The Oncoming Hoarde
Megalith Games - Official Forums

The Oncoming Hoarde
08-24-2013 06:16 AM
The Oncoming Hoarde

tmastgrave Offline

Alright, this is a list that I'm working on.

Banebrood 298 pts
Gorelord
w/ Helm of Despair
w/ Blades of Minaxos
w/ Disruption Totem
Fallow Shaman
w/ Bulging Biceps
w/ Exoskeleton
Pestbringer
w/ Bubonic Plague
w/ Heartkill Plague
6 Maldire Mongrels
3 Fomorian Gut-Hackers

The Gut-Hackers in this list act as the heavy hitters boosted by the Fallow Shaman's spells and the Gorelord. The Pestbringer and the Mongrels act as trouble-makers weakening enemy units for the heavy hitters. For a 350 pt game I'm thinking that I'd add a Cyclops. In a 300 pt game I might trade out Bubonic Plague for Gutrot plague on the Pestbringer. Any thoughts?

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2013 05:16 PM
RE: The Oncoming Hoarde

David Offline
Administrator

Banebrood 298 pts
Gorelord
w/ Helm of Despair - awesome item. This means one leadership test for Reek, then a normal test for Horror (for most enemy models), meaning the enemy must pass two tests before they can even roll to hit.
w/ Blades of Minaxos - +1 to attack and damage rolls against models in base contact. That's nice, especiall when combined with a charge bonus and Howling MAd tactic used on himself. That's +3 to hit and +3 POW!
w/ Disruption Totem - awesome item which protects him from shooting magic and charges. Worth every point.

Fallow Shaman
w/ Bulging Biceps
w/ Exoskeleton
Both very useful but I would always take one Long Legs spell

Pestbringer
w/ Bubonic Plague
w/ Heartkill Plague

6 Maldire Mongrels
3 Fomorian Gut-Hackers

Overall a nice warband, and a very defensively equipped Warlord. Key to sucess with this warband will be to get your Gorelord stuck in as early as possible and use him to massacre the enemy. That's because you have spent so many points equipping him, he really needs to earn Those points, and he definitely can with such awesome items.

I agree with your choice of Plagues. Gutrot is more useful in larger games with large units.

I would closely support him with the Guthackers.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013 08:55 PM

tmastgrave Offline

Thanks for the thoughts. I can definitely see the usefulness of the Long Legs spell, especially for getting the Gut-hackers stuck in, but at 9 points it was either skip that or reduce some of the equipment I had on the Gorelord. I think bulging biceps and exoskeleton will be a good combination once the Gut-Hackers are in combat. As a pair it makes them harder to hurt and increases their potential damage output. Neither is as useful as long-legs, but they should make a great combination.

Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself. - Kahlil Gibran
If you have a moment consider checking out http://tobiasmastgrave.wordpress.com/
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005AZZZ9G
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2013 09:20 PM

Khazrak Offline

But the Gut-Hackers are those, wo really don't need Bulging Biceps. Save this for the Gorelord or even better the Mongrels.

Also, I have to second David on the Long Legs spell: never leave without it as it gives way too much mobility, even without the Upgrade Mutation spell: for example, it raises your charge range for the Mongrels from 13" to 16" - the Gorelord with upgraded Long Legs charges a whopping 19" (+1" melee range) and so you can get him as early as possible in the melee combat of your choice. And at the costs of your Gorelord, you WANT him whereever he's best suited.
To get the points, I'd drop the Exoskeleton and either buy any cheaper weapon or change the Helmet of Despair for the Gut-Plate of Negirrath, which is also a very nice defensive item. With the loss of Exoskeleton and the equipment change, you have enough points for Long Legs and you can afford the less defense in your other troops because they are far faster where you want them and you can afford to outmaneuver your enemy with intelligent activation orders. (This saved my ass just the other day when my Banebrood faced Halodynes with 2x5 Hill-Ogres + 2x3 Sons of War and an Oracle. I would have survived not a single charge of any of these units but managed to always stay out of their reach, out-activate or out-maneuver them.)
08-26-2013 11:27 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Yeah I guess it comes down to whether you want to capitalize on the Banebroods advantages (speed), or negate their disadvantage (toughness). Both have their merits.

I am used to playing them with speed, but actually I would love to try a hardened Banebrood horde and see how that works out.