Troglodyte - 300 pts
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Troglodyte - 300 pts
11-22-2012 02:06 PM
Troglodyte - 300 pts

PraetorDragoon Offline

Because my first models are Troglodytes (And the reavers seem so far away Sad ), I decided to honor them with a list.

Warlord
Grondagh Flithling (28)
Bow
- Composite Bow (4)
Sword
- Slasher (4)
Talisman
- Mask of Dusk (6)

Sidekick
Grondagh Flithling (28)
Sword
- Shatterbow (8)
Bow
- Slasher (4)
Potion
- Ointment of False Scent (3)

Characters
Feral Hammerfist (38)

Units
5 Ironhide Brutes (80)

4 Longshadows (85)
- Otherworld Stability (4)
- Twillight Gleaming (6)

In general, there are two filthlings. The Warlord will walk with the Brutes/Hammerfist and give them sneaky movement (Move before charge to Ironbrutes or free charge movement to the Hammerfist) and be sneaky in general. The other will snipe low arm enemies from afar. Longshadows will support either of the filthlings.

I intended to add a Lighteater, but I am in don't know what to remove. Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2012 12:51 PM
RE: Troglodyte - 300 pts

David Offline
Administrator

It's a solid warband with two great units and a kick-ass character.

I would say the second Filthling is a little expensive to be used as an archer. Of course it's always good to have a sidekick who can become warlord when the warlord-Filthling dies, but the Sidekick needs to have a more useful role. So you could drop him and take a Lighteater instead. By the way, the Slasher sword is taken by both Filthlings, but a warband can only take the same item once; that's just too sneaky even for a Filthling :-)

The Lighteater is extremely useful when facing shooty warbands because of Eclipse and Shroud of Blackening tactics. He is also good at taking out enemy spell-casters. Plus his Midnight Aura is beneficial for the Longshadows.

So maybe worth giving the Lighteater a try.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2012 12:52 PM by David.)
11-26-2012 01:24 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

Wait, there is something that's too sneaky for a filthling? D: *Attempts to hide a huge pile of slashers in the closest*

So, how could the sidekick be given a more useful role? I like the idea of sneaking two warlords in it Wink
11-26-2012 06:05 PM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Since their melee skills are rather...hmm... lets say, not the very best... they should be used from afar or sneaking behind enemy units to kill easy prey like spellcasters or warmachines. They will suck and get slain in an instant when thrown into direct melee... From that point of view you could keep your two filthlings as they are (exept for the multiple slasher, of course...)

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
11-27-2012 01:50 AM

David Offline
Administrator

Simon's right about taking out characters and warmachines, but the Lighteater could also perform the same role....perhaps even better.

The awesome thing about the Sidekick is that you have a spare warlord with you in case the first one isn't quite sneaky enough to stay alive :-)
11-27-2012 12:46 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

I'm thinking about slinking down both units by 1 model in order to get a Lighteater. I will make the second Filthling cheaper. (And I will drop the slasher of course. Nobody did notice I took it right Wink)
11-28-2012 01:16 PM

David Offline
Administrator

I like big units so I would not drop trooper models.

If winning and constructing a tournament-style warband is your priority, then I would consider replacing the Hammerfist with the Lighteater. Because of the way the mechanics of the rules are constructed, larger units improve chances of winning because you can leverage them with buffs from spells, tactics and assigned action tokens. The Hammerfist is an awesome and fun model to play but he does not figure in the key mechanic of "character buffing unit = greatest advantage". He is rather a loner. Certainly he can be very useful with his many attacks and knockdown ability, but to be as useful as the Lighteater, he needs to be played carefull yin conjunction with your warband - for example activate him and knockdown some enemies, then activate your Brutes and charged the knocked-down models. Such loner models are easy to play in straight-forward melee, but to get the same value for points from a Loner compared to the value for points of a typical buffing-character, they require more careful play.

But since I love the Hammerfist I would also keep it. What I would actually do is drop the Sidekick and only use him in 400 point+ games. Then I would be careful that my sneaky warlord doesn't end up in melee.
11-28-2012 03:53 PM

PraetorDragoon Offline

You make a very convincing argument for keeping the Hammerfist Big Grin

My goal is to make a fun list that's able to win a few games. (And lose of course. It isn't fun when you always win)

I guess I will hide my warlord behind the Hammerfist (Lower sight value, yay for cover rules Big Grin) and replace my sidekick with a Lighteater. (I love both, so removing one of them hurts me. Sad)
11-28-2012 08:55 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Sounds cool.

I try to keep the Filthling inside some forest or other difficult terrain if possible and behind all the melee models.