Jacens Warbands
Megalith Games - Official Forums

Jacens Warbands
07-13-2016 10:53 AM
RE: Jacens Warbands

Jacen Offline

I've forgotten the Hill Ogres to complete the Citystate Subfaction, so here they come.

And with them my other beloved models to finish my Halodynes: The Sons of War.

P.S. I hate pictures, they show exactly where you should spend more time on the minis.
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2016 11:05 AM

udunsflame Offline

Nice color scheme!! can you post a picture of the whole army standing together?
It'll look amazing I presume?

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2016 12:26 PM

Klaxler Offline

I would like to see a group picture too! The red on the Sons of War comes out quite nice. Smile
07-13-2016 12:37 PM

spy Offline

(07-13-2016 10:53 AM)Jacen Wrote:  P.S. I hate pictures, they show exactly where you should spend more time on the minis.
Absolutly right...
But your miniatures look really good already!

If you want to improve them you could invest some time in details.
E.g. Sons of War: If you draw a thin red (?) line at the bottom of the white tunic it would improve the model a lot.

BUT

If you want to this "extra little details" the time spent per miniature will raise dramatically!
Always ask yourself: Is it worth it? Will anybody recognize the details? Am I a gamer or a painter? ...

Again: Your miniatures look really good already. Smile
07-13-2016 03:44 PM

laurens Offline

After looking at most players troops i Always think about the same thing.
Wow they have great numbers on there base! I wish I could paint numbers as well.

I would prefer getting get numbers on a waterslide transfer (decals). I remember those things from my beginning time in gaming.

Isnt it a idea for megalith games to make somme decals with numbers / Symbols?

Just my 2 cents of today

Club: The Green Knight

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
07-13-2016 07:02 PM

manic _miner Offline

You do get to see all the little imperfections when your miniatures are blown up with pictures.Yours still look good but like Spy say's with a little more time they will look even better.Only a few things to tidy up that i can see.

Must get some paint onto some of mine.But what to do first Wink.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2016 09:59 AM

Jacen Offline

Thanks, I was also thinking about a group shot. I think I will do it, when I have finished the Amazon Hunters.
But I have a mood shot between some Halodynes and Troggs fighting, which I've done December 2014. So I will show you that after the Troglodytes Unit shots.

Yes, especially the red cloak took some time more (or I just allowed more time for that work ; ). I think I will keep this style for the Halodynes, so the overall look keeps the same. Next I want to paint some minis from Freebooters Fate. There you only have single models. I can convince myself to spend more time on a single model than if I have to repeat that work for a unit. Until then I think I will be focussing on cleaner painting.
By the way the Halodynes have been a big step forward from Warhammer, where you have really huge numbers of the same model to paint. I think I tried layering only two times, before I started with the Halodynes and took more time per model.
I think I will use some "extra little details" on another unit of the Sons of War. So I don't have to redo a unit and still improve Wink.

I always have been more the gamer (I never thought about getting the models painted at this level, when I started with the Hobby). But currently I haven't been gaming much. So I think I am becoming something of a Hibyrid. Painting for the game, without playing Big Grin.

Freehands are a complicated thing so I just did the roman numbers, which only need straight lines. And actually I am not that happy with them, but you can recognize which model is which and that's the whole deal.
The tip is like like always in painting: Try, learn and it will improve.

So after the long text here are some new pictures. The Halodynes need someone to fight for. I wanted another style than humans, so I thougt huge brutes should also be easier and faster to paint. They are not! You need longer and more paint (obvious) and the layering is pretty clear to see, so you have to work even more on this level Smile.

And since then I really started to love the force of balance!

So here they come:

07-14-2016 10:21 AM

Klaxler Offline

I see, you like blood. Big Grin
The purple comes really nice, the rusty armour too. Thats a really good look! The layer on the Hammerfist ist pretty hard, that would be worth softing out, at least a little. Smile
07-14-2016 02:45 PM

manic _miner Offline

Nice painting on the Trogs.I also like the bases you have them on.
07-15-2016 09:00 AM

Jacen Offline

Yes, the Hammerfist was the first to test layering on big areas (as I described before I wasn't aware that bigger minis would need that Wink ).
With three steps layering the middle layer is actually a really good layer step if there would be 5 or even more.
I just hesitate to redo minis when there are still others that have no paint on them (and there are always some...).
Thanks for the input I will keep it in mind for future minis. And maybe there will come the time, when I will revisit these minis.
I really am thankful, just wanted to tell you why you shouldn't expect it to change soon. Especially not on the Fleshpounder, who you will see today.

I wanted to do something like lavabases, which did work really nice for me. But now, when I get new Trogs to do, I always think "Oh no, I have to do the bases again." Wink