The Mortans game play and variety?
Megalith Games - Official Forums

03-10-2013 09:16 AM

Kousei Offline

Hello Smile

I am extremely excited to play the Mortans. I am totally into what I know about their fluff and look so far. I really like the idea of finally getting to play the Roman Empire in a fantasy style game. It’s even cooler that they have some undead/ necromancy elements to them as well. So it’s pretty safe to say I am sold on their fluff and look at this point. So what’s the problem right?

Well Legionnaires are highly disciplined troops that are very hard to kill, with low damage output. Legio Mortum are extremely hard to kill troops, with (what I know) low damage output. So I am a little unsure about having two of my basic troops filling the same role in different ways. I am guessing this is to offer the each sub-faction a base tough unit to support the Mortan play style.
I am normally a fantasy player. So when someone tells me tells me about an army that is slow moving, with great leadership, hard to kill with great armour and has artillery, I think Dwarfs. Know what I have never wanted to play in my whole life…Dwarfs.

So I am worried about them being a just sit back and shoot army. I like the idea of them being tough, because that’s a change of pace compared to what I am used too. I normally play high elves and Tomb Kings. But I am not sure how long that will be interesting for. I am pretty hopeful the Mortans will be more than that, but at this point it’s all I know.

I remember that in the Mortan intro video it stated how each faction could play offensively and defensively. But what I am wondering is in general why would I want to run my Legionnaires across the board not in Testudo, Compared to sitting back in Testudo and firing overhead. Other than “it’s sometimes good to get the charge off, so they don’t”. More looking for actual unit abilities, some insight into actual game play and current and future units would be cool.

Thanks

Brandon

You can either openly and Willingly join the Mortan Empire or you will join the Mortan Empire.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013 09:51 AM
RE: The Mortans game play and variety?

Fenris Offline

It clearly depends on the Mission you are playing. Sometimes you have to move, to win the game. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
03-10-2013 10:31 AM

Kousei Offline

Lol thanks....

You can either openly and Willingly join the Mortan Empire or you will join the Mortan Empire.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 10:40 AM by Kousei.)
03-10-2013 12:30 PM

Christian Offline

First of, only in the starter Subfaction exists heavy infantry, so the Legio Mortum is faster. And why the undead play a lot different, look at strong magic, Ancestral rites (3 Tokens in the beginning of the game, mid half 5 is your goal), Unholy Binding on the Legio Mortum, and the Moloch.
03-10-2013 12:39 PM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

In my experience, Mortan Warbands - including Legions - are in no way restricted to play only in a defensive style. In fact, a buffed unit of legionnaires supported by WL and characters can easily cross the battlefield (well protected), charge (even better with an assigned ACT from the WL to make a pilum assault) and slaughter the core units of every other faction.

In the foreseeable future, there will be some online articles on different units/models and possible ways of using them - the article about the legionnaires might provide some ideas on their versatility. Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
03-11-2013 06:06 AM

Kousei Offline

Hello Smile

Just too be clear. I have only read the starter cards and see the learn to play videos. So I haven’t had a chance to read the rules or any other units yet.

But that’s really great to hear about the Magistratum. The ancestral rites of the Legio Mortum sound really cool. It’s interesting to hear about an undead unit that is faster moving and aggressive. So I am even more excited about them now Smile.

I am all ready sold on the idea of the legions; I am just worried about their damage output. I really like the idea of the pilum assault btw, sounds great.

Thanks for your guy’s responses and I am looking forward to the design and strategy articles.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 07:06 AM by Kousei.)
03-11-2013 07:04 AM

Fenris Offline

You shouldn't take a look on the legionnaires alone. There damage output isn't that bad. But consider them the anvil of a hammer-and-anvil-tactic. Those legionnaires in testudo are tough. Bring along a unit of damage dealers and the fun begins. Wink

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
03-11-2013 07:10 AM

Kousei Offline

For sure Smile Part of me is looking forward to having a tough unit on the table for once, I am not really use to that. Yeah, I am looking forward to looking at the other units when they come in. I order the elite veteran deal for the Mortans as well.

