What made you decide what faction to choose?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

10-31-2013 05:17 PM

Grauenacht Offline

I love history and mythology, from pre-ww2 era on western civilization I like vikings and norse mythology the most. So consequentially my choice for Nordgaard was not difficult to make. I am curious why you choose your faction(s), if I ever start a second, I will buy Mortans.
Strategically the Nordgaard are IMHO very challenging, allthough LEAD tests are no problem most of the times, their lack of movement hampers them a lot. I hope we will see more viking based models in the future so I can make an all viking warband.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2013 05:32 PM
RE: What made you decide what faction to choose?

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

I almost always choose my tabletop armies firstly based on the fluff. Because, yeah, well, that's just like, uhm, the way I roll... Smile

Then again, after my initial choices, I tend to stick to those factions whose style of play I enjoy the most.
Luckily, in Godslayer I love the style of play of my fluff-based favourites, the Trogs and the Mortans. And their rather different styles of play each work fine for me. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2013 06:26 PM

joysan Offline

i love the mortans background and models but i would like to do something else then a human race, and by another game, i already i have a skeleton undead army and so... i searched something difefrent, so i seen the halodynes but i don't know... i don't know, greece mythos are fun but a greece themed army is not for me XD, passing to the wyldfolk, well they are very nice and i like a lot their models but also here, in the past i already playe d a celtic barbarian army and so... no wyldfolk XD... the banebrood, sadly i couldn't play a mono ursapine army XD spiked rolling ball moving on the battlegrpund!! waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa XD but i could not... the nordgaard... i love dwarf, i taken some as collection, sadly i don't like too much half of the nordgaard dwarf models... and so we come to the troglodytes...and here the shadow-troll faction hit my heart Tongue shadow elemental incarnate to bring balance in the world1 i like that! not the usual specter waiting the mortals in the darkness... because the darkness for the shadowtroll are Dangerous like the extreme light! and i like this concept (or i hope to have well understood the meaning XD)!
11-01-2013 11:54 AM

Aisriyth Offline

Have access to Halodynes and Troglodytes not sure what will end up being my main yet. Waiting to see how the spread of players pans out.

That being said, always liked Greeks so thats why Halodynes interested me and love the semi persian, shadow elemental spin of trogs!
11-01-2013 01:24 PM

Khazrak Offline

Nordgaard were a no-brainer for me as I am a Dwarven fan for a long time now, although these dwarves here set me a bit off in contrast to the Mortans, which are more like the dwarves I used to know from other gaming systems and universes. Smile
However, I really like their reliability as Nordgaard are in my eyes quite a independent faction, where at least the dwarven subfaction units can act on their own and don't have to rely that much on synergy effect stacking.

On the other hand, the Banebrood are quite the contrary: when played right, they work excellently together, are fast as f*** Tongue and quite literally a force of natural destruction. However they have to work together very good to achieve this and so need careful planning and strategy. If everything works, you can work precise like a chirurgeon with the power of a sledgehammer! Smile

So, altogether I like th
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 01:25 PM by Khazrak.)
11-01-2013 11:45 PM

David Offline
Administrator

I love playing every faction and subfaction, and its really hard to pick favorites.

Favorite Background - Wyldfolk. I love the concept of the Tuathan and resurrecting the dead goddess. Having Celtic Background myself, I can really identify with the Wyldfolk.

Favorite design and models - I think Halodynes. That's simply because I love Greek armor, from Trojan to Alexandrian.

Favoite warbands from play-style & rules -
Banebrood - Like Khazrak said, they Need some careful preparation to get the most out of them, but they then are incredibly fast and vicious, exactly like their Background, even the basic Mongrels. Plus I love playing the Cyclops, with his 33 lifepoints and ability to regenerate 3 LPs for 1 ACT. Perhaps its because I used to Play an army called "Chaos" in some other game I forgot the Name of. :-)
Eating Alive a 100-point warlord with a few Reaver Tribesmen has to be one of the coolest things to do in the game :-)
And then there's the plagues, which are so much fun to use.....

Gnolls - Hee, hee, hee. Turning up to a 300-point battle with around 40 Reaver Runts, 2 Packlashers and a Filthling is hilarious and horribly sneaky, especially when the opponent has like 10 models in his warband. The look on the opponent's face as you deploy your horde is priceless.

Wyldfolk in General - I love playing this faction because it is really challenging and requires (in my opinion) the most strategic synergy. But when you pull it off, its awesome. Favorites - every single model, because they all have cool tactics and uses which are not immediately obvious.

Mortan Technostratum - Oh man, I have both played them and played against them, and I have to say, playing against 3 Scorpios and a catapult led by Libarum Technocrat is terrifying. Everywhere are marker-stones to avoid, and the damn tar-pit, while all the time death is raining down with fire and acid as you try to cross the battlefield to get to grips with the enemy. And you dont dare slow down to spend ACT on extinguishing the fire and acid effects because you then leave yourself open for more shooting...so you run and hope your models don't all fall over dead. Okay...its a bit more balanced than that, but that's how it feels to be on the receiving end of a Technostratum firing line.

Trolloth - Because sometimes simple, brutal, hardcore melee is what I want to see.

Skannfyrd - A really well-rounded force of reliable, mediumly-good troops plus the Psycho Scarjarl (maybe the warlord with the shortest life-expectancy but causing the most carnage per game). Then there's some really fun stuff like the Chainslayers and Fjellgangrs. Never leave your Steading without 2 of each!
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 11:54 PM by David.)
11-05-2013 12:20 PM

Necrotix Offline

I won a blog competition and got sent the Troglodytes as my prize. I then backed the kickstarter to get the rules and a second starter (Halodynes). After reading through everything it just solidified that I'd be using the Trogs.
11-05-2013 07:47 PM

spy Offline

I like Mortans and Halodynes.

Mostly because I am fascinated by Greek and Roman Mythology.
And I like Movies who are set in this timeline like Gladiator and 300.

I am planning to max out a Mortan Legionnaire Army so I may "re-enact" the battle at the beginning of the Gladiator Movie.
Some Mortan Cavalry would be nice... ;-)

And a Halodyne army so I may play "300". Ok. It will be more like "25" or "30" and I will definitely need some Elephants, Giants and some other stuff as enemies. ^^

So you see I always pick an army because of style or background and not because of stats.

Actually after some playtesting with my friends we found out that all the starter boxes at least are well balanced. Maybe the Nordgaard are slightly better than the rest but hey, it's a die game.
We will see after a few dozen more games if statistics will stay this way...

In the Games Club I play frequently the faction most often played are Halodynes (3x against 1x all other factions).
Because "they just look great on an ancient battlefield" as a friend said.
11-05-2013 09:29 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

(11-05-2013 07:47 PM)spy Wrote:  And a Halodyne army so I may play "300".

Oh man, you will love the Sons of War Wink

And in the second wave there will be another elite unit, the Sacred Band Hoplites...

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
11-05-2013 09:39 PM

Ibanezmark Offline

Actually the fallow Shaman made me choose the banebrood.

Looking through the art I also love the sons of war and the forrestpeople with the scythes (don't have their names present now Tongue)

Edit: the thuathan
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 09:41 PM by Ibanezmark.)