Warband with Direct Damage
Megalith Games - Official Forums

06-06-2016 08:40 PM

ShiroiSan Offline

Hi all!
I'm a new player of this cool game and i'm looking for my warband.
The choice was very difficult because every faction has its great charm.
Foremost a feature that intrigued me a lot was the Direct Damage, and so i ask you experienced gamers some clarification and advice to build on a solid warband based on it.
I quote the complete description of the Direct Damage for more clarity:
<Sometimes model suffer damage which is not by armor (or other effect), for example from falling, fire, acid, crushing or psychic damage, ect. This is referred to as Direct Damage. As the term suggest, direct damage is applied directly to the model without reduction from armor. Simply mark one box off the model's health bar for each point of direct damage it suffers. GODSLAYER includes many possibilities for the reduction of damage such as magical talismans, protective spells and certain abilities reflecting the toughness of some models. Effects originating from abilities, items, spells, etc, which would normally reduce the amount of damage suffered by a model are not applied against direct damage.>

I'd thought for a simply start warband: Obsidian Nightmare (Dusk Whip, Mask of Dusk, Discarnate, Grayblood / Midnight Blessing) and 2 Feral Fleshpounder.
A little doubt that came out is if i use Discarnate <target model/unit gains the ability Ethereal and does half damage when performing a melee attacks> on the Feral Fleshpounder and use Bonecrusher <instead of making a melee damage roll, the Feral Fleshpounder may choose to cause 2D3 direct damage>, the Feral suffer of this debuff on damage or not?
In conclusion, anyone can explain me the right use of the mechanics of Obfuscation in a melee combat?

So, i'll be happy to receive all your suggestions! Thank you all in advance! Smile
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016 08:27 AM
RE: Warband with Direct Damage

udunsflame Online

Hi ShiroiSan, First of all welcome! Nice to see new players!

This is my opinion:
- Discarnate & Bonecrusher: These 2 abilities can perfectly stack... So the Feral Fleshpounder would do 2D3 / 2 direct damage.
I'll try to explain: Discarnate halves the damage dealt (from the attackers side). The explanation of Direct Damage says "the damage suffered"... (from the defenders point of view)...
In this example: If you are ethereal you do less damage... On the defenders side, there is nothing that can reduce the suffered damage...

- Obfuscation: There is no effect in melee combat... Only for the model when it is being charged. The charger must be within 6"... otherwise he could not see the model. In melee combat there is no effect when 2 models with a different sight value attack each other.
If the model is in melee combat, you can see him from furter then 6" away...

I hope I could help!
Grtz

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
(This post was last modified: 06-07-2016 08:28 AM by udunsflame.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016 02:02 PM

ShiroiSan Offline

First of all, thank you udunsflame for your opinion! Smile

(06-07-2016 08:27 AM)udunsflame Wrote:  This is my opinion:
- Discarnate & Bonecrusher: These 2 abilities can perfectly stack... So the Feral Fleshpounder would do 2D3 / 2 direct damage.
I'll try to explain: Discarnate halves the damage dealt (from the attackers side). The explanation of Direct Damage says "the damage suffered"... (from the defenders point of view)...
In this example: If you are ethereal you do less damage... On the defenders side, there is nothing that can reduce the suffered damage...

IMHO i'd thought that Bonecrusher was not reduced by Discarnate because in description "half damage only when performing a melee attacks" and Bonecrusher states that "instead of making a melee damage roll... cause 2D3 direct damage", so not being envisaged the direct damage, it's not half at all (?)
Furthermore the flavor description of Fleshpounder states "..grab the enemy and crush it.." like in description of direct damage (that are not affected by abilities, items, spells, etc.).

(06-07-2016 08:27 AM)udunsflame Wrote:  - Obfuscation: There is no effect in melee combat... Only for the model when it is being charged. The charger must be within 6"... otherwise he could not see the model. In melee combat there is no effect when 2 models with a different sight value attack each other.
If the model is in melee combat, you can see him from furter then 6" away...

Yeah my fault, i understood rereading it after writing the post xD
06-07-2016 02:12 PM

udunsflame Online

Hi ShiroiSan, no problem...

It says "instead of making a melee damage roll"... It does not say "instead of making a melee attack".
In all other discussions about some rules these are definitely 2 different moments/actions. When the fleshpounder chooses to do the direct damage, it does not have to roll for melee damage against the enemies ARM value... instead it does direct damage. But this attack still counts as an melee attack. So it fits the description of Discarnate.

The flavor description could be correct if you think that the damage dealt when grabbing an enemy when you are ethereal does less damage then when you would grab an enemy with pure muscle power... ;-)

udunsminis
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016 02:29 PM

ShiroiSan Offline

Yes, it's precisely the point that created the doubt. Thanks again for the clarification Smile

In your opinion is anyway a solid warband strategy or not?
06-07-2016 02:39 PM

udunsflame Online

At first sight, mabye... Direct damage is pretty good, but 2D3 is not that much...
(even without the reduction).. But its only 1 ACT to make an attack.
It can be a good combo, but probably a but too expensive for such a combination. (you'll have about 150-200 pts.)
I haven't seen it, but it definitely worth trying!

udunsminis
06-07-2016 02:51 PM

ShiroiSan Offline

I think exactly like you, so much expensive combination in points and money also xD
I'll try and let you know!
Thanks again for everything, and if you've any new suggestions i'll always enjoy reading them Smile
06-08-2016 11:11 AM

laurens Offline

I played a few times with a direct dmg list

Which combines the shadow fraction with somme core Brutes.
A really hard but difficult gameplay. move in dmg and retreat with the long shadows.

works well against slow and few models: nordgaard dwarfs.

against faster army's you are in a bit of trouble when you avoid the close combat for a few turns.

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
06-09-2016 01:39 PM

ShiroiSan Offline

Yes, i tried to play yesterday a 200p list (Obsidian, 2 Feral, 1 Lighteater) vs a Banedrood list (Gorelord, Pestbringer, Mongrels, young Manticore). They're really fast and engaged my Obsidian at the second round with Manticore, which exploded at third under the blows of a lucky Gorelord. I responded killing the Gorelord with the 2 Feral, stunned the Manticore with Feral's horror and i went for a easy victory in the next 3 rounds.

You advise me to play Long shadows? At first look it doesn't seem so strong for the cost they've, but perhaps i'm wrong.
Furthermore, Beatdown mechanical of Feralpounder against enemies with Arm 13 or higher automatically fails?
(This post was last modified: 06-09-2016 02:48 PM by ShiroiSan.)
06-09-2016 03:21 PM

VoidGames Offline

I was his adversary yesterday, or maybe i'll say his Dummy doll ahahah