Diary of a Dauntless Dwarf
Megalith Games - Official Forums

09-28-2013 09:52 AM

HowNotToWargame Offline

Hi everyone,

I missed the kick starter, but was looking a while back at a unit by unit activation game such as this one, and immediately were drawn to Nordgaard. What's better than Norse armies and dwarf armies? Norse Dwarf armies!

So I have finally taken the plunge and got the rules, box set, some additional warriors, and the fellgangr being delivered to me. Hope to get some games in by the end of October.

Hence I hope this thread will become a mixture of my play diary and general tactical musings, and I hope you reading this can lob in some thoughts and your experiences as well.

Here is to drinking over the corpses of our enemies Wink

@hownottowargame
If you live in london, come and join us at Tanelorn - http://www.tanelornwgc.org
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 09:55 AM by HowNotToWargame.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2013 10:15 AM
RE: Diary of a Dauntless Dwarf

Fenris Offline

Hi,

I'm pretty sure you'll not regret starting Godslayer. It is an awesome game.

Looking forward to reading some of your posts.

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
09-29-2013 12:15 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Welcome!
Nordgaard is a faction mixing Norse Dwarves, Viking style humans, giants and viking-style Ogres with giant wolves. What could be better than that?

Nice strategic diversity and cool looking warband when assembled together.

Please keep us updated on your developing warband and your impressions as you take your first steps into Godslayer. Its really intersting to get Feedback so that we can constantly improve future products.
10-20-2013 12:39 PM

HowNotToWargame Offline

Hi All,

First game with my Nordguaard is later on today. Either 2 player 200pts or a 3-way 150pts game. My time have been totally stretched recently with job hunting and everything else so I've only just about digested the quick start rules, and the first couple of pages of the background book.

Hope to do a write up later on today/later this week to tell you how I got on. However, a couple of high-level points on what my initial tactical thoughts are.

* I'm probably going to take the most expensive hammer for the War smith. It being only ACT 2 to use seems priceless to me, especially if it allows shatter-attack-attack, or even shatter-move-move-attack (if he keeps all of his actions for himself). Everything else is probably going to be dependent on what size game I end up playing.

* General idea is to 'turtle' with the Fjell Warriors pushing up quickly to set up a high-line for the Warsmith and the Fjell Gangr to then burst through and say hello to the enemy as the warriors die. I hope to keep the Brewer alive as much as I can but he may need to be sacrificed as a road block as well.

* I plan to keep my buffing pretty simple to start, ie all of the defensive ones or all of the offensive ones each turn, and see if I can pick up what I should change when and where.

Wish me luck! Seriously, should be a decent giggle either way.

@hownottowargame
If you live in london, come and join us at Tanelorn - http://www.tanelornwgc.org
10-20-2013 10:12 PM

HowNotToWargame Offline

Had two great games today down at my local club (tanelorn) against Des, who is our resident expert on God Slayer. He was using Annyr, which I think he used to help me as its a bad match up against the amount of armour I was able to hide behind! Des was a great guide, and I felt that I really got into the swing of things by the end.

We played 200pts. Des brought:-
Farfarer - so much stuff I've basically forgot!
2 x Grove Druids (one had flurry of leaves and transfer monument, the other had Fury of Mabhdus and Caendra's Carress)
Stormbow Beast Hunter
Ogham Megalith

I brought:-
War smith - Grim Hammer, Beserker Brew, Runeplate
Brewer
Fjell Warriors (6)
Fjellgangr

First Game:
I managed to get my defensive buffs up on the warriors, but sold my Giant cheaply to the Beast Hunter by turn two. However, the Grim Hammer toting War Smith managed to clear out the Megalith and a Druid in one Turn, which swung the balance in my favour.

The Farfarer brutalised me throughout with his second shot ability and fury of mabhdus. Combined with the megalith storing ACT early on, lead him to unleash what felt like a kill frenzy when he took out 3 Warriors in one turn. What really took me back was that even though I was really slow, I could still get over and get into combat, as the action system meant Des had to think about whether he wanted to move back or gain the second shot. Due to the armour, and the Direct damage each shot could do, it was his tactical advantage to try and pick off the warriors through number of shots.

However, I managed to get the Warriors into combat with the remains of his army, and just about got a victory. As Des pointed out, once his Beast Hunter and Farfarer were taken out, there was little punch to his list as everything else was support.

Second Game
This time I managed to get the Gangr into both the Bow Hunter and the Farfarer at the same time, which alongside Des fluffing his counter attacks, meant that they were pinned in place for the Warriors to come in and smack them afterwards. Farfarer managed to escape, and shot my poor brewer who was standing on hill, but yet again fluffed his dice to wound. Des then managed to headshot (or as he put it 'Beard shot') my Warriors down to one, but then went a whole round where his dice totally fluffed. Can you tell that Des' dice were not with him? It ended up the War Smith getting up to 10 MEL to wack the Farfarer, and the Brewer getting drunk and disorderly on the Beast Hunter.

So, what did I learn?

* The Warsmith having the 2 ACT Hammer was worth the points. I didn't really have to use for shatter due to the poor armour of Annyr units, but it was really effective against the megalith as the only high armour unit in his army.

