MY Nordgaard clan Warband list
Megalith Games - Official Forums

05-06-2013 10:20 PM

The Hairy Painter Offline

Hi guys, so out of the 3 faction boxes that i have and plan to build up the Nordgaard will be my main faction. So i did up a 500 point list.

Warsmith armed with
Valkyries Blessing
Stonesmasher
Breastplate of the Magnetic Deflection
Healing Potion

7 Fjell Warriors
8 Fjell Warriors
8 Fjell Warriors

Fjellganger
Fjellganger

Brewer of Odrorir
Valkrie
Chainslayer

Total points 495

So what do you think, i rather like it but im sure it will get changed at somepoint. Let me know what you think or suggest changing

hairy
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2013 08:28 AM
RE: MY Nordgaard clan Warband list

David Offline
Administrator

That's my kind of warband; I love large warbands, and during the playtesting, often fielded 3 basic units.

This one rewards the Hammer-and-Anvil strategy: -

Buff you front Fjell Warrior units with the Brewer (Hardneck Mead or Guarding Draft) and use the Warsmith's Shatter tactic on approaching enemies giving them -2 POW.
And perform Shieldwall. In this was you effectively can give the Fjell Warriord a DEF of 16 and ARM of 9. Together with their 6 lifepoints you are unlikely to lose many when charged. Use the Valkyrie to heal and resurrect the casualties.

Then charge with your Fjellgangrs from the flanks.

Next round use Chasm Cracker of the Warsmith to knock down a bunch of enemies (giving them -2 DEF) and use Shatter on them to reduce their ARM by -2, while giving your own troops Grindstone for +1 POW. Then using Powerful fighting style, your Fjell Warriors effectively strike with MEL8 and POW 8.

If you place the Chainslayer just in front of one unit, then he can cause massive casualties from his Whirlwind Tactic and Thrash attacks.
05-07-2013 08:45 AM

Cheers Dave.

I love the idea of the Chainslayer pulling a unit leader out from the unit and then charging it with a Fjellgangr lol a little over kill i know but shock an ore is a great tactic lol

now i just need Wee Gamers to get their stock and i can expand on what i have

hairy
05-07-2013 08:45 AM

Khazrak Offline

Very good army, played several very similar ones.

Although, I'd propose some minor changes:

- Give the Warsmith the Doomangr Devastator (you have enough points for the change left) because with the 2 Fjellgangrs you have already very good single target hitting power. However, the Doomangr can dispatch larger troops easier than the Fjellgangr/Chainslayer Trash attack (easier positioning and the Warsmith hits better).

- Have you thought about adding a Bloodvarg? So far, in your list there is nothing really fast on the table besides the Valkyrie, which you have to wait for to come. I like the Bloodvargs to threaten flanks or weak characters after running behind the enemy lines.

Just my 2 cents
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 08:46 AM by Khazrak.)
05-07-2013 10:21 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Nice warband. I agree with Khazrak about the Bloodvargs.

David wrote: "In this was you effectively can give the Fjell Warriord a DEF of 16 and ARM of 9"

Think you mistook DEF and ARM boni... they end up with an effective DEF of 14 and an ARM of 11 (-2 POW to the enemy means an effective +2 ARM for your guys Wink)

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
05-07-2013 11:36 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

That's a pretty solid list.
And I agree, Bloodvargs might improve it, especially as flankers. However, I think a unit of Toughborns to support the Fjell Warriors in the centre would certainly be helpful as well. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
05-07-2013 02:34 PM

David Offline
Administrator

(05-07-2013 10:21 AM)Simon Wrote:  Nice warband. I agree with Khazrak about the Bloodvargs.

David wrote: "In this was you effectively can give the Fjell Warriord a DEF of 16 and ARM of 9"

Think you mistook DEF and ARM boni... they end up with an effective DEF of 14 and an ARM of 11 (-2 POW to the enemy means an effective +2 ARM for your guys Wink)

Exactly. Thank you Simon. Should be like this:
Basic DEF 12 ARM 8
Shieldwall DEF 13 ARM 9
Guarding Draft DEF 14 ARM 9
Shatter effect DEF 14 ARM 11

I agree changing one unit of Fjell Warriors for Toughborns, but a defensive strategy does not require Bloodvargs. Including them does not allow the warband to play offensively - due to the speed of most models in the warband.

Flexible warbands with Bloodvards are great but then the warband would look totally different.
05-07-2013 06:06 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Yes, but even in a defensive warband bloodvargs have their use:

They can bind important enemy units to prevent them from participating in the charge and gives you the time to smash the enemy bit by bit, giving you an advantage in the most important fight.

And they can surround the enemy to take down charakters and warlords important to the enemy strategy like spellcasters etc.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
05-07-2013 08:57 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Valid points but I would use the Fjellgangrs and Chainslayer for that.
And Groundmeld Potion.

With such a short charge range that Dwarves have, I don't really want to break up the enemy formation too much. I want them all clustered and packed into the centre of the board. that way I remove my main disadvantage - charge range. With so many enemies jammed together I have pretty much evened out the chances for charging and engaging.

Anyway, as you know, I love fielding warbands with several big basic units like Fjell Warriors.

HERE'S SOME NEWS FOR NORDGAARD FANS: 30 minutes ago the Skannfyrd Kinswords sculpting was finished. You can see the WIPs from a week ago on our home page, but now the small details have been added such as accesories, and battle damage etc.

That means their release is not so far off. Of course the awesome Einherjer and Runegate Keeper are coming first, but this development has inspried me to make a Skannfyrd warband list, which I will post separately.
05-07-2013 10:39 PM

Great news Dave and thanks for the tips guys

hairy