So how many points?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

So how many points?
04-02-2013 05:06 PM
So how many points?

Vasquez21 Offline

I guess some people can talk a little more about it.
How you guys estimate after your games what is best points per side ratio for players?

We are planing to play test game soon, and I would like to play it with more than 160 for sure...

What you think is best number? 300-400? More?

mgla.pl - polish online store
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013 05:31 PM
RE: So how many points?

CplHicks Offline

We prefer to play with 499. Gives you good choice for units, about 2-3 hours game (depending how experienced you are) and does not yet open up the availability of Warlords and units.

For example my 496 pts list from yesterday looked like this:

Demarchon + stuff
2x Syntarch
Sanctum Priestress + spells + Familiar

4 Hillogres
9 Hoplites
10 Hoplites

Three units and several characters to toy around with. Currently my alternative would be to exchange one Hoplite squad for Amazon archers and a fifth Hill Ogre instead of one Syntarch. More shooty, a little more damage against tougher opponents but less basic bodies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013 05:42 PM

André Offline
Administrator

Most of our testplayers and me myself prefer to play at 300 points. Such games give you a little more variety than the typical starter box games and only last for like 90 minutes. So they are the perfect size for regular games in my opinion since you do not have to spend hours playing.

Some also like to play bigger battles with about 500 points as CplHicks already mentioned. Those are also a lot of fun but you will need to spend some more time on it! Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013 06:01 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

Only played 300-400 pts games so far, and I think that's for the best. But then again I'm a player who prefers low point games.
04-02-2013 06:59 PM

Huscarl Offline

I think, I prefer 300-400 pts, because it allows me to field quite a few units, 2 or 3 supporting characters and a well equipped warlord; a nice, little warband.
But ,like PraetorDragoon, I prefer smaller games in general.
04-02-2013 10:30 PM

Till Offline

Isn't the point size also a game design question?

For example ranged skrimishing units like the amazon archers are better in smaller games because its easier to evade the enemy and every loss does count more than in bigger games.

Same goes on for terrain exploitation? If you play a warband who needs severe terrain you are better of in smaller games because then one forrest may be enough while in bigger games the enemy has still plenty models of you he can reach because you can't hide them anymore. or he can simply encircle the woods terrain.

Same is true for one hit wonders. If the enemy just has one crew and you dish out one AoE Effect to kill it its tremendeous. If there are 2 other units nearby you may still get crushed and at least have casulties while in a smaller game you might have won without loosing anything.

This goes on and on of course. But thats again me who would also like to have standardised tournament table setups so that terrain is distributed in a way it was intended and the point cost of special rules is balanced against.

And again this is only theory and experience from other tabletops, since I didn't managed to play a single game yet.

Isn't it a bit easy to say its just personal preference?
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 10:31 PM by Till.)
04-03-2013 12:27 PM

Markgrafgero Offline

Quote:Same is true for one hit wonders. If the enemy just has one crew and you dish out one AoE Effect to kill it its tremendeous. If there are 2 other units nearby you may still get crushed and at least have casulties while in a smaller game you might have won without loosing anything.

Yep. Using the Troglodytes styganite crystal in battlebox games against the Hoplites phalanx for example.

Sometimes you cant fit all models you consider important in a certain point limit. Chief, 2-3 units, 2 Solos and 2 beasts are more than 300 points in many cases. And thats what i consider "a good warband size".
So i think 400 should serve my needs at the moment.
04-03-2013 08:28 PM

Skylifter Offline

(04-03-2013 12:27 PM)Markgrafgero Wrote:  Sometimes you cant fit all models you consider important in a certain point limit. Chief, 2-3 units, 2 Solos and 2 beasts are more than 300 points in many cases. And thats what i consider "a good warband size".
So i think 400 should serve my needs at the moment.

It is just that which makes it interesting in the first place: at 300 points, you'll have to make hard decisions and can't really bring 'the full kit'. That, in my experience, makes list more varied and interesting to play and play against. I'm really looking forward to playing those 300 points when everything from the book has been released and you can try lots and lots of different builds.
04-03-2013 09:52 PM

André Offline
Administrator

@skylifter: that´s what I think too! Smile at 300 points you just cannot field everything you would like. it also helps to think about new tactics etc. because there will be nice stuff and combinations that just do not fit in there, hehe! so just give it a try everyone! it is really fun! Smile
04-03-2013 10:10 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Aye, I prefer 250 and 300 points as well. However, I've got nothing against a bigger game every now and then. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty