Hammer and Anvil
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Hammer and Anvil
08-24-2013 06:34 AM
Hammer and Anvil

tmastgrave Offline

I'm not entirely happy with this list, but I think it's pretty solid.

Mortans - 297
Centurion
w/ Imperial Platemail
w/ Meteoric Spathe
w/ Reinforced Scutum
w/ Elixir of Life
Princeptor
Necromagus
w/ Ashes to Ashes
w/ Decay
w/ Foul Wind
Legionnaires x 6
Carnifexer x 3

The Princeptor and Carnifexers in this list act as a hammer to the Legionnaires anvil. The hammer should be able to do a lot of damage in one turn. The anvil supported by the Centurion and his tactics should be able to last while the hammer smashes through. The Necromagus is my troublemaker in this army. He pretty much exists to run around on his own and cause problems. Maybe take out a few troopers, but mostly just divert opposing models to deal with him. I'm not really sure what I'd add if I was going to expand the list. Possibly a warmachine or a Moloch, but maybe another unit of legionnaires. Thoughts?

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013 07:09 PM
RE: Hammer and Anvil

David Offline
Administrator

The "anvil" is perfect.
The Legionnaires in Testudo supported by the Centurion is a perfect formulation and the items you chose are very relevent.

For the "hammer" I would make some adjustment. I dont see the Princeptor as such an offense character; he works best defensively in my opinion, due to his Parry and Riposte.

I would therefore drop the Princeptor and take an extra Carnifexor. This gives you 10 extra points to play with, so with your 13 remaining points you could get another Legionnaire.

Then I would use the Necromagus to support the Carnifexors primarily, He has access to a lot of useful skills which are useful for supporting ALL Mortan warbands, not just undead. For example:

Imperial Blessing - +1 to damage rolls
Souldstone Martyr - gives a unit Defiant in Death

So maybe I would take one or both of those plus one of the 3 spells you listed.
Ashes to Ashes, Decay, or Foul Wind

To expand the Warband I would take a Moloch and a Scorpio.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013 08:48 PM

tmastgrave Offline

Hmmm... I think you're probably right about the Princeptor. I included him mostly because I have him and I like the model. I was under the impression that the Necromagus had to take all three of his spells from the same subgroup, though. Am I wrong about that?

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 08:49 PM by tmastgrave.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013 11:33 PM

David Offline
Administrator

The Princeptor is an ideal character for increasing the defensiveness of the anvil if you have extra points, and he is also useful for taking out spell-casters, engaging missile troops and such. He can be a great annoyance.

You are right about the Necromagis, his spells much come from oen lore. So I would generally opt for Imperial Blessing & Soulstone Martyr from Magistratic studies spellset to support the warband.

In a more magicky warband I would go with the offensive spells to devastate the enemy.
09-03-2014 09:12 AM

crimsontree Offline

(08-25-2013 07:09 PM)David Wrote:  The "anvil" is perfect.
The Legionnaires in Testudo supported by the Centurion is a perfect formulation and the items you chose are very relevent.

For the "hammer" I would make some adjustment. I dont see the Princeptor as such an offense character; he works best defensively in my opinion, due to his Parry and Riposte.

I would therefore drop the Princeptor and take an extra Carnifexor. This gives you 10 extra points to play with, so with your 13 remaining points you could get another Legionnaire.

Then I would use the Necromagus to support the Carnifexors primarily, He has access to a lot of useful skills which are useful for supporting ALL Mortan warbands, not just undead. For example:

Imperial Blessing - +1 to damage rolls
Souldstone Martyr - gives a unit Defiant in Death

So maybe I would take one or both of those plus one of the 3 spells you listed.
Ashes to Ashes, Decay, or Foul Wind

To expand the Warband I would take a Moloch and a Scorpio.

Is it possible for the Necromagus to combine spells from different spell sets? I thought his rules stated: 3 spells (one Necromantic Studies spell set).
09-04-2014 11:09 AM

Markgrafgero Offline

David did already changed his opinion one post about yours. One lore only.
09-04-2014 01:39 PM

crimsontree Offline

(09-04-2014 11:09 AM)Markgrafgero Wrote:  David did already changed his opinion one post about yours. One lore only.

Thanks. I missed those comments before. Smile