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
03-11-2013 05:09 PM

David Offline
Administrator

All the above comments are completeley correct:
A) Each subfaction of Mortans plays differently to each other and all work pretty well in concert with each other
B) Playing scenarios introduces a lot of variety to the game. You can no longer rely on a single strategy.
C) The Legionnaires are just one unit in the Mortan faction, and are the only unit that is heavy infantry.

Although they can only move 3 times per round (due to being heavy infantry), Legionnaires are still faster than Dwarves since humans have MOV 3 and Dwarves have MOV2, so offensive play is still realistic.

As Raoul mentioned, there are about to come a series of articles for each faction describing different ways to play them and strategic options. We are right now taking photos for these and they should be online in the next few weeks. Here are a couple of excerpts from the Legionnaires article:

Combining Legionnaires with other Models
Several models in the Mortan warband work well with your Legionnaires.

• Centurion – the Centurion is the clear choice for a Legions sub-faction warband, especially one with lots of Legionnaires. With his ability Centuria Commander the Centurion doubles his LEAD range for ordering tactics to friendly living models to 20 inches. Also consider that because of their sub-faction ability, Legionnaires will not need to test for receiving orders.
Ancestral Pride is a great bonus for Legionnaires in melee since it gives the target model/unit either +1 on melee attack or +1 on melee damage rolls.
Coordinated Charge allows a target friendly model/unit to measure its charge range in any direction. This can be critical during rounds 3 and 4 of most games. It can also be used in a sneaky way to judge distance for something else you want to know that happens to be standing nearby.
• Princeptor – the Princeptor is mostly a one-man killing machine and not a supporting character, but he does have one cool tactic he can order to the Legionnaires - Campaign Veteran. With this the Legionnaires who score a hit with an attack can roll an extra D6 to see if they score a critical hit. Assuming they need 6+ to hit, then they will be hitting on 72.18 Probability. So you will have a 24.17% probability of scoring crits – essnetiall y quarter of all your hits. Since their crits do 2 points direct damage this is a nice little bonus especially considering their low basic POW.
• Necromagus – Although he is best suited to supporting undead models, the Necromagus has 4 awesome spells he can use to buff Legionnaires, so it is well worth taking one along in a Legions warband:
Soulstone Martyr – gives Defiant in Death, allowing your Legionnaires to be removed at the end of the round. This is particularly useful for legionnaires in Testudo, since they are not allowed to make counter-attacks. Therefore with Defiant in Death, they survive long enough to be activated with your normal activation and to make their attacks before dying.
Imperial Blessing – gives +1 to damage rolls. This is simple but awesome. Use it at every opportunity!!!!
Foul Wind causes -1 to enemy MEL, MIS, and MAG within 1 inch of the unit. Cast this on Legionnaires in Testudo and you effectively increase their DEF to 16!
Transmortis – Try to cast this spell on the front models of a unit in Testudo and have a small unit of Legio Mortum behind (be sure they are in LOS). The enemy faces the immense DEF and ARM of the Legionnaires, and any damage they do inflict gets transferred to the Legio Mortum because of the spell. Because of the Legio Mortum’s ability Invulnerable, any model not destroyed gets its life-points re-set to full at the end of the round! If any Legio Mortum are destroyed, just awaken them again with the spell Raise Legionnaires. In this way you can make your legionnaires almost immune to damage!
• Praetorian Carnifexer – in a warband composed mostly of Carnifexors you can use a few Legionnaires to absorb the initial charge of the opposing warband, since any destroyed models will cost you 10 points less than a destroyed Carnifexor. In a warband composed of more legionnaires, a small unit of 3 Carnifexors is a great hammer to use against the hardest enemy models.
• Xisteri Bombers - Legionnaires are perfect to protect the vulnerable bombers from melee and missile attacks. Hide them behind a wall of steel, move once and throw their bombs, then hide again with their Skirmish Order tactic. This way you can weaken the enemy then destroy them with a hard strike.
• Libarum Technocrat – He is also a useful warlord with his tactic Carborane Concentrate, effectively improving the POW of the legionnaires by 2 points plus 1 point direct damage!

