SACRED FAMILIAR?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

SACRED FAMILIAR?
03-10-2013 09:31 AM
SACRED FAMILIAR?

Kousei Offline

Hello

I am not really sure how spell casting works in this game yet. But I am wondering how the Sacred familiar works? I read how you can cast spells with your other casters through it, but what else does it do to help magic? Is it really that good that I want one per a spell caster in my army?

Thanks

Brandon

You can either openly and Willingly join the Mortan Empire or you will join the Mortan Empire.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013 09:50 AM
RE: SACRED FAMILIAR?

Skylifter Offline

It has two functions.

1. It grants the caster +1 MAG for casting spells when it's close to him, so you can use it with a buffing caster to make her more sure to apply those buffs.

2. You can channel spells through it. It is rather quick and can fly, so troops and objects in the way don't stop it (it must be in LOS of the caster to work, though). Channeling spells through it increases the range of every spell by the caster's LEAD plus one base size (if you can eyeball that exactly), so you can shoot a chain lightning across 15-16 inches with a priestess and keep her relatively safe, as opposed to only having a RNG of 8 and being charged by anything the chain lightning didn't kill.

If 6 inch extra range is enough, you can even combine both effects (since the bonus to the spell casting rolls works within 6 inches of the familiar).

The magic blast is probably very situational; I will rarely want to use it, but then again, it could be a nice deterrent. It could be a potential POW 5 automatic hit, after all (with an action token assigned from the warlord)

Overall, I think that is easily worth 15 points. Not sure if it will be worth taking one per caster when you've got several spell casters, but probably yes. I'll definitely be getting three models and try it once they and the two spell casters are released.
03-10-2013 10:46 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Even better than the additional range when chaneling your spells is that you can stay out of the LOS of your enemys and still cast fireballs and chain lightnings on them! Both, the familiar and the animated statue can do this! Just hide behind your battleline (or even better some big obstacles, since there are some guys who can shoot through models or don't need LOS to charge...) and still be able to boost your troops or make a nice barbecue with some "friends"...Wink

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
03-11-2013 06:17 AM

Kousei Offline

Hey

Not really sure how casting magic works, but +1 to a stat has to be pretty
good no matter. The extra range on spells sounds amazing though.

So if you had a WL caster and 2 character casters in a list (would that be too many?). Would you take 1 animated statue and 2 sacred familiars?

Does a familiar effect and caster in its range and LOS or does it get paired with one caster only? Can you cast through it any number of times per a turn

You can either openly and Willingly join the Mortan Empire or you will join the Mortan Empire.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
03-11-2013 02:38 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Let me try to answer:

"So if you had a WL caster and 2 character casters in a list (would that be too many?). Would you take 1 animated statue and 2 sacred familiars?"

It depends on the battle level you play and your preferred style of play. The mentioned above is an extreme magic lasting warband with only a few points left for regulare troop (if you play a "normal" level with ~300 pts). But this doesn't mean you have no chances to win or won't have fun playing it!!! In fact there are several warbands that will be dominated by such a combo, while others will kick your ass... Try it out and find the warband, that fits your personal style of play! That is one of the most exciting aspects of GS! Wink

"Does a familiar effect and caster in its range and LOS or does it get paired with one caster only? Can you cast through it any number of times per a turn "

As an attachment the sacred familiars bonus to spell casting rolls only applies to the attached charakter. But chanelling is possible for all friendly spellcasters!
And you can cast as many spells through it as you have ACTs! So with 3 spellcasters you can unleash a hell of thaumaturgic spells each round!
The statue isn't an attachment, so the aura affects all friendly spellcasters in range. Channeling is the same as for the familiar.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 02:43 PM by Simon.)
03-11-2013 03:56 PM

Kousei Offline

Cool, thank you. Thats really good to know. Can't wait to get my first couple of games in Smile. Sounds like my 3 casters might be too much though.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
03-12-2013 09:44 AM

Skylifter Offline

The "staying out of LOS of my target"-part kind of was so obvious to me since I also play Warmachine and that is the most important function of channelers there that I completely forgot to even mention it. That will be an important part of the oracle's gameplay, I'm quite certain, since she is really squishy if hit. So for her, I'll definitely always bring one.

For the priestess it is more optional, but probably quite sensible to do as well. But since the priestess' role isn't necessarily as pivotal to your army's performance as that of our spellcaster warlord, sending her into danger to do some spell casting is more viable.

Writing this, I realise one more thing the familiar is good for, actually: preserving their spellcaster's action tokens for spells. Normally, the spellcaster would probably have to move a bit to get LOS and into range - with the familiar on the table, all the movement can be done by it, keeping your spellcaster's tokens for actually casting - possibly 3 spells a round with the priestess if she gets a token from the warlord.

I always read it as "scared familiar", by the way...
03-12-2013 10:36 AM

David Offline
Administrator

That's right about preserving action tokens. In the turn you start unleashing your barrage of spells you don't need to move. Instead you move the Statue/Familiar.

I would never take an Oracle without a Familiar/Statue (preferably a statue), and I would never take a Priestess without a Familiar.

The magic-heavy warband of Oracle plus 2 Priestesses is a powerful one but must be backed up by some troops because you need some road-blocks between your casters and the enemy, otherwise they will be on you before you can kill them all. One good option for this is Hoplites. They are great defensive troops, and cheap too.

While 300-350 points is a good game for a couple of hours (once you are familiar with most rules), I prefer 450 points games because when I play I want the game to last 3 hours, and because I like to have lots of troops on the table. However, it is possible to make a well-rounded but magic-heavy warband for 300 points:

35 points Oracle
20 points Priestess 1
20 points Priestess 2
35 points for 7 spells for the ladies
16 points for Oracle's Items
15 points Sacred Familiar
32 points Animated Statue
35 points Cerberos
92 points Unit of 8 Hoplites
300 Total

So here is my 450 point warband
35 points Oracle
20 points Priestess 1
20 points Priestess 2
38 points for 7 spells for the ladies
19 points for Oracle's Items
15 points Sacred Familiar
32 points Animated Statue
35 points Cerberos
92 points Unit of 8 Hoplites
72 points unit of 3 Sons of War
72 points unit of 3 Sons of War
450 Total

Here's another thing to consider - take the Godquester Temple Sub-faction version instead of the Oracle. Less magicky but she is very versatile and difficult to kill.
03-12-2013 09:35 PM

Skylifter Offline

That first list sounds really interesting, I'll definitely try that sometime.

Now all I need is all the models to be available! Shut up and take my money! Big Grin
03-12-2013 09:59 PM

CplHicks Offline

I am currently building the familiar I bought at the Tactica. :-D

David, what spells would you use in such a list?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply