300 points - all human
Megalith Games - Official Forums

300 points - all human
12-07-2012 07:54 AM
300 points - all human

Fenris Offline

Hi guys,

I want to try out an all human Halodynes warband. Any feedback is well appreciated.

Michael

Warband Leader (Warlord)
Bellerophon
Demarchon (42)
- City-State subfaction
- Doration of Swiftness (10)
- Mirror Shield (7)
- Helm of the Gods (8)
- Halo Ward Ring (3)
--> 70 points

Characters
Krathos
Syntarch (30)
- City-State subfaction
--> 30 points

Medeia
Sanctum Priestess (20)
- Temple subfaction
- Logos of the Gods
-- Healing Hands (3)
- Logos of Achallon
-- Killing Machine (3)
-- Warcry (5)
--> 31 points

Units
Hoplites
- City-State subfaction
- Coreunit (70)
- +1 add. Trooper (11)
--> 81 points

Sons of War
- Temple subfaction
- Coreunit (72)
--> 72 points

Attachements
Sacred Familiar
- Temple subfaction
- attached to Medeia
--> 15 points

Total: 299 points

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2012 05:40 PM
RE: 300 points - all human

PraetorDragoon Offline

......The Familliar isn't a human ;P

As your tactics seem to focus on buffing your units. You might opt for a bigger unit of hoplites. (full or 8/9)

The mirror shield is cool, but it won't see that much use. Spells would be used to snipe the Priestess/Syntarch.
12-08-2012 07:53 PM

Fenris Offline

Okay, okay ... almost human. Wink

Great idea with the greater unit of hoplites. Perhaps I'll drop the Mirror Shield and the Helm of the Gods and get a hoplon and an hoplite.

I think I'll test both lists. Thanks for your advice.

Michael

Godslayer in Kaiserslautern - if you want to play in KL please contact me here or join our Forum
12-10-2012 12:36 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Since the spell killing machine does the same as the Grace of achallon tactic of the demarchon I would replace it with another spell. I often take healing hands (a must for every priestess!!!), one sustainable spell, and one damage causing spell, giving her more versatility (and during the testing phase I had several games in which I had only the priestess left and cause I had no offensive spells I had no other chance to win the game then charge with her, which is ALWAYS a bad idea...)
Maybe replace the familiar and some items with another two hoplites... But since I like mighty warlords, I would buy only one and keep the items Wink (or even improve them... helm of the gods is one of my favorites, so I would keep it; the hoplon is sufficiant if you don´t expect a Mortifex or a Bisotaur, but the spiked hoplon is my favorite; the halo ward ring is a good choice against Banebrood (Brood) and Mortans (Technocrates), but as an all-time-favorite I have the Power crystal (specially with the Doration of Swiftness...)...
And think of a drink as well... 8 HP in an instand is a nice thing, and +1 to all Stats really nice (DEF 16 and ARM 12 for one round while in phalanx (and with the helm of the gods...) is the best defense you can get in the game so far...and with that comes MEL 9, MOV 4 (!), LEAD 11...)

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
12-10-2012 05:25 PM

Fenris Offline

Hi Simon,

some really good tips and ideas. Thank you. It´s time to get some games and practice.

Michael

12-12-2012 12:39 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Buffing option
Although The Demarchon is a competent killer when tooled-up with items, I think you will get more value for points using him to buff units. that means he wont have action tokens for fighting in most rounds, so no need to throw him into the melee until late in the game. For that reason you could drop a defensive item and use a cheaper weapon.
This will enable you to get some more Hoplites, especially if you drop the familiar.

Melee option
Although you get better value for points by buffing large units, the Demarchon can also turn the tide of the game as a melee fighter. Statistically you are more likely to win more games using the buffing option, but if you select your targets well and play him right with a great combo of items then the melee killer can also be equally effective. I would say that this option requires more skill than the buffing option.
In this role he needs to:
A) take down the enemy warlord
B) cut down enemy elite troops (like Guthackers, Cromlech Guard, Carnifexors etc), being careful to engage only one at a time.
C) buff your troops at critical moments
D) cut down medium-strength monsters (be careful not to get him bogged down fighting the heavy hitters, otherwise he can become exposed to charges)
E) Take out any high-points targets of opportunity such as enemy characters.

I suggest you try playing both options and see which style you enjoy most.
12-12-2012 06:44 AM

Fenris Offline

Hi David,

thanks for the recommendations. I´ll try both options. It´s time that I´ll finish painting my Starterbox. Can´t wait to play a few games.

Michael

12-18-2012 07:24 PM

Dangerousbeans Offline

More Hoplites for sure. I thought the Demarchon would be an in-your-face killing machine but in practice he does tend to spend a lot of the time behind the front lines, buffing units with Defiant in Death (AMAZING tactic) and Grace of Archellon (or whatever it's called) so generally he's left with 2 AP for himself, which he'll mostly be using to move out of the way! It's only really late-game that he'll spring to the front and slice up whatever needs slicing up. To be honest, I generally kit mine out with a Bronze Spear and Hoplon and little else.

I cannot stress how awesome 'Defiant in Death' is, and you'll really want a big unit to take maximum advantage of it. Timing it right can be tricky, as it disappears at the start of the units next activation, so usually best to cast it *after* the target unit has activated. Although you can still get some mileage from it by casting it early in the turn and watching your enemy get more and more frustrated. Coupled with their 2" melee range, Hoplites can become the ultimate tar-pit unit, so I'd generally always recommend fielding a unit of ten when using a Demarchon.
12-18-2012 08:01 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Dangerousbeans wrote:
Quote:...as it disappears at the start of the units next activation...

Actually it disappears at the start of the units next activation IN THE FOLLOWING ROUND! Smile

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
12-18-2012 09:57 PM

Fenris Offline

Hi Dangerousbeans,

I already discovered the lovliness of Defiant in Death. I maximised the Hoplites. Can't wait for the first 300-points game.

Michael