The Offensive Plan
Even though they are heavy infantry, Legionnaires can be used offensively. This strategy works best with several units of Legionnaires, each 6 members strong. Also take 1-2 Princeptors.

Advance forward with your warband using Testudo if necessary to protect from missile attacks or fast flankers.

When you get close to the opposing warband, use the Princeptors to engage the nearest most dangerous models. Remember that the Princeptor is not heavy infantry, so he can move 4 times per turn, and engage models 13 inches away. Be careful to place him in contact with only 2 enemy models. Your Princeptors are able to defend themselves very well with their Parry tactic. Now that they are engaged, they will be unable to charge your models, so you can position your Legionnaires and charge with them.

If you have two or three units of Legionnaires, you can also use one of the units as a lure, placing it in Testudo while the other two stand a little further back preparing to charge. Once this lure has been charged then charge the chargers with your remaining Legionnaire unit/s.

Before charging, buff the Legionnaires with an action token from the Centurion as well as the Centurion’s ordered tactic Ancestral Pride (or Campaign Veteran from the Princeptor). If possible, also buff them with the spell Imperial Blessing (+1 to hit). In this case you will be attacking with charge boinus too, so you will be able to fight with an effective MEL of 8 and POW of 4.

Remember to also use the Centurion’s tactic Counteract, to prevent new enemy tactics. Now charge with the Legionnaires, performing Pilum Assault. Be sure to place your Legionnaires in base contact so that you can go into Testudo in the following round if necessary.

Regarding their low POW, yes, POW 2 is pretty feeble, and was necessary to make them balanced and also fit with the fact that they have short-swords.

One of the defining rule mechanics of godslayer is the action of enhancing or "buffing" units by characters and Warlords. This can be done with assigned action-token, ordered tactics, auras, special talents, spells and items. We designed the system so that intelligent play rewards players wit better chances of victory so that the game is less about the luck of the dice roll.

In this repect, Legionnaire POW can be increased by several methods:
-The tactic Carborane Concentrate of the Libarum Technocrat can raise the POW of the Legionnaires by +1 for the entire game!
-Ancestral Pride tactic of the Centurion ordered to the Legionnaires also gives them +1 POW.
-Powerful fighting style gives an additional +1 POW
-The Spell Imperial Blessing gives +1 to damage rolls.

With the above, you can combine several of them to give your Legionnaires POW5. Pretty awesome for such defensive troops!

Alternatively, order the Princeptor’s tactic Campaign Veteran to the Legionnaires which allows you to roll an additional D6 on every successful hit to see if your score a critical hit. Critical hits for your Legionnaires means +2 points direct damage on the enemy.

So assuming you prepare to buff your Legionnaires POW with some of the above methods, it is entirely practical to play a warband composed primarily of Legionnaires. That sounds like an awesome themed warband, and fun to play.

Of course other parts of the Mortan faction have higher POW, like the Praetoian Carnifexors who have basic POW of 6! And can be buffed in the same ways as described above. So POW7 or POW8 are entirely realistic for Carnifexors.

The Moloch has POW5 and does direct damage with one tactic. The Scorpio has POW 6 missile attacks - which is the hardest missile attack in the game so far, and can also be buffed with Carborane Concentrate tactic of the Technocrat.

So no need to worry about the POW of your Legionnaires.

While every faction and subfaction has a general specific style of play, we also ensured that all of them have tactical flexibility.
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 12:21 PM by David.)
03-11-2013 07:33 PM

Kousei Offline

Hello

That was a great read thank you! Smile I can see a lot more possibilities now and I am looking forward to trying them out. The Carnifexors sound extremely bad A**! btw, I can’t wait to get a hold of some.

I am a big fan of synergy with my units. So I am pretty happy that I picked the Mortans as my main faction, at this point. Now to patiently wait for my armies to come in, so we can start playing GodSlayer! Smile

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada