Ursapine
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Ursapine
01-26-2013 12:33 PM
Ursapine

Ridmasta Offline

I've not used the big lad yet, and I have a game next club meeting 200pts vs mortans.

Anyone had any practice with it? Any tactics developed yet guys?

My Blog: http://fanplasticlittlemen.blogspot.co.uk/

Miniature Painting Service and Hobby Site
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013 12:50 PM
RE: Ursapine

PraetorDragoon Offline

Don't forget, that as it is a creature, it causes fear and can't receive orders.

The bear is fast it has 4 movement, and can spend 4 act on this movement. If combined with the beastspawn sub-faction, it has 12" charge range, otherwise it has 10". If used correctly, it can threaten everything on the table.

Stats
High mov, good melee/missle, low mag (so weak to offensive spells), decent def & arm. Decent lead, and act. Decent hp

Abilities
Antitoxin: The huge poisonous bear is immune to poison.
Pine-spine Attackers don't get charge bonus against the bear. Very, very useful, as it denies one of the best benefits of charging.

Tactics
Bristle Pines Very low act tactic that damages and poisons enemies that attack the bear. Useful, keep it up all the time unless you want to roll.
Rolling Doom Expensive act tactic. The bear rollls over enemies in a straight line. Every enemy it rolls over takes damage and poison. You may move less than the max length but must end in an unoccupied space. Deadly and useful. CAN BE USED WHILE ENGAGED!

Weapons
Claws & Jaw Low act, high damage melee.
Pines Low cost, low rng, low damage missle attack. Also poisons. Yeah it can shoot. Don't expect it to kill, but can affect enemies hit with poison. Hit important models with it and see poison stack.

Overall
Use the bear to poison high arm enemies and engage the low ones. While engaged, you can roll out of combat (enemies DON'T get free strikes) or use it as a setup for charge (as a tactic, you may used BEFORE you charge) It's main weapon is speed, so keep it moving over the board. If you don't plan on using rolling doom, keep pines up for extra defense against low arm enemies.
01-27-2013 01:19 PM

Ridmasta Offline

Nice one, I have a 200pts vs mortans soon so I'm looking forward to doom rolling through that testudo!

01-27-2013 01:24 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

@Ridmasta: That could result in a disapointment... With the POW of 2 it will be difficult to harm models with an ARM of 11....

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
01-27-2013 01:34 PM

Ridmasta Offline

D'oh! I need to read the rules again, guess he'll have to use the big claws for wamping them.

Looking forward to giving it a go tho!

01-27-2013 01:49 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Against a testudo you have some better options with Banebrood:
Cyclops - POW 7
Sulleaters - POW 6
Guthackers POW 7

Also remember the spell bulging biceps = +1 POW. Combine that with charge bonus and you can be hitting Legionnaires with POW9.
Legionnaires in Testudo have ARM11, so with POW9 you ned only 7+ on the damage roll to kill.

Even a horde of Mongrels can bring down a testudo with Bubonic Plague – causes 1D3+1 points of direct damage in addition to the damage from the regular attack. It doesnt matter if the enemy has ARM20 when you do direct damage.

If you use Mongrels, also buff them with Bulging Biceps to make them POW5 on the charge and case Jellify on the Legionnaires causing them to suffer -2 ARM.
01-27-2013 02:22 PM

Ridmasta Offline

All I have at the moment is the gorelord, pestbringer, 4 mongrels and the ursapine, we haven't started to proxy stuff at the club yet but may well do.

We are all looking forward to april when we can get all february and marchs releases up and running!

01-27-2013 03:16 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

Yeah, the bear doesn't work that well against tetsudo's or other heavy arm models. It can however cross the tetsudo and charge the squishy guys hiding behind it Smile
01-27-2013 03:31 PM

Ridmasta Offline

Plan, so the bear is fine for smacking the centurion or the preceptor?

Our other player has wyldfolk so I guess the bear is all good against their t-shirt armour haha

01-27-2013 04:41 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

Certainly the perceptor, centurion depends on his shield.

Or hunt down the warmachine crew that think they can hide behind their little scorpio Big Grin