350 points Mortan Magistratum
Megalith Games - Official Forums

11-18-2013 09:54 PM

Huscarl Offline

Just for fun, here a 350-points-list of the mortan Magistratum (maybe a little unconventional):
1x Mortifex with Reinforced Segmentum, Deathsand Hourglass,
Infernatus, Fleshbind, Otherworld Breach, Imperial Blessing and
Foul Wind ... 68 P.
1x Necromagus with Fleshbind and Raise Legionnaire ... 31 P.
1x 10 Legio Mortum ... 62 P.
3x Moloch ... 156 P.
1x Scorpio ... 32 P.

The three Molochs (thanks to the Deathsand Hourglass) build my sledgehammer, very tough thanks to their sub-faction ability and the Fleshbind spell. And because of the various abilities of the Molochs and my spells, they should also have some serious output.
The Legio Mortum is primarily here to give me some more mass and to allow my spellcasters to channel their spells from a certain distance.
At last, I wanted to add some firepower to my little warband and took a Scorpio to weaken the enemy elite troops prior to the engagement.

So, what do you think?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2013 11:22 PM
RE: 350 points Mortan Magistratum

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Well, this is certainly an interesting list.
I never used a Warband that heavy on Molochs, but this could work really well. But you should beware of enemy warbands with really fast models or a lot of small elite units like Sons of War, Cromlech Guard and the like. If your Molochs go on a rampage and all get engaged and there is no quality unit to protect your casters and warmachine, a small heavy hitting unit slipping through could prove devastating.
However, this seems like the sort of warband which has to be played to get an idea of the ups and downs. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
11-19-2013 12:35 AM

Khazrak Offline

Einherjar would have fun with this list. Tongue
11-19-2013 09:17 AM

Huscarl Offline

Yeah, you two are right, especially such monster-bane troops, like the Einherjer, could massacre this warband.
Maybe I should take instead of one Moloch and the Scorpio an additional anvil, like the Legionnaires?
1x Mortifex with Reinforced Segmentum, Staffblade, Fleshbind, Otherworld Breach, Imperial Blessing and Foul Wind ... 61 P.
1x 7 Legionnaires ... 90 P.
1x 10 Legio Mortum ... 62 P.
2x Moloch ... 104 P.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 09:18 AM by Huscarl.)
11-19-2013 09:57 AM

David Offline
Administrator

I would change the Scorpio and drop the Reinforced Segmentum (he does not need it because he should never come into melee).
With the 41 Points you can buy 6 Legio Mortum.

If any enemy does get through your front line, you have the bodyguard to unit of 6 Legio Mortum to use as a shield. Four of them should be placed in front of the spell-casters and 2 behind. If the Mortifex becomes engaged, swap him with the unengaged Legio Mortum models in the rear using his Bodyguard tactic.

Also take the spell Transmortis to cast on the Molochs. Damage they receive can be transferred to legio Mortum (who heal it back at the end of each round with their Invulnerable ability.

That way you:
Get more numbers in your warband
Can better protect your spellcasters
Get to keep your 3 super-killer Molochs
Capability to make the Molochs "immortal"

If you face Einherjer, then just throw the Legio Mortum at them. then Keep the unit topped up. They will spend turns 3, 4 and 5 killing low-points models.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 09:58 AM by David.)
11-19-2013 10:42 AM

Huscarl Offline

Doesn`t sound bad, thanks David!
The idea of the Reinforced Segmentum was to make my warlord a bit more resilient against enemy troops with good manoevreability and good output (for example Scabhta Hunters who use the Dugout ability of the Pendragon and shoot at my Mortifex or some fast-moving Banebrood Beastspawn). But maybe I drop one model of the big unit of the Legio Mortum and get instead the Cavrum Syrup to give the Mortifex a longer lifespan.
So, including your tips, I come to this list:
1x Mortifex with Cavrum Syrup, Infernatus, Deathsand Hourglass, Fleshbind, Otherworld Breach, Transmortis and Foul Wind ... 68 P.
1x 9 Legio Mortum ... 56 P.
1x 6 Legio Mortum ... 38 P.
3x Moloch ... 156 P.

Maybe I will change Foul Wind to Raise Legionnaire, not so sure about that.

The list will need certainly some careful movement with my two spellcasters, which are vital to my undead troops, but on the other hand it´s certainly something different from the usual mortan lists. Wink
11-19-2013 12:22 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

It is interesting to see different perspectives on such lists. I for one would keep the Scorpio, but then again I'm a big fan of these warmachines... Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
11-19-2013 03:00 PM

Huscarl Offline

Well, I´m normally also a fan of the Scorpio.
But to include a Scorpio I had to drop one Moloch, and with this list I wanted to test if a monster-heavy mortan list could also work. Smile
11-19-2013 03:48 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Maybe try the spell ancestral rites. Since the ancestral powers really (REALLY) boost your undead a lot, it is always worth at least one or two thoughts. And since undead are pretty slow by nature you will have plenty of time to sacrifice some virgins (e.g. cast your spell Wink) until your enemy is near. Here scorpios and / or catapults are pretty helpful to lure the opponent closer and hinder his advance... hmmm, so many possibilities...

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
11-19-2013 07:06 PM

Khazrak Offline

(11-19-2013 09:57 AM)David Wrote:  If you face Einherjer, then just throw the Legio Mortum at them. then Keep the unit topped up. They will spend turns 3, 4 and 5 killing low-points models.

How could he keep the troops topped up? Even if the Legio Mortum chooses to stay and fight (which is unlikely due to LEAD 4 vs. the Einherjers' "Dreaded" ability), it dies really really fast due to the high MEL and POW.
Except of course, I misunderstood or forget something.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2013 07:07 PM by Khazrak.)