during the attack then get knockdown again at the start there is no extra benefit, but if you failed to be knocked down during the attack it does give that extra chance to knockdown after all passing twice a roll that needs a five up is a lot less likely. For certain opponents being knocked down is a huge annoyance but against some it is better to go for something a bit more direct. So it's really a situational plague but when it pays off it pays off big.

"So you want to save Prince Albert and decide the fate of hong kong, by playing a game of cricket agaisnt Fu-man-chu?....hand me another beer and i will see what i can do"
01-26-2014 11:52 PM

Khazrak Offline

As far as I understand it, none of the continuous effects (in this case plagues) stack with themselves. So, neither the knock-down-plague (Black Plague) nor the direct damage plague (Bubonic Plague). Once your are infected, you make a normal expiry test at the beginning of your next activation or keep on suffering the effects.

And Mnil, I didn't misunderstand you, I really knew what you meant, but I wanted to explain the point, that said legionnaire is STILL infected and has to test each turn or gets knocked down again.

So:

- he might get infected on turn 2
- tests for the plague in his turn 3 --> fails the test
- spends 1 ACT to stand up and can do other stuff (but not charge)
- has to test in his turn 4 again and might get knocked down again
- has to spend 1 ACT again to stand up

So, you might not get the full benefit in the turn after being knocked down but it's still a mighty benefit in itself, because being knocked down is not a good way to fight. Smile
01-27-2014 03:15 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Okay so the Legionnaire is knocked down after his activation, suffers -2 DEF, and loses Testudo.

While knocked down, you use your next attacks by Mongrels to cause serious damage, or attack legionnaires with other models.

Legionnaires activate next round and must take an expiry test.
A) failed - they remain knocked so Player wasted one ACT to stand up
B) passed - the affected model stands up and anyway can only make one attack this turn because the entire unit spent one ACt for the affected guys to stand up. Plus they cannot Charge.

In such a case it is important to hit the Legionnaires with attacks immediately after you knock them down to get Maximum benefit from the plague.

Against high-DEF guys like warlords and models with deadly tactics, this plague is very useful.
01-28-2014 07:21 PM

Khazrak Offline

@David: Are you sure about A ?

Because I thought, expiry tests are made at the beginning of the activation before ACT could have been spent to stand up. No matter how the expiry test results, the Legionnaires can stand up and act at reduced effectiveness.
01-28-2014 10:46 PM

Mnil Offline

does it change anything compare to David example?

[Image: polanduserbar.png]
01-29-2014 01:06 AM

David Offline
Administrator

(01-28-2014 07:21 PM)Khazrak Wrote:  @David: Are you sure about A ?

Because I thought, expiry tests are made at the beginning of the activation before ACT could have been spent to stand up. No matter how the expiry test results, the Legionnaires can stand up and act at reduced effectiveness.

Sorry I should be more clear.
Expiry test is taken at the start of the turn and some of the affected Legionnaires fail it. Therefore they remain knocked down. The Player then stands them up during his activation, which wastes one ACT, and of course the unit cannot now declare charges.

So even in the worst case when the enemy passes the expiry, and you did not get a Chance to butcher them on the ground, you still get some cool advantages from the plague.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 01:07 AM by David.)
01-29-2014 08:01 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Hey Khazrak,

I get your point and yes, there is no big difference between passing the expiry role or not, in both cases the model is knocked down. The small but important issue is, that the models who fail their test still have the plague! So they have to test again at the start of their next activation. And if only one fails, the whole unit loses 1 ACT and cannot charge anymore. And most likely your opponent wastes some more ACT to have a better chance to pass (and still fails most of the time, that is at least my experience...Undecided ).

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 08:01 AM by Simon.)
01-29-2014 09:41 AM

Khazrak Offline

@Simon: Yes, that's what I wanted to point out some posts back - just to show that even without doing something else when the enemy model is already knocked down, the plague is still good because it still brings advantages. Smile
06-19-2014 02:57 PM

crimsontree Offline

If a Mongrel hits & the target passes his Affliction test, does the target need to make another Affliction test the next time he is hit by the Mongrel and every time he is hit by the Mongrel (until he fails the Affliction test)?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply