300 pts. Fiannor Heavy
Megalith Games - Official Forums

300 pts. Fiannor Heavy
04-16-2014 02:01 PM
RE: 300 pts. Fiannor Heavy

Huscarl Offline

So, every army except the Trogs is present.
I guess, it`s worth trying it, but you have to be very careful in your decisions.

I just see some mismatches, like I said before (but you should simply play some more games, to see, if you like that combination or not; personally, I like to have some elite units in 300 pts games).
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2014 10:41 PM

David Offline
Administrator

It's a really interesting list, and requires some skillful play for success. I mean there are simpler options for Wyldfolk warbands like taking some Cromlech Guard and a Bard to get a nice Long-Charge with your Heavy Infantry :-)

However, the essence of Wyldfolk is the interdependence and synergy of all models.

We created each faction so that all of them have a degree of synergy-building, and some subfactions are stronger in that than others. for example Trolloth are probably the least synergistic and simplest models to use, while all Halodynes models have a lot of synergies availabe when the warband includes Magic. Wyldfolk are in my opinion at the extreme end, and one of the most challenging factions to play.

Of course we also made it possible to play straight melee-smasher warbands for all faction (as I mentioned with the Cromlech Guard), but the true essence of Wyldfolk is its synergistic style, and this warband captures that.

With most factions I try to use plenty of models with the warlord's subfaction but with wyldfolk I don't bother, because with this faction, diversity is power.

My only change would be to try and get in a second Beast-Hunter. I think against fast Banebrood it will have good chances, but against a super-heavy Legions or Einherjer warband, they won't have the muscle to crack the enemy. For that reason I would swap out the second Druid (or insist on playing 350 points :-) )

So my point is, you will probably lose plenty of battles before you start to win, but once you get the hang of this warband and Wyldfolk in General, it becomes really satisfying. "I love it when a plan Comes together" :-)

As a General note, Bladeslingers are AWESOME. I suspect many Wyldfolk players have not yet learned how to get the most out of them. These guys fall like corn at harvest if not used correctly, but they can be super annoying and effective melee troops when used correctly. But that should be the subject of a separate post.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 10:41 PM by David.)
04-17-2014 10:32 AM

Huscarl Offline

Quote:As a General note, Bladeslingers are AWESOME. I suspect many Wyldfolk players have not yet learned how to get the most out of them. These guys fall like corn at harvest if not used correctly, but they can be super annoying and effective melee troops when used correctly. But that should be the subject of a separate post.

Yes, you could be right about the use of Bladeslingers.
To discuss this a little further, I have mad an extra thread: http://forums.megalith-games.com/showthr...05#pid8305
05-03-2014 06:57 PM

TEFFH Offline

Thanks for the tips about "sight blocking". I tweaked my list slightly (dropping volley arrow for spirit arrow, and only going for basic sword to give my second druid thornwall seeds).
I fought banebrood for the first time this week (box set + 2nd pestbringer & full unit of Guthackers), and my can they shift!
Spirit arrows - very useful, as turn 2 the Gorelord charged into my Bladeslingers (who were 1-2" too far forwards - oops), who then got shot up by the Farfarer using hailshot & spirit arrows (took some pot shots at some guthackers on the otherside of a wood too). The Farfarer is by far the most dangerous piece on the table (esp when buffed and rocking 10 Act on a turn), and I am still not completely sure about the beasthunter (missed the target almost as much as he hit, but I haven't really faced any creatures yet...)
Anywho, long story short - I lost 5 bladeslingers and the bard, and we called the game when there was only one pestbringer and one guthacker left (both with only a few boxes of life left)
05-03-2014 10:34 PM

David Offline
Administrator

You did well against Banebrood with this warband because they are really fast and even un-buffed Mongrels can easily kill squishy Wyldfolk like Bladeslingers.
Would be great to see how it fares against Einherjer or Legions warbands.