Spectral - Blackwater Banshee
Megalith Games - Official Forums

02-26-2016 10:56 AM

udunsflame Offline

Hi folks, just a little question to see if nothing was interpreted wrong...

Yesterday Laurens played a Wyldfolk list with 2 Banshees...
He played against Troglodyte list with Brutes and runts...

The Banshees probably killed the Trogs entire army... The problem of the Troglodyte player was, that he could not hit or attack the Banshees...

The 2 Banshees kept on using the Kiss Of Death Tactic... Killing the runts easy! Gaining lots of vitae tokens (max 6) the Kiss of death was used against the Brutes with POW 3...

If you count the attack:
2 Banshees
5 ACT (max, if 4+ is rolled at the start of the activation)
=> 4 MOVE actions and 2 times Kiss of Death??? And no one can hit the Banshees with a melee attack... pity if you only have melee attacks...

Is this correct??? pretty hard if you ask me...
If you can hit it with a missile attack, why can't you hit it with a melee attack?

I think it should be possible to hit the Banshee with a melee attack, but it never counts as engaging...

FAQ Factions Wrote:Spectral - a model with this rule can only be targeted by enchanted attacks, but since it cannot be engaged does it ignore Free Strikes, even from enchanted attacks?
Yes, it does prevent free strikes from normal and enchanted weapons. She cannot be engaged, so no MEL attacks can affect her, however, she may still be targeted by MAG attacks and enchanted missile attacks as well as spells.

FAQ is very clear that you cannot attack a Banshee with a MELEE attack unless they use the SOUL SCREECH ability... But the SOUL SCREECH attack is not that good compared to the KISS OF DEATH

Club: The Green Knight
udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016 11:39 AM
RE: Spectral - Blackwater Banshee

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Actually she CAN be attacked with enchanted MEL attacks (that was indeed how she was tested...), so the warlord can always try to kill her. He can just not engage her so no free strikes are allowed against her. The wording must be corrected here...

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016 11:42 AM

udunsflame Offline

Ok, As I thought... Thank Simon!

Can she be charged then? only by enchanted 'charge attacks'?

udunsminis
"A trap is only a trap if you walk into it before you see it"- Flint Fireforge.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016 11:52 AM

Simon Offline
Super Moderator

Yes. A cunning warlord can prevent that, but at least he has to take it into consideration and can't act completely free.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
02-26-2016 02:14 PM

laurens Offline

So if i get this right:
The banshee can be only be charged / engaged by models with enchanted attacks (warlords)
otherwise the banshee can only be hit by MIS and MAG attacks.

So the game plan for a list like I played yesterday is to kill warlords - shooting and casters and then spam with the Banshees.

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
02-26-2016 03:26 PM

Alexander Offline

This should be clarified soon. A working system of FAQ/Errata is the bread and butter of every rules system, as you can't request every player to know everything written in some rules forums.
I highly recommend to put more work into this (and myself i am working on the german FAQ/Errata), as this one of the central points is how a system is kept alive.
This is, of course, not meant to be some "flaming" but constructive criticism. Smile

Talking about the banshee i have two questions:
If you have two Banshees, do both get a token for the same model that dies?
Do they get tokens from undead/non-living models?
The rules say yes to both, my question is: Is it intended to be like this?
02-26-2016 04:45 PM

Huscarl Offline

If you read the fluff description of the Vitae Pool ability, then it should be obvious that it is not intended that both banshees get a token for the same model.

@Laurens: I think that some factions could really mess up your plan, e.g. Banebrood with the Cyclops. Plus many warlords have access to an item, that give them some form of immunity to Missile or magic attacks.
02-26-2016 05:36 PM

laurens Offline

(02-26-2016 04:45 PM)Huscarl Wrote:  @Laurens: I think that some factions could really mess up your plan, e.g. Banebrood with the Cyclops. Plus many warlords have access to an item, that give them some form of immunity to Missile or magic attacks.

That is why we also use the 2 list tournaments. Smile

The list was a test setup. to learn how to play the fraction.

"You have to learn the rules of the game.
And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein
02-26-2016 06:10 PM

Alexander Offline

(02-26-2016 04:45 PM)Huscarl Wrote:  If you read the fluff description of the Vitae Pool ability, then it should be obvious that it is not intended that both banshees get a token for the same model.

Sorry - i do own the german rulebook! It's fluff description simply says (translated literally) "Banshees are the sheperts of the souls of the dead". Nothing to find here. Thank you anyway - seems to be a relevant point for a (german) FAQ also.

@ Warlord-Killing-list:
Might work - i don't see the cyclops as a big problem, he usually has other stuff to do than hunting banshees and hits them only on 8+, paying 2 tokens just for the chance...
But as Huscarl wrote, items are the problem - and to take 1 of 2 different lists doesn't help here, as you don't know your oppontent's items before.
However, Banshees are pretty good in assassinating other models than warlords also - and that Pow 0-template can be useful too without paying tokens. Also, the extra tokens they can give your models/units make some really powerful turns possible.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2016 06:13 PM by Alexander.)
02-26-2016 11:35 PM

Huscarl Offline

I am sorry for the snappish tone, Alexander; it was not meant that way.
I have read probably too much into the fluff line; I was just assuming that the Banshee would collect the entire life force for herself and leave nothing behind for the others.

As for the Cyclops issue, I think that it may be occasionally convenient to have this threat option, and even if he does not hit anything, I could imagine that he would be a bit intimidating on a psychological level. But I have not much experience with the Banebrood, so that is all only theory.