Halyodynes Oracle
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Halyodynes Oracle
08-14-2013 06:36 PM
RE: Halyodynes Oracle

Till Offline

Ah ok, that with the attachements is not possible then.

And yes of course shooty is an issue. Fast and shooty even more. One of the reasons I really would like to have a second Cerberus in the list.

Well I do have issues with this healing spell. For 2 ACT I get 4 HP back on a Hill Ogre. But 2 ACT could as well mean 1 Pow3 and 2 Pow2 hits on the enemy models. Usually I made the experiance that its better to use your activations to get rid of enemy models because you can't counterheal the damage output either way. And if he survives an attack with only a few HP and gets way overkilled with the next attack those 4 HP didn't made any difference. And even though its only 9 points per spell its difficult to get into the list.

The first things I could do without would be the Sacrificial Xyele and Amulet of Mist(althought thats really great vs. shooty warbands.). These are only 7 points. OK I could get rid of an Familiar But I like the combination of getting +1 on the casting value from the Familiar and -1 for channeling and a reroll from the statue Aura. Also I would expect those things to die like flies if the enemy warband has even only 1 model that is capable to shoot. OK maybe a third one wouldn't save me then too, so that's an option.

Still healing 3 Hill Ogres for 4 damage each or dealing 3 Pow3 and 6 Pow2 damage rolls to the enemy the damage seems way more tempting. (Of course thats situational vs. ARM 10 models its not that tempting.)

But agreed on the turns where I do spend my ACT to buff the Hill Ogres and sustain/cast the buff spells I may end up with a single ACT on the caster that then would be nice to dump into healing. So if there is a sneaky way to get them in its a good idea.

Maybe I could exchange 2 Familiars and the amulet for a Cerberus. Although thats a lot of channeling potential lost.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2013 12:24 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Being a 1-ACT spell, Healing Hands is often a useful spell which can be cast several times with your priestesses while you use the Oracle to dish out the damage. I would always invest any healing into the Ogres who are less damaged, because they are more likely to survive and justify the expenditure.

Remember that ACT spent on healing Ogres allows you to make more awesome attacks with them during the game because they will live longer, and robs the enemy of their kill-points.

Familiars tend not to be targetted too much because against shooting they have DEF16 due to their Small ability.

Your warband is incredibly offensive, but a little fragile. OF course if you were to play 400 points (my favorite battle size), then you could afford some Hoplites and make it a really well-rounded, versitile warband.

As it is right now, its really scary, but a buffed Mortan Legions or Nordgaard Clans or Troglodytes Trolloth warband could perhaps weather the storm of Chain-Lightning spells. You would probably need to use the Oracle's Trance ability at maximum to give you +3 POW on the damage rolls, (giving you a POW of 5 against the secondary targets).
And when she does use Trance, she cannot channel spells!
So you really need to have a wall of Hoplites between her and the enemy when facing such warbands.

You took the Amulet of the Mist which makes you immune to Missile and Magic attacks - This is really important because you need to protect against snipers who can kill your oracle at a distance.

Potion of Arguthon you took is a great choice. +2 POW to your Oracle's 3 lightning spells for one turn is awesome.

Also beware super-fast Beastspawn warbands pumped up with Long Legs spells, giving them a potential MOV of 20 inches per turn. That means in the second turn, your Oracle and Priestesses could be charged.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 12:27 AM by David.)
08-22-2013 10:44 PM

Till Offline

I know its not a perfect list and thats a good thing. Because it has its weaknesses I can play it without having bad conscience. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to tweak it.

So if you think I should get in the healing spell then I think I do have to remove a Familiar. That would free up 15 points -9 for 3 Healing spells. 6 points left with which I could upgrade the dagger of the Oracle. Thats enough for the Silversoul Encheiridion which I imagine can be really annoying with some lucky rolls.

But whose Familiar should I remove?
08-25-2013 05:03 PM

David Offline
Administrator

I would say try both lists, they each have their merits.

The healing spells add more felxibility to your warband and the Silver Encheirideon is a really useful item. So definiteyl worth trying at the expense of one familiar.