Troglodytes with Obsidian Nightmare 350 P.
Megalith Games - Official Forums

01-05-2016 06:54 PM

Alexander Offline

Hello,
as i wanted to play Shadow Trolls but read about the problems with pure Shadow Troll Lists i came up with the following list. We usually play 350 points as they allow all players to fit in everything they want. With Troglodytes it's a bit tricky, though. Wink

Obsidian Shadow 50
- Dusk Whip 7
- Iron Crown(?) 7 (i use the german rule book - is it "iron crown" in English?)
Spells:
- ?

Lighteater 32
Lighteater 32

Feral Fleshpounder 48

3 Longshadows 65
Spells:
- Otherworld Stability 4
- Twilight Gleaming 6

3 Ironhide Brutes 50

Skullsmasher Oakbows 39

My thoughts:
1. This leaves 10 points for spells for the Obsidian Shadow. I prefer "Shadow Explosion" (again, german rulebook, the single target 2d3 direct damage thing for 5 Points), as i don't like Pow2 AoE that much. But - any suggestions?
2. The Oakbows are in the list because i like to have something that can shoot and the models are just too cool.
3. I wanted two Lighteaters because i prefer creepy things that lurk around over into-the-face-beaters. I also like annoying the enemy with fog.
4. In our last games i did like Medium-Base-Units in packs of three, as my mighty Fomorians rarely all 5 reached the combat.

So, i am happy about all suggestions! Thank you in advance! Smile

Alex
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2016 06:54 PM by Alexander.)
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016 10:35 AM
RE: Troglodytes with Obsidian Nightmare 350 P.

Till Offline

@Obsidian Nightmare + Spells
If you want the Oakbows then you also want them to shoot twice. For that you need to give them 2 ACT. For that you need your leader + Packlasher, or your Obsidian Nightmare + "Twilight Salvation. (The third spell from the top that costs 2 ACT and gives 1 ACT to target unit.) That way your Obsidian Nigtmare can spend 3 ACT to give the Oakbows 2 ACT and they effectively doubled their threat.

Also the the Longshadows really love to have additional ACT to in order to move forward then use their range 8 direct damage attack and retreat out of charge distance again.

Therefore I would always give your Obsidian Nightmare this spell. This second ACT enables playstyles that 1 ACT wouldn't. So totally worth it.

Personally I don't like the attack spells of the Nightmare as they leave him in charge range usually. (At least I can't guess ranges on the inch exactly to stand in that small range band where the enemy can't charge me but I can spell attack.) Midnight Blessing. The one that gives +1MEL might be interesting especially, because you can sustain for 1 ACT and then the cost is fine. But that also goes more in line with the way I use the Nightmare as a buffer. Therefore I don't have the ACT to attack with him. Or if I attack I can't let him spend ACT to make my units more awesome. So the direct damage spell might work out fine if your playstyle is different.

@Obsidian Nightmare + Talisman
You don't want the iron crown. Your Shadow Trolls can use their sub-faction ability either way, because your leader is a Shadow Troll. The iron crown is only usefull if you have a non-Shadow Troll leader, because then the Shadow Trolls normally wouldn't be able to use their sub-faction ablility.

I would recommend the Mask of Dusk. (Maske des Staubs?) The one that makes him immune to all ranged, magic and spell attacks. Agreed it's situative. But it makes your Nightmare so much safer.

@Ironhide Brutes or Feral Grayhorns
You might want to think to invest 2 Points to Upgrade the Brutes to Grayhorns. Agreed they have very low power. But for high armor targets you have your direct damage anyway. But the Feral Grayhorns are light infantry so they charge further AND they may charge through the eclipse templates from the Lighteaters. And 2 additional ACT from the Nightmare do result in 2 additional attacks. Not just 1 as it is with the Brutes. So this offsets a bit the lower Power.

@Fleshpounder or Hammerfist
The Fleshpounder is the better meele beatstick. Totally agreed here. But the Hammerfist can benefit from the Obfuscation tactic of the Nightmare what the Fleshpounder being a creature can't. But Obfuscation is such a nice tactic it want's to be used. Nothing makes my shadow troll heart jump with more joy than standing in front of the enemy and tell him: "You can't touch this.".

@Longshadows
I always would recommend playing them as a full unit. It's just way more ACT efficient giving the unit 2 additional ACT when 5 models benefit from it than when only 3 models do benefit. Also their hit and run playstyle with their RNG 8 attack is actually not that threatening with 3 models. 5 Longhshadows have a reasonable chance of killing 1 model. With 3 there you need luck or 2 rounds. That's time you usually don't have. But again maybe you play them different from myself, then 3 models might be what you need. And you definitly would need to forego one unit in order to get the Longshadows to their full size and that I understood you don't want.

Regarding their spell selection. I think both spells can be neglected. They are situative at best and in game I don't find myself in having the ACT to really cast them. Especially Otherworld Stability is so frustrating to use when only 1 model needs to heal (because your oponent did his job of focus firing right) but all models loose the ACT. But hey if you can't buy anything else with the leftover points you might as well buy them because there might be the one or the other game where one of those spells gets used.
01-06-2016 11:42 AM

Klaxler Offline

@Till: Thanks for all the hints, though I have not asked these questions. Next on my Desk are Longshadows, so when they are painted and ready to play, your hints are worthy!

@Alexander: In general I would also suggest to play a full unit Longshadows. If your opponent focusses on them, three models are gone quick. Same with the Brutes, which stats are to average to dont play thme full-size. I would also prefer to use a full unit of longshadows combined with Grayhorns und Hammerfists. Ok, the oakbows are cool and you want to play them, nothing against to say. But as Till said, you need the Packlasher and your Leader to let them shoot twice.

-->>> Sum up: I would take Ironhide and Oakbows out to fill the unit of Longshadows and add Hammerfists / Grayhorns. Smile
01-06-2016 03:15 PM

Alexander Offline

Wow! Till, thank you very much for introducing me to the full tactical depth of this game!
Thank you Klaxler also very much!

Oooops - i read "troglodyte models" on the iron crown, not "shadow troll". Nevermind, stupid me! Then of course the mask of dusk (Maske des Sonnenuntergangs in german) is better!

I get your point with the Oakbows - thank you. I will use them in an other list sooner or later. I also get the point with the 5 Longshadows - also thank you.

The thing is, all my last games i played against Mortans and had to learn that pow2 or even pow3 is not that efficient against those legions or the undead. (I was not frustrated though, because i played Banebrood, where pow5+ is no problem!)

I do NOT want to build an anti-Mortan-list, as i like to build allround-lists and test them against different enemies, but i fear having not enough power. Halodynes and Mortans might pass most checks against the Greyhorns, so pow2 only, and the Hammerfists also have only 3.

But of course, i see your points, and i see a Shadow Troll List uses Fogs and "Can't touch this!" ( Smile ) instead of pure power. I will test the Hammerfist anyway sooner or later, as he is in the starter box, and then decide how to modify my list. Thank you! Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 03:17 PM by Alexander.)