* The plus one for activation priority, and the ability to forfeit an activation until later due to having less cards was really great in my view. It also add a with having bigger units getting buffed to get the most out of brew/abilities/tactics.

* I hadn't realised how powerful +1 and +2 to stats were in the game before today. It it really the main way of affecting your probabilities, so when I was getting my Warriors up to DEF 14 with Shield Wall, and Hardneck Mead, you truly felt you were buffing away, especially with such larger, cheaper unit.

* On the flipside, Shatter and Eartbound were not so important, but I think that was due to the match up with low armoured, self buffing spell slingers.

* The Brewer is actually able to hold his own in combat far more than I expected, when the Warriors were depleted, he was a good target for Warsmith Buffs.

*Embolden was really important for me. That extra 2" meant the difference between reaching the Hunter and the Farfarer on several occasions during the games.

In short, can't wait to get some more games in next week! Just to repeat my thanks to Des for being great today

@hownottowargame
10-21-2013 04:16 PM

Banenoun Offline

Great reports, just how I remember it.

One correction, so people don't howl at me for cheating, druids had fury of mabdus and transfer monument, and the other the caress and flurry of leaves.

I will be putting our game up on YT soon, but be warned, though we felt it was quick we were playing for over 1.5 hours!
10-21-2013 10:11 PM

HowNotToWargame Offline

Ah thanks Des - shows how much I spent going, "this model does what!?!"... Smile

YT Linky: http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=c4-fe...oTkUt6TyOg

Des (Banenoun) managed to cut it down to 45 mins with some lovely editing. I'm on the left going 'erm' a lot. Des is on the right.

@hownottowargame
10-21-2013 10:23 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Great! Thanks for sharing, guys! Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
10-28-2013 12:55 PM

HowNotToWargame Offline

Hi Everyone,

I managed to get another series of games in yesterday, this time against Phil down at Tanlorn and his Troglodytes. We played battle box and then got up to around 190ish

Phil brought:
Chieftain
Ironhide brutes (min for battlebox then max for 190)
Feral Hammerfist

I brought:
Warsmith
Brewer
Fjell Warriors:+2
Fjellgangr (190 only)

Points I learnt:

* I need to read cards more carefully! We played a couple of games where I thought the Chieftain had the same abilities as the the shadow trolls when it came to halving damage, when it was halving DIRECT damage. This meant a couple of our games the Chieftain was a total avatar of destruction! The games where we didn't have this were really close, coming down to the final few models.

* Saying that, Phil took the mace of two attacks for 3 ACT, which with giving himself slay movement was pretty horrible. One turn it allowed the Chieftain to kill 4 Fjell Warriors for 3 ACT! Great rolling, but the melee potential against lower models was immense.

* The ignoring of shields by the Trog maces was a really pain. It really meant that I couldn't grind them down like other opponents, but I learnt towards the end that I had to make them waste actions moving to me, and trying to rush them with 3 fjell warriors per Iron Brute.

* I flipped between the amulet of D3 heal, and the boots of ignoring terrain and long charge on my Warsmith. The only thing I kept constant was the Grimhammer again. I think in this game the D3 heal was great, but the boots have loads of potential against enemies which ignore terrain themselves, or in bigger games where getting the jump on someone with a strength 7 hammer may be a bonus!

* As predicted, Shatter was AWESOME against more armour heavy opponents, especially the -2 on DMG. This really hamstrung Phil's Ironbrutes at times, especially if the Fjell had Guarding Draft and Shieldwall up. It set up in the last game a pretty decent attack run where I put down three of them when I then got skilled strike as well. Grindstone was good, but was a second option after Shatter was up.

* Brewer was a beast on several turns, especially when he got the extra act from the Warsmith to charge/attack/attack when his defensive buffs were not needed so much. Really good late game ability.

* I feel after a few games that I now have the core mechanics down pat, and can concentrate on tactics/strategy in the games. Always a good point, and first time since I started playing Epic:A, which to me is a really good sign Big Grin

Looking forward to any comments people have!

@hownottowargame
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 01:01 PM by HowNotToWargame.)
10-28-2013 04:56 PM

Khazrak Offline

(10-28-2013 12:55 PM)HowNotToWargame Wrote:  * Saying that, Phil took the mace of two attacks for 3 ACT, which with giving himself slay movement was pretty horrible. One turn it allowed the Chieftain to kill 4 Fjell Warriors for 3 ACT! Great rolling, but the melee potential against lower models was immense.

Which weapon caused this? Because even with Slay Movement, it shouldn't be possible to kill 4 Dwarves with 3 ACT.

Charge Attack --> 1 dead
Slay Movement --> another one dead
Over.

Or was it the Chain Whips? They may make melee attacks against all models in melee range but even with the charge bonus, it's only POW4 which is highly unlikely to kill 4 Fjell Warriors.

I guess, you misunderstood the double attacks from weapon pairs! Remember, that each double attack with these weapons is only 1 action and so may only be targeted at 1 model. So, both attacks kill the first model, then he gets his slay movement attack to kill the second one. Now, he might have enough ACT left to kill 1 more, but that's it then.

Or did you make Slay Movement for all kills after the initial one?

And what do you mean with giving himself slay movement? The chieftain is a single model and so always profits from the slay movement rule, when he manages to kill a model with his charge attack.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 04:57 PM by Khazrak.)