Strength of the Halodynes
Megalith Games - Official Forums

02-20-2013 05:45 AM

JKMyth Offline

What's the strength of the Halodynes? I see that they have some elite troops, but how do they shine? I'm curious because I *love* the look of their ogres but I'm not utterly convinced on their infantry. I think I'm going to go with the Mortans on the Kickstarter and cannot decide on the second faction. I don't like the look of the basic infantry but love the look of their hero models.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2013 06:58 AM
RE: Strength of the Halodynes

Fenris Offline

Hi JKMyth,

The Haloddynes are imho a defensive melee oriented faction which relies on buffing by tactics and magic. Every unit by it self isn't that good, but the synergies with other models make them shine.

They are definitly worth a look. Try them out.

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
02-20-2013 11:07 AM

Raoul Offline
Super Moderator

Rest assured all the factions are balanced, and the Halodynes are quite powerful due to synergies and tactical use.

Sooner or later, Simon, the godquesting Champion of the Halodynes, will drop in and tell you exactly how awesome they are... Smile

Smashing empires of man is a moral duty
03-13-2013 04:58 PM

Skylifter Offline

(02-20-2013 11:07 AM)Raoul Wrote:  Sooner or later, Simon, the godquesting Champion of the Halodynes, will drop in and tell you exactly how awesome they are... Smile

Looks like it will be later - I'd be interested in reading an overall analysis as well, even though trying stuff out on the battlefield always beats theory.
03-13-2013 06:04 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Sorry, but I'm quite bussy at the moment due to my Staatsexamen. So no time to give you an all out analysis... But there will be some articles to every model (of every faction...) soon that gives you a nice overview of strengthes and weaknesses of all the models and several tactics to use them effectively (including synergies with other models). David gave an excerpt of one in the mortan thread for the legionnaires. So please be patient a little longer... Wink (Since I worked on most of them as well I know that it shouldn't take too long until they are released)

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
03-13-2013 06:37 PM

Skylifter Offline

Alright, I shall try to be less impatient. But it is hard. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2013 06:37 PM by Skylifter.)
03-13-2013 08:44 PM

CplHicks Offline

Hill Ogres, in case they manage to get into a good position and do not roll utter shit (Grace of Achallon e.g. helps immensely there), can be devastating. As you can read in my battlereport, 4 of the 5 failed utterly and still the last one knocked out 4 Fjellwarriors in one go on his own without the buff. So buff the boys and go to town. :-D
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2013 09:21 PM

Skylifter Offline

I'll buy two units of those. Probably not two full units, though, as I think I'll probably only very rarely want to field two.

It's not that I couldn't figure out tactics myself, I just like to see other people's ideas what to do with all the things available.
03-14-2013 01:09 AM

CplHicks Offline

I get 8 with the Kickstarter but I´ll probably bring them to 2x5. Add two Priestresses and a Demarchon to that, and you have a powerful base. Arrowprotection on them until up close to the enemy, then buffing them with Grace of Achallon/Seraphic Shield. In 499 points you fit 5 Amazon Archers, too. I´ll try that army when I get my models.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2013 02:26 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Halodynes are primarily the magic-heavy faction. This gives them trmendous versatility - probably more than any other faction due to the huge number of spells and the ease of casting them.

In terms of melee units:
Hoplites - Fantastic, cheap defensive troops. Also not bad in offense. Remeber their 2-inch MEL range from the spears means you can position them so enemies with RNG1 cannot counter-attack them!
Plus their combined Strike tactic helps their mediocre MEL.

There is an article coming to the website soon for these guys and for the demarchon, giving very detailed insight into their capabilities and tactical uses.

Hill Ogres - offensive, hard-hitting, elite killers. they do however need to be used with some care because their armor is pretty average and their DEf is low.

Sons of War - elite ofensive surgical strike team with average armor, great defense and incredible melee skills. They have the highest basic MEL of any unit in the game and a basic POW of 6, plus they almost always fight first due to their higher strike rank.

Amazon Hunters - light, squishy, fast cavalry primarily used for their archery. They are also not bad in melee but should not be thrown at the toughest targets. Their 14-inch charge range is a great advantage.

Apart from that you also have the Cerberos which is pure offense and slightly squishy, but when you place him correctly (not in MEL range with lots of enemies), he can chomp through a unit one model at a time with his 4 or 5 attacks per round.

So in summary I would say Halodynes are extremely competent in melee, both offensive and defensive. they are backed up by high leadership and the best magic in the game.