Halyodynes Oracle
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Halyodynes Oracle
08-09-2013 12:05 PM
Halyodynes Oracle

Banenoun Offline

Hello,

I am very interested in the Halodynes, specifically the Temple subfaction.

I was planning to purchase an Oracle, but my limited game understanding means I would like to understand more about how she plays. I see that she has a low wounds value, does her subfaction ability and her printed ability work to reduce damage effectively? 5+/4+ means you could still take damage quickly, especially if you are only allowed the one protection roll (not got this far in the rules yet). Does she mitigate this by channeling a lot from range? One of her tactics is very tempting to me (extra range and damage on spells) but it does not allow channeling so I am a little confused how she can stay alive.

I would very much like to hear peoples opinions/experiences on this model.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2013 01:05 PM
RE: Halyodynes Oracle

Lord Nat Offline

Yes you only get on protection roll. But for her protection you have the ability to channel through the familiar & the animated statue. She also has the ability to levitate which allows her to walk away from engaging models without getting free strikes
08-09-2013 04:37 PM

Necrotix Offline

Also, there are spells that allow you to regain health.
08-09-2013 04:49 PM

Khazrak Offline

And this game is not that dangerous on longer ranges, so she most likely won't die that easy from shooting when she can easily stay behind and channel through her minions. Smile
08-11-2013 07:04 PM

Till Offline

I'm not a Halodyne player but I know how I would fear the Oracle as an enemy.

The most important job of the warlord ist donate AP so that units get stronger and buff them further with Spells/Tactics. With being able to sustain 2 spells and an incredibly good Logos of Achallon she excells on that part. With Archon Aura she can even give other models the posibility to donate AP as well so you can buff a single unit with quite a lot of bonus AP. So playing her as a defensive buffer is one way. If you are afraid of her getting hit because your enemy has some ranged fire power then you can give her the Amulet of Mist, then the enemy has to get into meele and by the time he achieves that you should have won the game already.

But I wouldn't recommend overcommiting on the buffer job though. The Oracle is a very nice harasser. Of course all her spells have a range that get you into charge distance of enemy units but with the ability to channel through a Sacred Familiar you expose only very few points. In fact if you play clever he won't even want to charge the Familiar because that would put him into a position he could get charged by your models and that should always be a trade in your favour. With Chain Lightning or Wrath of Gods you have superb tools of getting out some hurt on the enemy. And with quite few ranged capable models the pressure that puts upon the enemy is not to be underestimated. Let him know he will loose the poke game. Then he will rush towards you to deny you your poke game but that should put him in a vulnerable position on which you should be able to capitalize.

In a standard 300Pts game you should face only 1 or 2 enemy units and a couple of character models. If you are able to eradicate 1 unit before the real engagement starts you should be on the winning side. Potion of Argathon + 2x Wrath of Gods Channeled over a Sacred Fammiliar lets you do exactly that.

So that would be the way I'd like to play her. Dance around the edge of the enemies charge distance and harrass his biggest number units/important character models with your spells. And the moment he tries to corner your Oracle and therefore has to move into your charge distance you are the one who is charging on an enemy that has already spent AP to advance and therefore can't really counterattack.

Natural counters to that strategy should be the wyldfolk which has a lot of ranged attacks. Or the Banebrood which has the longest charge distances in game at the moment. But in both cases it only starts to get challenging because you have to plan the approach a bit more closely and make decisions about calculated losses.

The only issue I have with the Oracle is that I'm not sure if the Sanctum Priestess doesn't get the job done already. On the other hand. 1 Oracle, 2 Sanctum Priestesses with 3 Sacred Familiars means you can dish out easily 4 to 6 Chain Lightnings a turn. That can easily eat up whole warbands that have no option of getting either fast over the field or returning fire with ranged attacks.

Basically I would say the smaller the game the stronger gets the Oracle because her poke weights more if the losses weight more.
08-12-2013 01:34 PM

David Offline
Administrator

The above comments are all valid and well reasoned.

As the most powerful spell-caster in the game, the Oracle is certainly worth playing and a lot of fun to play.

Due to her immensely offensive capabilities, it was necessary to make her fragile for the purposes of game balance.

If your Oracle ends up in melee before round 6, then there is something to fix in your strategy. It is relatively easy to keep her out of harms way because of the chanelling possibilities and the buffers you can use o protect her such as Hoplites in phalanx.

It can happen that if your opponent played very well or you had bad luck that she becomes engaged at the end of the game. In that case, you could well lose her , but she has probably already more than earned her points.

There are also occasional exotic threats to look out for such as the Wyldfolk Beltain Bow that has a long range of 20 inches and can can ignore screening and cover. In that case you need to hide her in a forest or behind a building.

There are also models which can pass through or under your buffering units such as Nordgaard warlords with Groundmeld Potion and the Wyldfolk Banshee.

Other threats to look out for - massed shooting from elite shooters like Scabhta Hunters and Fimbul Toughborns. When facing these threats, I would invest in the item - Silversoul Encheiridion Daggers which heal D6 lifepoints any time she suffers damage but does not die.

Also watch out for fast creatures moving down the flanks and coming from behind.

However, in general, if you keep her protected and away from the main fight, the Oracle has good chances of survival.
08-14-2013 09:48 AM

Necrotix Offline

What I've noticed in planning my own 300pts Temple army is that it's very easy to make her expensive. She can take a bucketload of spells but the points cost for these add up quickly. In my opinion you need to pick a role and go that way rather than try to fill up all her spell slots.
08-14-2013 03:49 PM

Banenoun Offline

I played my first game with the Oracle earlier in the week. She died, in melee to a centurion after my other models were dead and nothing was left to protect her.

From that game I can already see many of the points raised here. I spent far too much kitting her out with a raft of spells and items, and as such she didn't really have a clear role. I also found that her magic, even with all the damage buffs, wasn't very reliable against high armor, and so she was limited to targets of opportunity and slight buffing to other units.

I found her enjoyable, and hope to use her better in my next game (and against hopefully lower armor models).
08-14-2013 04:25 PM

Till Offline

OK you got me hooked. I had to think about a 300 Pts list. This is what I came up with:

Oracle -> 71 Pts
+Archon Aura
+Chain Lightning
+Sacrificial Xyele
+Potion of Argathon
+Amulet of Mist
++Sacred Familiar

Sanctum Priestess -> 43 Pts
+Killing Machine
+Chain Lightning
++Sacred Familiar

Sanctum Priestess -> 45 Pts
+Warcry
+Chain Lightning
++Sacred Familiar

Animated Statue -> 32 Pts

Cerberos -> 35 Pts

Hill Ogres (min unit) -> 74 Pts

I really would have liked a second Cerberos but then I would sit on 44 points left and you can't get a min unit for Halodynes at the moment for this.

Basic idea is to break the current meta of having overbuffed units that slam into your army and wipe everything up.

Sacred Familiars go in first and you channel the Chain Lightnings in the enemy. I would tend to use the Potion early on because there is always the danger that already in turn 3 the meele begins. The Cerberos is ready to charge everything that kills the Familiars. You may even send it on a suicide mission to get rid of some archers. The Arcane Statue should increase the precision of those chain lightnings by a huge amount. Well and after all it has a Pow6 attack and an automatically hitting attack. So in the poke game phase you can threaten the enemy and he just hasn't any valuable targets only the Sacred Familiars and maybe the Cerberos to attack and he shouldn't be able to target all of those 4 models.

When he decides to rush in then you can buff the Hill Ogres up to 8 ACT, increase their precision and/or their damage output with the spells from the Sanctum Priestesses. That should be enough for Circular Slash -> Charge -> movement to engage new targets -> 2nd Attack. Even with only 3 Hill Ogres this should mean pain. And if he stays out of the charge distance of the Hill ogres. Well poke him with Lightnings.

You even have a wonderful initiative sink posibility. You can activate 2 Familiars, the Statue and possibly the Cerberos whithout revealing any strategic thoughts, while the enemy might already be quite fixed in his positioning after 4 activations, so you can pick cherries whithout even fearing retaliation.

Thoughts?
08-14-2013 04:55 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

All in all a nice warband with a fearsom ranged potential and a nasty damage output in melee. You can handle mass warbands as well as units with a high ARM. Only real weak spot could be fast (your models are pretty slow except for the cerberus, even more if you want to cast spells) and shooty (due to the longer range and greater number of ranged attacks) warbands. And though to your limited number of models (especially for melee) every loss can be devastating to your strategy (see 3. below).

1. Keep in mind that you can also channel through the statue Wink So maybe you can save some points by less familiars

2. As an attachment familiars activate directly before or after the model they are attached to (both count as ONE activation), so sadly you can't hide your strategy the way you propose.

3. I would always (ALWAYS) take the spell healing hands as often as possible, particularly when fielding hill ogres (with their many LP it is just devestating to your enemies moral if he sees them regenerate again and again Smile, especially when combined with arrow protection and/or seraphic shield). With only 3 points this spell is a must have for every priestess in my opinion.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2013 04:58 PM by Simon.)