mortan tactics
Megalith Games - Official Forums

mortan tactics
11-17-2016 12:08 AM
mortan tactics

Khal Offline

When I play mortans I use the legion sub faction and one war machine, Scorpio or the catapult. I always use a centurion, one unit of legionnaires, one unit of carnifixers and a mage. Thing is I'm always stuck in using a defensive tactic. Let te opposing player approach, shoot something,use the legionnares to pin the him down and finish the job with the warlord and the carnifixers. I like to play like this because it's quite succesfull, but for the opposing player It's somewhat boring. I like to try some other play style but have no idea what to do whit this warband. I can swap the war machine for two extra carnifixers and the mage for a princeptor. Does anybody has a suggestion on a general tactic I can try out?

Club: The Green Knight
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2016 12:22 AM by Khal.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-17-2016 05:04 PM
RE: mortan tactics

spy Offline

Well, for the Legion Sub faction your list is already quite optimised.

Normally you move Forward with the centurion (your killer) and one unit of legionnaires to cover him / bring him to the target.
The legionairs take the intended target point and hold it. Your centurion get in contact with your enemies, kill them with up to 6 attacks per round and boost your legionairs.
In the meanwhile Mage, Bolts and Rock slowly drain the live points/models of your enemies.

Yes that is boring. But that is the only effective way to kill you enemies with a Legion list.
You may swap the artillery for an instopable monster (Moloch) and give the mage a different role (suporter for the Moloch).
That will create a totally different army for your enemies to take care of.

Also, a Princeptor or 2 would change the way you play the game.

In General leaving the artillery away will completly change the game style you play (not a real close combat army but also not a pure defensive army anymore).

Just try...
11-17-2016 07:07 PM

Hansolo Offline

Yeah, I'll have to agree with Spy. If you want some change remove the warmachines and try facing your enemies only with melee and magic units. Most of the times it would be your units that will be charged, so be prepared to proper receive charge damage and fight back.
11-17-2016 08:03 PM

Khal Offline

Great, thanks guys!

I'll try the moloch for a change.

11-18-2016 07:34 PM

manic _miner Offline

I have not played any games yet but most will come down to the scenario being played too.
Mixing up your forces from time to time will also help you get to know the full range and how they work best together.
Swapping things around will also keep your opponent's on there toe's Wink.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2016 11:42 PM

David Offline
Administrator

Wave-2 models for Legions open up more options. For example in the starter-deal for Wave-2 will have the Provincial auxiliaries. These guys are medium infantry and not so skilled as the Legionnaires but cheaper and a little more offensive. They also have the possibility (with a second profile card) to be fielded as a single unit of scouts with Wildwalker ability. This version of the auxiliaries is lighter and faster.

Both versions have very cool and characterful rules.

The Auxiliary Prefect warlord backs this up, because he has a more offensive style than the Centurion.

The character for the starterdeal is the Coricen which will be awesome for any Mortan warband. He definitely has one talent which can increase the speed of minis a little by quick-marching. that's just the beginning, because there will also be another Legion warlord - the Tribune - who has some very cool strategic abilities and tactics opening up new strategies.

The Mortan ogre Hastati Guard although ideal for defensive roles, are also good general medium infantry with 2-inch spears. So these guys can be played pretty offensively too.
11-22-2016 09:22 AM

manic _miner Offline

I like the sound of the new units David.When will they be due out?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2016 08:16 PM

Khal Offline

Hi there,
I'm really looking forward to the wave 2 minis. Looks like they will bring up a lot of new playstyles for the Legion sub faction. Keep us posted on the progress David!