End of the Wheel
Megalith Games - Official Forums

End of the Wheel
08-24-2013 07:00 AM
End of the Wheel

tmastgrave Offline

I haven't spent a lot of time with the Wyldfolk list. I really like the Tuathan sub-faction, but outside of that I'm not that interested in the Wyldfolk. However, I had this thought for a Tuathan inspired list.

Wyldfolk - 300
Lord of Decay
w/ Lifeleecher
w/ Girdle of Mabhdus
w/ Potion of Speed
Ovate Grove Druid
w/ Fennellyn's Fireblast
w/ Omens
Ovate Grove Druid
w/ Air Hammer
w/ Swiftness of Aridhia
Blackwater Banshee
Wycca Warriors x 4
Wycca Warriors x 4

The list has a lot of moving parts, and I'm not actually entirely sure how they all work together yet. I could lose the two Grove Druids for a second Banshee perhaps? Or a stormbow? My plan for the grove druids is to be backfield support. They can either cause problems or they can support the warrior units. The Lord of Decay looks like a beast in combat, he and the two warrior units are the major destructive force in the army and the banshee is my troublemaker unit. I think, if I was to expand the army, I'd fill out the two units of Wycca Warriors. Thoughts?

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013 08:09 PM
RE: End of the Wheel

David Offline
Administrator

Well there's multiple ways you can go with the Tuathan. Overall, I would say the Wyldfolk was the most diverse and synergistic of all factions, but requires the greatest skill to coordinate all the parts effectively.

As a melee warband this looks solid, and they can even do well against high-ARM foes because of the Wycca Warriors Soul Harvest tactic (giving them MAG attacks), so no pressing need for a Beasthunter.

I believe though that for a melee warband like this, I would drop one of the Druids (and 2 spells) and try to squeeze in 2 extra Wycca Warriors (32 points).

When taking a Druid in a Tuathan warband I would ALWAYS take the spell Leyline Flare, which give a model/unit +2 MAG! Awesome for the Wycca Warriors attacks!

Another option you could go with is the more "Magicky" direction; then I would take the two Druids, and of course at leass one of them equipped with Leyline Flare.
This can then be used to also boost the MAG of the Lord of Decay for his Mass Grave tactic (MAG attack against all models in a 3AOE template for knockdown). Also good for buffing the Banshee's Soul Screech attack.

With the Magicky warband I would also ALWAYS take an Ogham Megalith. In this you can store up to 4 ACT, which the Lord of Decay can tap (2 per turn). In this way, you can power the Lord of Decay up with 2 ACT from the Megalith, 1 ACT from the Banshee's Mortodyn, plus maybe 1 ACT from the Vigor of Dhannya subfaction ability, giving him a potential of 10 ACT!
And what should he do with all those ACT?
Answer: Aura of Decomposing.
Cast Leyline Flare on him by a Druid, and then run him into the middle of a bunch of enemies then activate this combo. Then he will be making a MAG8, POW10 attack against all enemy models within 2 inches. Or make 2 attacks at POW5!
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013 08:23 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Or 10 attacks at POW 1 Wink But only if you don't need to move before... But in any case he can do a nice amount of devastation.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2013 08:26 PM by Simon.)
08-26-2013 08:45 PM

tmastgrave Offline

Thanks for the advice. I really like the idea behind the magicky warband, but I kind of feel like it puts too much emphasis on the warlord. It certainly makes him extremely powerful, but if the Lord of Decay bites it for some reason, then it doesn't leave a whole lot to fall back on.
Leyline flare is great though. I hadn't even thought about using it to enhance the Tuathan warriors, but that's a great idea.
I might drop one druid and fill out the Wycca Warriors and then give the other druid Omens and Leyline Flare. Let the druid act as a boost to either the warriors or the lord of decay, and use the Banshee as a troublemaker.

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013 11:43 PM

David Offline
Administrator

You're absolutely right - with the magicky Tuathan Warband (LOD, Banshee, Megalith & Druids) the entire plan falls apart if your warlord is killed. And seasoned players who see this model combination will certainly be wary of this combo and therefore target your Lord of Decay.

Regarding your plan, adding two Wycca Warriors to the warband will certainly give it more bite.

But beware - the Wycca Warriors are excellent offensive troops but not particularly tough. So if you were to take 350 points, I would get a Bard (to give them long charge with his victory march Song), plus a small unit of Bladeslingers.
08-27-2013 12:25 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Together with a lord of decay the wyccas can get extremely tough (if you make the right rolls though)! Since their resilient ability is improved to 4+ they can take a lot of punishment. I remember several games against them where they just refused to die for several rounds, driving me nearly (maybe beyond...) mad....

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 08:08 AM by Simon.)