SACRED FAMILIAR?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

SACRED FAMILIAR?
03-17-2013 11:45 AM
RE: SACRED FAMILIAR?

Kousei Offline

I like playing very magic heavy armies. So it’s good to see that they are possible to make and will hopefully work. It’s also nice to see that both of these lists only have 1 Sacred Familiar in them. One of the worries I had was that I only bought 1 Sacred Familiar from the kick start. I was kind of kicking myself that I need two, plus the Animated Statue (which I can’t wait to see/ pick up).

You can either openly and Willingly join the Mortan Empire or you will join the Mortan Empire.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-18-2013 11:31 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Brandon - Dont worry about the one familiar. Two is certainly better when you have 3 spellcastres, but one Familiar and a an Animated Statue will work because any spell-caster can channel through both the statue and the Familiar.
A 3rd Familiar gives you incredible coverage of the battlefiled and can be a nice Kamikaze against a dense unit, like Legionnaires, Fjell Warriors or Bladeslingers using their formation tactics. If you assign an action token to a Sacred Familiar and then detonate it, you can cause a POW5 damage roll against 10 models! Do that twice and you can take out an entire unit for the price of 30 points. (Do that too often against the same opponent and he will execute your Familiars before they get close :-))

Corporal Hicks - The spells I would chose would depend largely on the faction I was facing and the strategy I planned to use. With such a 300-point warband described above, what you need is offensive, damage-causing spells to wipe out the enemy while the Hoplites slow them down. I would take 2X Crumbling Rust, and 2X Wrath of the Gods, 1X Holy Fire, 1X Godsmite.

Here's a nice combo:
1) equip your Oracle with the Aural Collar and potion of Argathon.
2) use a priestess to cast Crumbling Rust on two enemy units.
3) activate the Oracle and drink the potion of Argathon (giving you +2 to spell-casting damage rolls)
4) Cast Wrath of the Gods with the Oracle on both enemy units. She will now be making up to 20 attack rolls (depending on how many models are in the two enemy units), using her MAG of 8 against an average DEF of 13, so hitting on a 5+. Aural Collar allows you to reroll every roll of 1 that she makes in every attack roll!
Then she makes damage rolls with an effective POW of 7 (+2 for Potion of Argathon and +2 for Crumbling Rust).

That is the power of Halodyne magic!

So go forth and teach the world what it means to offend the gods!
03-19-2013 07:47 AM

Skylifter Offline

And can't she even spend two action tokens on her trance tactic first? Casting Wrath of the gods twice costs 4 action tokens, leaving her with two more. And that would mean another +2 to the POW of the spell.

By the way, don't you first have to do the spellcasting roll? In the case of legionnaires, who have MAG 3, that would be a complexity of 14, so she has to roll a 6+ to actually cast the spell, and only then make the magic attacks, right?

Right, now I really want 1. that priestess and 2. that oracle and 3. that familiar. Not that I didn't already order 2 priestesses and planned on buying 3 familiars and the oracle, but now I really want to play them today. Damn.
03-19-2013 12:13 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Yes, there would be the two casting rolls first for each Wrath of the Gods spell and two casting rolls for Crumbling Rust, and it is still definitely possible to miss on a 6+. If the Oracle is channelling the spell then she suffers -1 on the casting roll, so I would be tempted to save the 2 ACT for re-casting the spell in case one of the rolls failed. Also remember that if she uses Trance to boost the Power and range of the spell, then she is not allowed to channel spells.

But if she was close to the enemy then yes, boosting the POW with Trance would be a good option! She could potentially cast Wrath of the Gods twice with POW9!

If the spell-casting rolls succeed, then that move would probably kill 70% of two basic units (rough guess). Against elite units the spells are more likely to fail because they generally have higher MAG to overcome.

Of course if I suspect my opponent will be fielding a magic-heavy warband, I would take design my warband to face such a threat.

The Priestess will be available in 2 days, and the familiar is coming soon. The Oracle will be the next Halodyne warlord
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 12:17 PM by David.)
03-19-2013 02:34 PM

Skylifter Offline

Wait... POW 9?

Wrath of the Gods = POW 1
Potion of Argathon +2 = POW 3
Crumbling Rust -2 ARM = effective POW 5
2 ACT on Trance +2 = effective POW 7.

What am I missing? Where do the other 2 points of POW come from? I mean it's still massive at POW 7, potentially killing more than half of a unit in one go. And if she casts it at an elite unit, she can simply cast it twice so one should be hitting and if both do, well, that's a bonus.
03-19-2013 06:58 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

@Skylifter: You are right with POW 7. Please keep in mind that David is a descendant of a Hammerfist, and not the youngest anymore... so summation of single-digit numbers is quite hard for him Wink

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
03-19-2013 08:40 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Woops. I misread the basic POW of the spell. And my Feral-Troll bone-abacus was broken.

A POW 7 attack against 20 models still a good combo :-)
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2013 08:43 PM by David.)
03-19-2013 09:38 PM

Skylifter Offline

No worries, I just wanted to be sure. I hope you don't mind me being a nuisance about rules issues from time to time, I just really want to play the game "correctly" because I don't want to win due to misreading a rule or something like that.
03-19-2013 10:07 PM

Khazrak Offline

Don't get me wrong, but in my eyes, this combo is a bit too good for it's price.

Let's calculate:

For a mere 70 points, we get the

- Oracle with
- Potion of Argathon (+2 POW for dmg rolls)
- Aurel Collar (re-roll 1s for dmg rolls)
- Avatar's Claw with Chain Lightning (automatic cast for 1 less ACT per turn)

Ok, we don't calculate the additional cost for an additional caster with Crumbling Rust but even without, this is just a too awesome powerhouse in my eyes.

We get the mentioned 2 casts of Wrath of the Gods, which automatically affects a whole unit + 1 cast of Chain Lightning.

The 2 WotG get in my example (due to the additional Chain Lightning instead of a higher investment in Trance) "only" Power 4 (1 base + 2 Potion + 1 Trance) and the Chain Lightning POW 6 against the main target and POW 5 against the D3 additional targets.

So, with my proposed equipment setup, you can chose to hit more models with lesser power or against targets with higher armor/health points you invest more points into additional casters with Crumbling Rust or raise the POW via Trance.

With a MAG of 8, she has against most units with an average MAG of 3-4 an easy game to get the spells through and as it's a spell, she can't even fumble. So - in my eyes - the idea of "careful planning and combining tactics, spells and other combos may lead to tremendous success" is not really applied here as the statistic chances, that everything works fine, are quite good. Self tactics work automatically and so do potions.

On the defensive side, the Oracle can't be targeted by enemy spells, has a high base DEF of 14 (+2 optional with Levitate +screening/cover) and so is quite safe against missile shooting, especially when we remember the awesome protection roll. The spells get quite a good range due to Trance and so can be cast from quite a safe distance. So, she isn't killed that easy - not with spells, hardly with missile attacks and if you as warlord have half a brain, it should be really hard with melee attacks.

When I first read through the book and took a look at the Oracle, I wondered how I ever should be able to beat this awesome caster.
03-19-2013 10:35 PM

Skylifter Offline

Looks like a harsh combo, yes. My first thought was to just move a light infantry unit to engage her from all sides, as she isn't a battle caster and while she can disengage with Levitate, that costs her resources and isn't possible when she's surrounded. And that unit was probably cheaper than her. You could make that impossible by protecting her with a unit, however, leaving just enough space for her to see through at her target. But that's even more resources spent on the combo.